What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Fall 2013/Winter 2014

Virus_Of_Life
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Enjoying a nice basic Caol Ila 12. This is hotter and peatier than I remember, with some nice chocolate/malt flavor toward the end of the palate. Good oily mouthfeel. Finish turns jammy.

Sipping on the K&L 21 year Bunnahabhain.

I'm muling one of those to another SBer that can't order from K&L. What do you think of it?

I'm sure said SBer would be happy to send a sample!

Enjoying a nip of Yamazaki 18. A perfect amount of sherry cast influence in the dram. Very balanced. This one is in the "wish I bought more when it was $95/bottle a year ago" camp...

Enjoying a nip of Yamazaki 18. A perfect amount of sherry cast influence in the dram. Very balanced. This one is in the "wish I bought more when it was $95/bottle a year ago" camp...

You and me both! I would even pay the $110 that I payed for my current bottle. An excellent whisky. Now it is what? $150? $175?

Sheesh!

I'm kind of in love with the 12 year, so I need to get a hold of the 18 year too. Every Japanese whisky I've had has been good thus far. I still recall 2-3 years ago when the 18 year could be had for $80 at Hi Time. Now I wish I'd stocked up and I've never even had it.

Pouring some samples so I'm having some micropours dim-sum style of a couple of Karuizawas, a Hanyu, Kavalan Solist Sherry, Tullamore Dew Phoenix, and a bottle killing pour of Balvenie TUN3.

12964468365_b780c45324_z.jpg

I'm going through these TUN's way too fast and they're not easy to replace...

I'm muling one of those to another SBer that can't order from K&L. What do you think of it?

Cutty Sark Prohibition. First I'd seen it around here and I was looking for a blend, plus it's had good reviews from the usual suspects.

Not bad, and definitely gains a lot from the higher proof, but it strikes me as a little young. It may grow on me. I'll try it again tonight.

Today I compared Glendronach Cask Strength Batch 3 with A'bunadh Batch 46. The 'dronach was drier, less rich, much more herbal and ginger with a general sourness to balance some of the toffee and sherry sweetness. A'bunadh is hugely caramel, oloroso (obviously), tons of dark fruit, much richer, and definitely "smoother".

Based on this showdown I'll be happy just sticking with Aberlour and not deal with the hassle of importing the Glendronach (though I suspect we'll see more and more from that distillery stateside in the coming years).

Pouring some samples so I'm having some micropours dim-sum style of a couple of Karuizawas, a Hanyu, Kavalan Solist Sherry, Tullamore Dew Phoenix, and a bottle killing pour of Balvenie TUN3.

12964468365_b780c45324_z.jpg

I'm going through these TUN's way too fast and they're not easy to replace...

I finally ran across one of these. I didn't see the batch # because it was behind the counter and I frankly didn't know to look for a batch #. It was $400. I had to leave it, but I'm glad I got to eye-ball one. It made for an interesting conversation with the shop owners. Still on Ardbeg 10 with one last pour in the open bottle and another in the bunker. I did pick up an Ardbeg Uigeadail. I hope I enjoy it as much as the 10.

The Ardbeg 10 & Uigeadail are hard to beat for standard pours. I got a sample of the L13 Uigeadail and that was a delicious pour.

I'm trying a vatting tonight of L8 Clynelish 14:Kavalan Solist Sherry (1:1) and it's showing a lot of promise. I may have to put a 200ml blend of this together.

Edited by ChainWhip

Cutty Sark Prohibition. First I'd seen it around here and I was looking for a blend, plus it's had good reviews from the usual suspects.

Not bad, and definitely gains a lot from the higher proof, but it strikes me as a little young. It may grow on me. I'll try it again tonight.

Seems to have settled down after being open for a day. I suppose I'll have to go buy more.

post-8419-14489820591727_thumb.jpg

Cracked open a Chieftain's Bunnahabhain 2001/2012 10 year aged in sherry at 46% cask 466. The color is incredibly dark for a 10 year. The nose is dusty and sweet, with just the slightest bit of peat noticeable. Maple syrup? Lots of sherry influence on the palate, to be expected, with some mossy peat. A lovely wisp of peat smoke comes through on the finish, which is long and satisfying. The finish has a slightly ashy kiss off at the end (after about 20-30 seconds), which is the only negative thing I have to say about this, but that just means it's time to take another sip.

post-8419-14489820591513_thumb.jpg

Oh man that looks dark Trey! It would seem you have some new Chiefs in the house.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17923[/ATTACH]

Cracked open a Chieftain's Bunnahabhain 2001/2012 10 year aged in sherry at 46% cask 466. The color is incredibly dark for a 10 year. The nose is dusty and sweet, with just the slightest bit of peat noticeable. Maple syrup? Lots of sherry influence on the palate, to be expected, with some mossy peat. A lovely wisp of peat smoke comes through on the finish, which is long and satisfying. The finish has a slightly ashy kiss off at the end (after about 20-30 seconds), which is the only negative thing I have to say about this, but that just means it's time to take another sip.

That is probably the darkest 10yr I have seen. Does anyone know if that is E150 (coloring) or its natural color? Regardless it sounds like a terrific dram. I'll have to keep a lookout.

That is probably the darkest 10yr I have seen. Does anyone know if that is E150 (coloring) or its natural color? Regardless it sounds like a terrific dram. I'll have to keep a lookout.

If you zoom in on the bottom of the label, it says "non chill filtered natural color."

Had a couple pours of Laphroaig 18 tonight. Maybe I just got a great bottle, but this is absolutely the smoothest whisky I have ever sampled. Mellow (for laphroaig), flavorful, and really no alcohol burn to speak of. Lots of iodine, a tinge of peat, and an underlying vanilla/marshmallow/creme de menthe sweetness. Just an amazing dram.

I am having a small pour from a sample of Springbank 12 Calvados to close out the evening.

I had some of the new stuff from K&L last night.

Miltonduff 30 year - Really enjoyed it. Still bright and fruity even with the aging, but it still had the long finish that you'd expect from something 30 years old. Really good value.

Clynelish 16 year (AD Rattray from K&L) - If you're familiar with Clynelish, it tastes exactly like you'd expect a Clynelish to taste in a 2nd fill sherry butt. Some fruit up front, but the trademark Clynelish waxy finish. I enjoyed it quite a bit.

I also tried the Faultline Bourbon, which tasted like what they said it would. Basically a vatting of Smooth Ambler 10 year low rye (which is wonderful) and the 7 year higher (35%) rye. I've become a fan of SA, so this was a nice buy for $40. If you're looking for something with nice sweetness, a good wood/spice mix on the back end that is very drinkable at 100 proof, this is a nice buy.

I hope the rest of the buys are as tasty as those ones.

A little Balvenie Doublewood 12 to finish the night last night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am having a small pour from a sample of Springbank 12 Calvados to close out the evening.

Thoughts? My wife thought she could pick out the sharpness of a hard apple cider in the nose.

I'm sitting down with a Glenmorangie Finealta while I play some games.

Thoughts? My wife thought she could pick out the sharpness of a hard apple cider in the nose.

I'm sitting down with a Glenmorangie Finealta while I play some games.

I get the apple bit too but the finish is nice as the smoke and faint peat comes out to play... wish it had a tad more saltiness to contrast with the sweetness - but it's a fresh pour and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Having a small pour of the Glendronach 1993 sample - it's got some sulphur/shroom in it but I am enjoying it in it's UMAMI goodness. I have a Karuizawa you need to try if you like this GD...

Edited by ChainWhip

I get the apple bit too but the finish is nice as the smoke and faint peat comes out to play... wish it had a tad more saltiness to contrast with the sweetness - but it's a fresh pour and I'm enjoying it quite a bit.

Having a small pour of the Glendronach 1993 sample - it's got some sulphur/shroom in it but I am enjoying it in it's UMAMI goodness. I have a Karuizawa you need to try if you like this GD...

Had a bit of a 19 year BenRiach peated/px last night. Its real nice but the balance is a little off and the smoke is a tad strong. I'm guessing the extra 8 years in the 27 year BenRiach peated/px released last year helped in tempering the smoke and bringing it into balance.

Nevertheless, this bottle will not have a drainage problem.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.