What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sorry to hear that about the Companta although I may still have to give it a try for myself unless I can find a way to try it without buying.

Give it a try. I LOVED the Companta. Yes, it has loads of wine influence but it's got this great, sweet, lasting finish to it. Not overly sweet by any means or cloying. It actually melds very well with the grain. I may pick up another one or two. Very tasty.

Revisiting my Ardbeg 10yr after many months of bourbon/rye focus. :yum: True that distance makes the heart grow fonder!

Revisiting my Ardbeg 10yr after many months of bourbon/rye focus. :yum: True that distance makes the heart grow fonder!

Give it a try. I LOVED the Companta. Yes, it has loads of wine influence but it's got this great, sweet, lasting finish to it. Not overly sweet by any means or cloying. It actually melds very well with the grain. I may pick up another one or two. Very tasty.

I tried it again tonight and it was less dry with the air. I liked it more, but it was only a sip. Something that I need to revisit more and more. :)

Finished off a bottle of a birthday present, Glenlivet Nadurra (Batch #0312S). At first I didn't really care for the dram, but the last 1/3rd of the bottle was outstanding. My thinking is that I probably wouldn't buy it, but if I were gifted again, I'd decant for at least a few weeks prior to drinking. As I mentioned in the WRONG THREAD, I really enjoy cask strength whiskies out of NEAT glasses. This pour absolutely works in that context, bringing out all the pear, apple, and white grape flavors this pour is known for. Great experience in the end.

Finished off a bottle of a birthday present, Glenlivet Nadurra (Batch #0312S). At first I didn't really care for the dram, but the last 1/3rd of the bottle was outstanding. My thinking is that I probably wouldn't buy it, but if I were gifted again, I'd decant for at least a few weeks prior to drinking. As I mentioned in the WRONG THREAD, I really enjoy cask strength whiskies out of NEAT glasses. This pour absolutely works in that context, bringing out all the pear, apple, and white grape flavors this pour is known for. Great experience in the end.

I had the bottle in my hand for $55 yesterday and put it down. Same store had Bakers for $29 (probably my favorite Beam) and Booker's Roundtable 2013-7 for $37. Their prices are ridiculous (Buffalo Trace $17 for example), but I just didn't pull the trigger on the Nadurra. The fact that I despise Glenlivet 12 keeps clouding my brain even though I really liked the 18. Posts like yours make me even more wishy washy.

I had the bottle in my hand for $55 yesterday and put it down. Same store had Bakers for $29 (probably my favorite Beam) and Booker's Roundtable 2013-7 for $37. Their prices are ridiculous (Buffalo Trace $17 for example), but I just didn't pull the trigger on the Nadurra. The fact that I despise Glenlivet 12 keeps clouding my brain even though I really liked the 18. Posts like yours make me even more wishy washy.
For $55 you should absolutely buy if you like lighter/fruiter (green fruit, not red) scotch whiskies. It's $85 where I live, thus uninteresting.

PJL tonight. Seem to be getting more dark chocolate than usual, which is working very nicely

Four Roses 125th Anniv. Small Batch. Lovely stuff, especially on a wet, snowy night like tonight.

Tell it to the bourbon thread :skep: Mostly malt in here :cool:

I agree though, the FR125 is special stuff. In fact, the more scotch I drink, the harder it is to drink any bourbon other than FR.

Currently open: Glenmo 18 and Laphroaig 18 (both from Costco), Balvenie 17 Double Wood, Glenlivet Archive 21 which I picked up for $119 the other day which was a nice find.

Tell it to the bourbon thread :skep: Mostly malt in here :cool:

I agree though, the FR125 is special stuff. In fact, the more scotch I drink, the harder it is to drink any bourbon other than FR.

Had some Johnnie Walker Swing from a 1960's bottling. Not very impressed, a very farmy nose with a standard blended palate and even some heat on the finish.

Didn't expect much but maybe it would've been better after the bottle had some air after being sealed for decades. I'll never know. You see, I had not planned on drinking this bottle, maybe ever. I found it cheap at a small store, turns out it's a bit of a collectors piece. The only bottle I ever considered selling because I couldn't imagine the whisky to be all that great.

I've had it on my bar for some time. Tonight a book fell off a small shelf onto a bottle which fell onto another and another. In all 5 bottles fell. 3 broke. Half a bottle of Hangar1 vodka, a resealable bottle of a premixed cocktail and this 40 year old bottle of Johnnie Walker Swing. A bottle of cheap tequila popped open spilling half its contents but not breaking and a bottle of Noilly Prat dry vermouth fell but was unscathed.

The neck of the Swing broke off, so by the time I got to the garage where the bar was most of it had spilled out, but there was about 1 standard pour remaining. My first order of business was to salvage that into a glencairn. Could have been worse, much worse, but still a bit of bummer. Happy valentines day.

Edited by RVTsteve

Could have been worse, much worse, but still a bit of bummer. Happy valentines day.

Sorry to hear about the tragedy - but as you say, it could've been worse. Happy VD & all that jazz ;)

For me, I took a few side trips to Japan (Karuizawa Cocktail 1981 #162) and Ireland (Redbreast 12 CS) these past couple of nights - it is great fun to travel the world in the comforts of my own home ;-)

Happy VD & all that jazz ;)

I've become accustomed to the acronyms used here, but this one .... I'm not sure :slappin:

Not calling it scotchy in any way but always felt the integration of sweet and dry in 4R makes it more unbourbony. Of course the often found red berry notes make it unique too.

And finished up a sample from Aaron of the Binny's pick of Mortlach 21-1990. Yep I need 750 ML more of this.

Not calling it scotchy in any way but always felt the integration of sweet and dry in 4R makes it more unbourbony. Of course the often found red berry notes make it unique too.

And finished up a sample from Aaron of the Binny's pick of Mortlach 21-1990. Yep I need 750 ML more of this.

Was that the Signatory, G&M, or something else?

Signatory. They've done a few Signatory Mortlachs over the last few years.
Edited by ChainWhip

Talisker 18yo

Springbank 15yo

The Talli is good stuff but the SB is on another level of flavour complexity, delish!

I have decided that this my favorite whiskey (from anywhere) for $50 or under.

[ATTACH]17801[/ATTACH]

It's a good 'un for the price.

I'm enjoying an Amrut Fusion tonight. Next I'm thinking I'll open a bottle of Glenmorangie Nectar D'or I've been wanting to try for awhile.

I'm enjoying an Amrut Fusion tonight. Next I'm thinking I'll open a bottle of Glenmorangie Nectar D'or I've been wanting to try for awhile.

That will be a substantial change of pace! Although also very good to me.

What did you think of the Fusion? I have a bottle and like it although I think I prefer the Intermediate Sherry which unfortunately is substantially more expensive although cask strength (or at least higher proof).

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.