What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

That will be a substantial change of pace! Although also very good to me.

What did you think of the Fusion? I have a bottle and like it although I think I prefer the Intermediate Sherry which unfortunately is substantially more expensive although cask strength (or at least higher proof).

I love Amrut Fusion. It reminds me of a much sweeter, younger Nikka Yoichi in its sherry/peat balance. It's also got this weird maple syrup/pancake thing going on that I have trouble describing using fancy words. Truth be told, I probably would have torn through the bottle by now, but a close friend of mine absolutely loves it and I try to keep it around for him to drink when he's here for a visit. I would be open to trying more of Amrut's offerings, but I only have access to the Fusion, Peated, Regular, and Cask Strength. I may try the CS after this, otherwise reviews have led me to believe I should stick with the Fusion.

As for the Nectar D'or, I did open it last night and it was quite good. I don't really care for Sauternes wines, but the casks do something wonderful with Glenmorangie's spirit. The mouthfeel is very oily, which goes well with the honeyed/sugary flavor profile. I don't have a ton of experience with Glenmorangie's standard bottlings, but this one really scratches an itch I didn't know I had.

Overall, I try to keep an eclectic mix of whiskies open at any given time. Right now I've got EC12, OFBB13, THH 12, WLW 13, Amrut Fusion, Clynelish 14, Aberlour A'bunadh b45, Glenmorangie Nectar D'or, Compass Box Flaming Heart '12, and Laphroaig 18 open. Something good for everyone to try.

Edited by garbanzobean

I opened my Valentines gift #1, a Springbank 15, and it's delicious. Gift #2, Balvenie 15 single barrel is waiting in the wings...

I opened my Valentines gift #1, a Springbank 15, and it's delicious. Gift #2, Balvenie 15 single barrel is waiting in the wings...

Nice Valentine's Day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had another pour of Tullamore Dew Phoenix last night. This is a very unique, flavorful Irish Whiskey. There's a lot going on with it, and it's not just trying to be a sweet, vanilla, citrus kind of Irish. The proof gives it very full flavor, and plays nicely with the pot still, sherry, etc. It joins really nicely with the RB CS and PJL as three top-notch, higher proof, reasonably priced (IMHO) Irish whiskeys.

Since March is almost upon us, which of your Triumvirate would you pick if you could only have one?

Since March is almost upon us, which of your Triumvirate would you pick if you could only have one?

Perhaps I´ll do a litttle SBS tomorrow night and report back. My gut says RB CS, then PJL and TD Phoenix, in that order. But they are all terrific and worth having on hand IMO.

Looking forward to your impressions.

For tonight, I'm drinking Chieftain's Mortlach 16 / 1995-2011 - #7282, 54.2%

Looking forward to your impressions.

For tonight, I'm drinking Chieftain's Mortlach 16 / 1995-2011 - #7282, 54.2%

I have a bottle from the same cask bunkered. What are your thoughts so far?

Perhaps I´ll do a litttle SBS tomorrow night and report back. My gut says RB CS, then PJL and TD Phoenix, in that order. But they are all terrific and worth having on hand IMO.

Also interested on your impressions - though I don't own it yet, it is obtainable.

N: Classic sherry nose with eau de vie and faint boiled egg water (this has mostly disappeared on my 3rd pour after the bottle had been open a few weeks)

P: Oily. Sweet/salty/savory elements join with some brandy notes to form the backbone while a little bitterness peeks through.

F: Marshmallows and chrysanthemum tea

It's not as densely sherried as other Mortlach's I've had but it's a nice change of pace as you're able to get more of the natural distillate character - I'll say that I liked it enough to pull in a few more bottles for the bunker. ;)

N: Classic sherry nose with eau de vie and faint boiled egg water (this has mostly disappeared on my 3rd pour after the bottle had been open a few weeks)

P: Oily. Sweet/salty/savory elements join with some brandy notes to form the backbone while a little bitterness peeks through.

F: Marshmallows and chrysanthemum tea

It's not as densely sherried as other Mortlach's I've had but it's a nice change of pace as you're able to get more of the natural distillate character - I'll say that I liked it enough to pull in a few more bottles for the bunker. ;)

Thanks for sharing the notes! I wish I had access to older IBs, but those are long gone from the shores of Maryland.

I have decided that this my favorite whiskey (from anywhere) for $50 or under.

[ATTACH]17801[/ATTACH]

Cosign. I pour it weekly.

Nikka straight from the barrel compliments of Joe Blagg. 51.4% ABV, the nose is soft and fruity with apples and pears. The palate has this lovely sherry influence, I'm assuming this was finished for some period but I really know nothing about this pour. Will have to ask Joe for more details.

Wow, this is really opening up and just outstanding. Red, ripe fruit notes of raspberries and strawberries unfold. There's this sticky, jammy quality with a nice, round mouthfeel. Very malt forward. Uncut and unfiltered, the higher ABV really comes through and shines.

Finish is long and sweet with this nice pastry residue clinging to the palate. Just lovely and eloquent.

I could enjoy a pour of this one on a regular basis. What a very nice malt.

Well CW, I decided to take one for the team and do a SBS tonight of the PJL, RB CS, and TD Phoenix. There are much smarter whiskey people than me out there who have posted tasting notes for these three, so I am not going to go into tasting notes and such. I'm just going to call it as I saw it.

Noses are quite similar. Coming from bourbon, they're all a bit lighter and earthier. I wouldn't be crazily drawn to any of these on nose alone.

As to taste, in a surprising upset, the TD Phoenix was the clear winner for me tonight. I made a couple of passes with each neat, and then after a couple of drops of water. The TD just hit me the right way tonight. Great intensity with the 110 proof, and a real nice balance of flavors with a bit of sweetness. The RB CS was my second favorite, and the PJL third on the night. The TD Phoenix is the cheapest of the three as well.

YMMV of course. Just my taste. As some background, I am a big bourbon guy, and really enjoy Irish, but I am not a big scotch guy.

Thx JR - that's interesting... I think MtnDew & I will split a Tullamore Dew Phoenix

I'll probably have to pick one up myself. And the standard 12 year.

Revisiting my sample of Redbreast 12 CS - it's pretty good but I'm not blown away yet... But I may have to pick up a bottle to do more research ;)

Indeed. Although it will takes some thought how to make this work even in a cocktail. At least a smokey scotch works like a mezcal.

Forgot to mention that the Rosebank, in addition to being delicate and floral, also had a hint of peat (not smoke, just peat) in the background that was quite delightful!

Rosebank w/ some peat sounds like it'd be the cat's meow!

Closing out the night with a small pour from a sample of K&L Glenronach 1993 / 19yr - #490, 54.7% (thx again!)

Closing out the night with a small pour from a sample of K&L Glenronach 1993 / 19yr - #490, 54.7% (thx again!)

I like that one too. They just do sherry right.

I like that one too. They just do sherry right.

Good to know K&L chooses them right, I still have not opened the '95 18 YO K&L GD bottle yet but am looking forward to it.

CW, hit me up if you want to sample more RB 12 CS before buying a bottle. I just can't get into it myself, my bottle, which has been opened a month, only has a few very small pours out of it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.