What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Last night was a Glenlivet 15 French Oak that I finally picked up. Well balanced indeed.

Tonight I was offered something where I work, so I chose a Scott's Selection Longmorn-Glenlivet 1971, bottled 2004, 53.5%. Oldest whiskey I've tried, and it was nice but didn't blow me away. Had a distinctive minty note to it.

Back home, finishing with a wee pour of Glenfiddich 12 from a mini.

BTW, which batch RB CS are you guys trying? The one I just picked up is Batch No. B1/13 59.9%. I think there were two batches before this one correct?

Got the PJL and TD Phoenix too, but haven't opened them yet.

BTW, which batch RB CS are you guys trying? The one I just picked up is Batch No. B1/13 59.9%. I think there were two batches before this one correct?

Got the PJL and TD Phoenix too, but haven't opened them yet.

A fair pour of some springer.

[ATTACH]17824[/ATTACH]

If I could only have one distillery to drink from, the one from Campbelltown is hard to beat...

If I could only have one distillery to drink from, the one from Campbelltown is hard to beat...

For me...it's Balvenie. But I have enjoyed my Springbanks as well.

For me...it's Balvenie. But I have enjoyed my Springbanks as well.

Fuuwaahck... I misspelled Campbeltown :(

It's more of a diversity play for me ;)

I have to admit I can't really pin down this malt yet. There's a lot going on in the palate - tobacco, green tea, lighter peat-like phenolics, sherry qualities, a touch of sulphur, vanilla oil, and general underlying bitterness into the finish. This is all pretty well-blended and I need to work some more through this bottle to get my bearings. I see that Springbank 18 blends both sherry and bourbon. I've got a sample of that coming as well as Longrow 18 - will probably do all 3 side by side and hopefully that will help.

I really need to get my hands on a bottle of Springbank CS, I've been milking the sample I received of a 14 year and it's just soooooo nice.

Tom Helt was kind enough to open a Compass Box The General and let me have a pour. Here are my thoughts.

Color: DARK!

Nose: Big sweet, berry notes. Raspberries, plums, blackberries, and strawberry jam. No discernible ethanol on the nose, just a sweet, fruit mix. Lovely.

Palate: Just a massively RICH, sweet, fruity entry that transitions into strawberry jam, figs, and plums. There's a soft peppery presence on the tip of the tongue that tingles the palate. Layers continue to unfold as a soft, spicy mix makes an appearance. Mild black pepper and just a touch of cinnamon come into play. This is so drinkable and rich, it's like whisky concentrate. It coats the palate like oil and just clings on for dear life. It's sweet forward and very soft. A hint of caramel but it's buried. Excellent.

Finish: Looooooooong and sweet. Those berry, fruit notes hang on forever, it's incredible. Strawberry tart on exit.

Rating: What an outstanding malt. It's sweet, rich, viscous, and fat. Flavors just erupt on the palate and hang on for a long time. Such an easy sipper and I dig the strawberry notes. Slam dunk. Score is a 95.

vy3use8y.jpg

Side by side of samples of K&L Chieftans Mortlach 22 and Balvenie Tun 1401 Batch 6. Two outstanding pours, very different from each other. Mortlach is deep and big, very sherry forward, savory and great neat with a long finish. Gorgeous. The Balvenie is very tight and complex, with gentle peat and flawless balance, but a little less bang than I was hoping for. Thanks to the kind SBer who helped with these pours.

Tom Helt was kind enough to open a Compass Box The General and let me have a pour. Here are my thoughts.

Color: DARK!

Nose: Big sweet, berry notes. Raspberries, plums, blackberries, and strawberry jam. No discernible ethanol on the nose, just a sweet, fruit mix. Lovely.

Palate: Just a massively RICH, sweet, fruity entry that transitions into strawberry jam, figs, and plums. There's a soft peppery presence on the tip of the tongue that tingles the palate. Layers continue to unfold as a soft, spicy mix makes an appearance. Mild black pepper and just a touch of cinnamon come into play. This is so drinkable and rich, it's like whisky concentrate. It coats the palate like oil and just clings on for dear life. It's sweet forward and very soft. A hint of caramel but it's buried. Excellent.

Finish: Looooooooong and sweet. Those berry, fruit notes hang on forever, it's incredible. Strawberry tart on exit.

Rating: What an outstanding malt. It's sweet, rich, viscous, and fat. Flavors just erupt on the palate and hang on for a long time. Such an easy sipper and I dig the strawberry notes. Slam dunk. Score is a 95.

vy3use8y.jpg

I've been dying to try this and your review doesn't help!

John Glaser does some magical stuff with blending. I've probably gone through 12 or so bottles of Compass Box whisky (have a Great King Street NYC Blend open right now) and they never disappoint. It's hard to find better whisky at the equivalent price point.

They are indeed interesting, usually very enjoyable and usually well priced. Unfortunately this one isn't at quite the same price point!

Although for its presumed age I suppose it too is a bargain these days.

They are indeed interesting, usually very enjoyable and usually well priced. Unfortunately this one isn't at quite the same price point!

Although for its presumed age I suppose it too is a bargain these days.

I'm dying to get ahold of one too. I've got the feelers out trying to get one in Atlanta when it releases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been dying to try this and your review doesn't help!

John Glaser does some magical stuff with blending. I've probably gone through 12 or so bottles of Compass Box whisky (have a Great King Street NYC Blend open right now) and they never disappoint. It's hard to find better whisky at the equivalent price point.

Agreed on all points. I almost always have at least one Compass Box pour open. I've currently got Great King Street Artist's Blend and Flaming Heart '12 open, and have an older bottling of Hedonism, Flaming Heart '10, and Peat Monster 10th Anniversary burning holes in my bunker. I'm hoping to give The General a try someday, but I don't think I could afford an entire bottle of it.

My buddy brought one of these back from the homeland:

12713022174_265e0a1a0e_z.jpg

Kavalan Solist Sherry - 59.4%

Edited by ChainWhip

Did some whiskey tasting with SOB last night. First taste of Glendronach Allardice 18 year. Even if the 12 year is supposed to be older than the age statement, the 18 year is clearly older than the 12. Really great sherry goodness. Milked those drams for a long time watching college basketball. Sorry about the Tigers last second defeat Johnny. :( But at least they didn't take a 10 point lead into halftime and get outscored by 30 in the second half like my Gophers.

My buddy brought one of these back from the homeland:

Kavalan Solist Sherry - 59.4%

That's the stuff right there. That was my favorite pour at WhiskeyFest last year. I thought it was going to be coming to Binny's last fall but I have neither seen nor heard hide nor hair of it stateside. I'm waiting!

Just re-painted my dining room. Enjoying my completed work with a rather generous pour of Flaming Heart 2012 prior to putting in some work on an AR15 I'm in the process of building.

Did some whiskey tasting with SOB last night. First taste of Glendronach Allardice 18 year. Even if the 12 year is supposed to be older than the age statement, the 18 year is clearly older than the 12. Really great sherry goodness. Milked those drams for a long time watching college basketball. Sorry about the Tigers last second defeat Johnny. :( But at least they didn't take a 10 point lead into halftime and get outscored by 30 in the second half like my Gophers.
Edited by ChainWhip

Tried some Westland American Malt new make... strange stuff. It was very smooth (was bottled at 40%) and had some flavors I associate with Tequila for whatever reason. There was some fruit as well as that solid grainyness that I have come to expect from new make. I was very impressed for something that has not touched a barrel yet.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.