What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ardbeg Uigeadail L13 - yeah, this expression is still pretty good and the most enjoyable pour of the night for me. It's like coming "home".

Tried my Glendronach Cask Strength batch 3 last night... very interesting. Lighter in color and body compared to even the 12 year, and I get some flavors that I associate with bourbon barrel aging. The label says it was aged in the normal olorosso and PX sherry casks but it tastes to me like the blended sherry and bourbon barrels... strange. Overall I really enjoyed it, and it was incredibly smooth for 54.9%. I love cask strength whisky and I'm more immune to the burn than most but I can still usually tell something is high proof fairly easily. On this one there was almost no heat until the end, very nice. My wife, who is far more sensitive to high ABV, was very surprised when I told her the strength.

I may have to order myself another bottle now...

Reflective of the weather here this week and the skies under which I worked today....for starters tonight: Talisker Storm. It's getting better...a little more of a softer side as more air gets into the bottle. Perhaps my early judgment was a bit too harsh. Up on deck after dinner: Ardbeg 10 and maybe a wee dram of Lagavulin before bed. The smoke of Islay puts me to sleep each harsh winter's night. :22:

Tried my Glendronach Cask Strength batch 3 last night... very interesting. Lighter in color and body compared to even the 12 year, and I get some flavors that I associate with bourbon barrel aging. The label says it was aged in the normal olorosso and PX sherry casks but it tastes to me like the blended sherry and bourbon barrels... strange.

Most people automatically assume that sherry = European (quercus robur) oak but that isn't necessarily the case. A significant amount of sherry (and other wines) is aged in American oak (quercus alba) barrels. The other thing the Scotch industry does that isn't common knowledge: they take ex-bourbon barrels, infuse them with sherry (not sure the exact process but its like spraying the inside with sherry concentrate at high pressure), then fill with new-make and call the mature whisky "ex-sherry".

So, long story short, many scotches* that have been aged in ex-sherry casks actually exhibit characteristics of ex-bourbon barrels.

* Highland Park is a good example, since they claim to use all ex-sherry casks but a significant number (probably the majority) of those casks are actually American Oak.

Edited by portwood

Finishing off a bottle of Oban 14 while I catch up on network TV. The fruity nose and taste, saline, and pectin mouthfeel really have been doing it for me lately.

Wouldn't wish anyone discomfort but I hope that cold stays in TN and doesn't move South, we have a surfeit as is.

Had some Glendronach 21 and Glenmorangie Companta with MaxPower on Thursday night. The Companta was too sweet and one dimensional. Not worth it in my opinion and a big disappointment after the awesomenss of last year's Ealanta. The Glendronach 21 was excellent. Sherry fudge and woodiness in perfect balance. Extremely long finish. I probably took an hour to drink 1 oz and savored every second of it, then smelled the glass for 30 minutes after. It was great stuff. $140 is steep for anything, but if you have the money or can split a bottle with someone, you won't be disappointed.

Had some Glendronach 21 and Glenmorangie Companta with MaxPower on Thursday night. The Companta was too sweet and one dimensional. Not worth it in my opinion and a big disappointment after the awesomenss of last year's Ealanta. The Glendronach 21 was excellent. Sherry fudge and woodiness in perfect balance. Extremely long finish. I probably took an hour to drink 1 oz and savored every second of it, then smelled the glass for 30 minutes after. It was great stuff. $140 is steep for anything, but if you have the money or can split a bottle with someone, you won't be disappointed.

Thx for the notes fellas - well done! GD is such an easy one to like - the cacao tones are really delicious.

I'd echo these as well. The wine finish on the Companta is like the Quinta Ruban with a bit more of a dry finish. Head to head, I preferred the QR and it's less than half the price. Companta will not be a repeat buy. I'm going to have to do a side by side of the Glendronach 15 and 21. The 21 has the huge finish that is reflected in the price, but 15 years tends to be my wheelhouse. However, 21 might have overtaken it as my favorite GD offering. Good thing I can revisit it. :)

Rain has finally hit the Bay Area. I cracked open a Laphroaig 10 cask strength. So far so good. A little hot but very tasty.

Sorry to hear that about the Companta although I may still have to give it a try for myself unless I can find a way to try it without buying.

Don't take it as us saying that it's bad. It's good...it's just not something that I would repeat by for $100+. I'll probably try it again later this week after some air and see if that changes anything. I'm a huge fan of Glenmo, so this was a surprise to me...especially since they generally do so well with their wine finishes.

Brother just dropped off a bottle of hibiki 21 that he picked up at narita...never had it and know very little of Japanese whiskey...but happy to try it out

Brother just dropped off a bottle of hibiki 21 that he picked up at narita...never had it and know very little of Japanese whiskey...but happy to try it out

Supposed to be superb, if pricey, based on the reviews I have read!

I doubt you will be disappointed. Supposed to be an amazing dram, just prohibitively expensive.

Don't take it as us saying that it's bad. It's good...it's just not something that I would repeat by for $100+. I'll probably try it again later this week after some air and see if that changes anything. I'm a huge fan of Glenmo, so this was a surprise to me...especially since they generally do so well with their wine finishes.

Don't worry, not too discouraged yet! A couple other reviews have commented on the dry tannic finish. Not typically my preference but will just have to try it for myself and see.

Had some more Glendronach CS Batch 3. You know, I'm just not that impressed with this whisky, it's actually a bit of a let down after trying the basic 12 year. It has less fruit and more heat, which you would expect, but it seems like I just can't find the balance. Don't get me wrong, it's still a tasty pour, I just currently think the GD 12 year expression is better and fuller. I'll keep playing with the water ratio to see if I can find that perfect balance.

On the other hand I had some more of the Burns Malt 12 year Tomatin from thewhiskybarrel... sooooooooo good. I could nose that dram for hours, and last night I did! I'm down to just a few pours left in the bottle (after putting away a decent sized sample for later) and am thinking about ordering another bottle. Thankfully that same site has the GD 21 year for $100 and the 15 year for $60, and shipping drops to around $12-$15 a bottle if you order a few.

hmmmmm.....

Had some more Glendronach CS Batch 3. You know, I'm just not that impressed with this whisky, it's actually a bit of a let down after trying the basic 12 year. It has less fruit and more heat, which you would expect, but it seems like I just can't find the balance. Don't get me wrong, it's still a tasty pour, I just currently think the GD 12 year expression is better and fuller. I'll keep playing with the water ratio to see if I can find that perfect balance.

How about, instead of water, add some of the 12yo to the CS ...

(I haven't tried this myself, but it might just work. The best part is that the result is still a single malt!)

That, sir, is not a bad idea. The extra fruit from the 12 with the ABV of the CS... I will give that a try tonight and see. I did order a bottle of the GD CS batch 2 to compare as well.

I might do the same just to see what it's like. I don't even have my GDCS yet, but it just sounds like a good idea.

Our impromptu Mortlach session tonight was such a treat - it's really great to be able to pool together bottles to share!

OB Mortlach 16 F&F

IB Signatory Mortlach 21

IB Chieftain's Mortlach 16

IB Chieftain's Mortlach 22 (K&L)

IB Chieftain's Mortlach 22 (700ml, 100pf)

IB Douglas Laing Platinum Mortlach 21

IB Silver Seal Mortlach 21

Edited by ChainWhip

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.