What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

After the Seahawks win I opened my Glenfiddich 21. I have been wanting to try this for a while due mainly to my general enjoyment of 'fiddich and the fact that it's rum cask finished. I was a little underwhelmed by the dram in terms of complexity, it drank like water (partially due to the paltry 40% ABV) and from the age, it was just smoooooth. Sadly it also lacked a lot of depth, it reminded me heavily of a cognac, except that there actually was a decent finish, something most cognacs seem to lack. I did not get a lot of the rum cask influence, none of the toffee notes I normally think of, but I did get lots of banana which was kinda fun.

The choice came down to one of my GlenDronach single casks (wanted to wait on these), the fiddich 21, and the Balvenie 21. I'm thinking the Balvenie would have been the better choice as I know thats stellar, but at least I know I won't be getting another one of these bottles. For Glenfiddich the 15 year and the Rich Oak are still my favorites, though I have yet to open the malt masters, either of the cask of discoveries (bourbon of Madeira) , or the cask of dreams so who knows.

After the Seahawks win I opened my Glenfiddich 21. I have been wanting to try this for a while due mainly to my general enjoyment of 'fiddich and the fact that it's rum cask finished. I was a little underwhelmed by the dram in terms of complexity, it drank like water (partially due to the paltry 40% ABV) and from the age, it was just smoooooth. Sadly it also lacked a lot of depth, it reminded me heavily of a cognac, except that there actually was a decent finish, something most cognacs seem to lack. I did not get a lot of the rum cask influence, none of the toffee notes I normally think of, but I did get lots of banana which was kinda fun.

The choice came down to one of my GlenDronach single casks (wanted to wait on these), the fiddich 21, and the Balvenie 21. I'm thinking the Balvenie would have been the better choice as I know thats stellar, but at least I know I won't be getting another one of these bottles. For Glenfiddich the 15 year and the Rich Oak are still my favorites, though I have yet to open the malt masters, either of the cask of discoveries (bourbon of Madeira) , or the cask of dreams so who knows.

I pretty much concur on all points. While I liked it, it certainly wasn't one that I would pay $100+ for. I too enjoy the 15 a lot for the price ($36 at Hi Time). It might be one of the best drams for the money out there.

I pretty much concur on all points. While I liked it, it certainly wasn't one that I would pay $100+ for. I too enjoy the 15 a lot for the price ($36 at Hi Time). It might be one of the best drams for the money out there.

I did not get a lot of the rum cask influence, none of the toffee notes I normally think of, but I did get lots of banana which was kinda fun.

I think most (if not all) rum is aged in used barrels (mostly ex-bourbon). By the time the rum producers are done with them the barrels will be re-re-fills, therefore, not much of the wood is left for the next use (i.e. flavouring the whisky), all one can expect is for some of the rum left in the barrel to mix with the whisky. Then again, that might be what Glenfiddich is after ...

I did a SBS of Springbank 10 and the 15 y.o. expressions right after dinner. The sherry influence and extra 5 years in the casks of the 15 really sets it apart from the 10 which is not to be dismissed at all. Awesome pours!

Last night. Nikka Yoichi 10 whilst watching the season kickoff of Sherlock.

Thats fun, we had a little Nikka the night we watched the last Sherlock of season 3. Japanese + UK show? Seems to work!

Savoring a pour of K&L GlenDronach 1993. Layers of rich oloroso sherry at cask strength...

Savoring a pour of K&L GlenDronach 1993. Layers of rich oloroso sherry at cask strength...

YEEEAAHH! I forget who described it as "masculine" but it just seems to fit. Very dry and very rich.

I followed up a nutty, knotty polished furniture pour of Glenfarclas 21 with a 1996 Glendronach 17yo PX. This convinces me that I'm just not a PX guy. I like the malt well enough, but PX goes in a direction with sherry that I just don't care for. I like it more than an 18yo Glenturret PX I have, but it still brings a sour fruitiness to the table that just isn't my thing.

Some PJL after my 100th exhaustingly long day in a row. Why can't we have this lovely nectar in Lexington yet?

just got it home and had to open it.

I'd say a lighter smokiness than regular Talisker from memory. a little creamy.

doesn't really need any water, but I may try a drop or two to see what it does.

note-no age statement

6c13b4f3-f6be-47be-8efc-1d6be27b294b_zpsdb131407.jpg

1d2d22ea-eace-434f-bdbc-6308b06e0fd3_zpsced60a7c.jpg

Edited by bigtoys

just got it home and had to open it.

I'd say a lighter smokiness than regular Talisker from memory. a little creamy.

doesn't really need any water, but I may try a drop or two to see what it does.

note-no age statement

6c13b4f3-f6be-47be-8efc-1d6be27b294b_zpsdb131407.jpg

1d2d22ea-eace-434f-bdbc-6308b06e0fd3_zpsced60a7c.jpg

Sipping on some Old Pulteney 12 at the moment. Quite a nice dram if you ask me. This one really takes the ocean flavor to heart.

Cadenhead's Small Batch Highland Park 25. Sherry aged HP at cask strength. Dense and smokey!

In honor of the poet this Burns night, IB Douglas Laing Old & Rare Platinum Mortlach 18 / 1992-2011, 58.1%

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.