What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

K&L Chieftain's Mortlach 22 tonight - man this stuff is the cat's meow!

It's the lady that you just can't keep your hands off. I've still got a little bit left...

After the news about the coming changes to Mortlach, I developed more than a passing interest in this distillery these past few weeks:

> IB Ian Macleod Chieftain's Mortlach 16 / 1995-2011 - # 7282, 54.2%

> IB Ian Macleod Chieftain's Mortlach 22 - Cask # 5159, 50%

> IB Silver Seal Mortlach 21 / 1991 (bottled 2013) - Cask # 4246, 56.3%

> IB Douglas Laing Old & Rare Platinum Mortlach 18 / 1992-2011, 58.1%

Research has never been so fun! (Also celebrating my Tigers win over the Kentucky Wildcats!!! GEAUX TIGERS!!!)

Edited by ChainWhip

Laphroaig 18. Creamy and sweet, with mild smoke and a great medicinal iodine tang. I will probably put a bottle or two aside if I can find it in the $70 range again.

Finished up leftover A'bunadh from yesterday. I get a pinch of the sulphur as this oxidizes but it doesn't really detract from the overall presentation. I've noticed with ample time the sherry begins to blend with this delicious caramel note that is more reminiscent of a wheated bourbon.

Since it's semi on-topic, I wanted to talk Mortlach. I've read a few tidbits much earlier in this thread regarding the official bottling of the 16 year. It's at least $120 delivered to the US for this one bottle, so definitely an investment. Should I just stick to the independent Mortlach's that are available in Chicago (and often under $100) or give my palate a good perspective with this official release?

Finished up leftover A'bunadh from yesterday. I get a pinch of the sulphur as this oxidizes but it doesn't really detract from the overall presentation. I've noticed with ample time the sherry begins to blend with this delicious caramel note that is more reminiscent of a wheated bourbon.

Since it's semi on-topic, I wanted to talk Mortlach. I've read a few tidbits much earlier in this thread regarding the official bottling of the 16 year. It's at least $120 delivered to the US for this one bottle, so definitely an investment. Should I just stick to the independent Mortlach's that are available in Chicago (and often under $100) or give my palate a good perspective with this official release?

I can't speak highly enough about the Binnys 21 year Mortlach, if its still around.

Doing some sampling tonight while watching basketball and hockey. Off to see the in-laws in the morning.

post-8457-14489820421912_thumb.jpg

There are quite a few excellent IB versions of Mortlach - that OB 16yr F&F is a dusty now so if you're curious, I'd pick up a bottle.

Doing some sampling tonight while watching basketball and hockey. Off to see the in-laws in the morning.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17660[/ATTACH]

Does that drive you to drink that many bottles? Nice lineup BTW ;)

Does that drive you to drink that many bottles? Nice lineup BTW ;)

I don't get to bring any bottles down there, so I'm relaxing tonight. Started with the Glenfarclas...and now trying to decide where to go from here...

Probably the Aberlour 13 CS from K&L.

I don't get to bring any bottles down there, so I'm relaxing tonight. Started with the Glenfarclas...and now trying to decide where to go from here...

Probably the Aberlour 13 CS from K&L.

I stared at that Aberlour 13 for a few min during my last visit to K&L Hollywood but ended up going for the Kilkerran WIP #5 Bourbon. I think I made the right choice between the two but I was very interested in that Aberlour as I have enjoyed the rest of their lineup. I'd be curious to hear what you think of it.

I stared at that Aberlour 13 for a few min during my last visit to K&L Hollywood but ended up going for the Kilkerran WIP #5 Bourbon. I think I made the right choice between the two but I was very interested in that Aberlour as I have enjoyed the rest of their lineup. I'd be curious to hear what you think of it.

Going with one bottle straight down the line tonight...a newly opened Ardbeg 10. Now, the question begs, how many pours of said nectar will be missing by daybreak? :grin:

I don't drink much Irish Whiskey but when I do it has been Redbreast CS. Toasted marshmallows on the nose and that pot-still element on the tongue ensures its future in my cabinet. .

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

I don't drink much Irish Whiskey but when I do it has been Redbreast CS. Toasted marshmallows on the nose and that pot-still element on the tongue ensures its future in my cabinet. .

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

Say... Aren't you the most interesting Texan in the world? ;)

I'll have to give Redbreast another shot in all seriousness though. My last bottle of RB12 didn't do much for me.

Sipping from a sample of IB Archives Strathmill 1974 - 44.5%

It's got a ton of fruit that smacks you in the nose and front of the palate and then follows it up with some salty funkiness - what a strange cat... I love it!

Sipping from a sample of IB Archives Strathmill 1974 - 44.5%

It's got a ton of fruit that smacks you in the nose and front of the palate and then follows it up with some salty funkiness - what a strange cat... I love it!

What are you celebrating with tonight?

What are you celebrating with tonight?

Probably not much else - I've already been imbibing... Last pour was ECBP1:EC12 though

It's not like any other Aberlour. It's got big barley flavor to go with sweetness that tastes like a honeyed Walker's shortbread cookie. It's got a great, long finish too. It's very unique and very tasty.

Since today was a cold, miserable February day sandwiched between 2 even more miserable days of 35 degree heavy rain...why not bring the Storm inside tonight Talisker style? This is my 3d visit with my 1st bottle of TS...hoping this one is more memorable than the previous two.

Since today was a cold, miserable February day sandwiched between 2 even more miserable days of 35 degree heavy rain...why not bring the Storm inside tonight Talisker style? This is my 3d visit with my 1st bottle of TS...hoping this one is more memorable than the previous two.

We reached -28 degrees this year. I'd kill for even approaching 35 degrees in the near future. I think we hit it once in the last 6 weeks.

Having a wee dram of Bruichladdich Rocks... I have gone back and forth with this bottle but I've firmly come down on the "love it" side of things. Some nights it hits alright, but others, like tonight, it's just perfect. I am going to have to grab another bottle or two before they disappear.

Down to cover #4 (Christie Brinkley, 1980) on 50yrs of Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition (NBC) - sipping on old red label Macallan Cask Strength (57.4%) and boy does it smell like leftover water used for rehydrating dried shiitake mushrooms...

Tastes pretty good though - a little funkier and denser flavor wise vs the newer bottling.

Thx to the generous SB'r for the samples.

Edited by ChainWhip

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.