Old Forester Birthday 2013

P&MLiquorsEric
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

OFBB is from a single days distillation, but do they really mingle each and every barrel intended for OFBB prior to bottling? Perhaps they do, in which case I guess cork failure, or a problem during the bottling run itself with either contaminated bottles or equipment would be the only explanation other than it comes down to personal taste.

The "honey barrel" phenomenon is often the same problem with wine reviews (cherry-picked samples sent to the reviewer) so that is not unique to whiskey, and there have been plenty of wines with perfect enclosures that don't live up to the review - many premium wines are batched and bottled, in some cases barrel by barrel (so many premium wines can be thought of as "single barrel" or at least "small batch"). Wine is also much more fragile and more susceptible to storage/transportation conditions.

Sku's review gives me cause for concern since I think he get's his whiskey they way most of us do - off the shelf. I think there is a difference when a reviewer says "this is good whiskey but not my thing" compared to "this is really unpleasant stuff". So the extremes in these reviews at least points to some concern over bottle variability.

I've had bottles that didn't live up to their highest reviews and some that were much better than their lowest reviews. Now I set my expectations mid level thereby avoiding disappointments and am sometimes pleasantly surprised.

I've had bottles that didn't live up to their highest reviews and some that were much better than their lowest reviews. Now I set my expectations mid level thereby avoiding disappointments and am sometimes pleasantly surprised.

True enough ... my tolerance/forgiveness is inversely proportional to what I paid, however ... :grin:

So is mine which is why I avoid high priced NDP mystery whisky.

What, a clever hardly believable marketing story isn't enough to justify a $50 lottery ticket? ... :grin:

I revisited and had another pour yesterday. I like it. Again the nose is incredible and I think that is what is throwing off the taste, may be that the nose is too good compared to the taste. While this certainly isn't an "A" in my book I would give it a B+/A-. Palate: Sweet, some chocolate and hints of fruit. Finish: caramel, butterscotch, some spice, but doesn't linger as long as expected.

I'm not sure what SKU was drinking, but this wasn't bitter to me at all... then again maybe I have different taste buds!

The $5 a year increases have been a big turn-off for me. First one I had for $35 I thought was worth every penny. Next one was $40, and I thought a bit overpriced. Didn't pick up last years at $45, and the taste I had left me with no regrets for having passing. If it's over $50? For 97 proof juice? I'm definitely passing it. At least until I've tried it :lol: I understand inflation and all, but $5 a year is a lot (although I don't begrudge them for getting what they can for their product; just won't be my dough!)

I revisited and had another pour yesterday. I like it. Again the nose is incredible and I think that is what is throwing off the taste, may be that the nose is too good compared to the taste. While this certainly isn't an "A" in my book I would give it a B+/A-. Palate: Sweet, some chocolate and hints of fruit. Finish: caramel, butterscotch, some spice, but doesn't linger as long as expected.

I'm not sure what SKU was drinking, but this wasn't bitter to me at all... then again maybe I have different taste buds!

What's really odd is the price varied that much here within two counties. I've found bottles this year at $50 and $38 dollars within 10 miles of one another.

What's really odd is the price varied that much here within two counties. I've found bottles this year at $50 and $38 dollars within 10 miles of one another.

Keep going, maybe it's gets cheaper the closer you go to the rickhouses! Seriously though, $38 is a heck of a deal.

I understand inflation and all, but $5 a year is a lot ...

Look on the bright side, OFBB inflation is coming down every year.:lol:

I believe it is supposed to be ~$50-55. I got mine for ~$38 as well, but it may just have been that specific store?

$38 is around cost in KY. Has to be a pricing error.

And brown foreman has the most consistent price increases in the game.

I saw an ancient Brown Foreman whiskey bottle at an antique store yesterday priced at $150. Because of this thread, I imagined the BF had just been there, updating the price for this year.

$38 is around cost in KY. Has to be a pricing error.

And brown foreman has the most consistent price increases in the game.

Ok, realize this is an odd one....has the cork on the OFBB always been this flimsy? I've had an '11 and '12, but never noticed what the "handle" part of the cork was made of. I'm terrified it's going to shear off when i try and open the bottle for my next drink.

Suggestion: Just drink it all, then you have no need to re-cork!

But in all seriousness it does seem pretty flimsy, however I don't have any of the previous to compare it w/.

Ok, realize this is an odd one....has the cork on the OFBB always been this flimsy? I've had an '11 and '12, but never noticed what the "handle" part of the cork was made of. I'm terrified it's going to shear off when i try and open the bottle for my next drink.

Suggestion: Just drink it all, then you have no need to re-cork!

But in all seriousness it does seem pretty flimsy, however I don't have any of the previous to compare it w/.

The Google tells me that it's always been a "cork" material, just swear i could push a spoon through this one if i tried. Or maybe a straw....wait, maybe i'm onto something.

It was on the 2008 I found last December. After a while a few openings, the cork began to shed little pieces. I had to strain it out of the bourbon. I started putting a piece of plastic wrap around the cork.

I didn't think the crumbliness could be due to the bottle being placed sideways. ;-) At the time, I figured it was just due to age of the cork. But, now, with your comment, maybe they use crappy corks or maybe the design just puts too much stress on the thinnest part.

P.S. There were four other 2008s on that shelf. I bought them for friends. I warned them about my experience. They said it was just old cork.

I had cork issues with a 2006 Birthday Bourbon I opened earlier this month. Cork was moist, didn't seem old, just flimsy. Most of the cork crumbs were still in the neck, so I cleaned them out with my finger. Didn't bother to strain the juice (only had a few specks), but went fishing into my cork jar and found a replacement--looks a bit goofy, but does the job.

If I didn't enjoy the 2010, is there a good chance I won't like this 2013 either? I'll have to revisit the 2010 tonight to remind myself why I didn't enjoy it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.