What bourbon are you drinking - Fall 2013

Wryguy
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well, on the last night of Fall 2013, I had pours of KCSB (Fred Noe selection), OC10, and Bowman SB. All very nice.

Came across some Smooth Ambler Old Scout and decided to give it a try for the first time. Quite spicy--cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg--and a lumber truckload of wood. But I like wood. As an inept woodworker, I make huge piles of sawdust. Had Mrs. F smell my hand because I wasn't sure if the woodiness was in the glass or on my hands. Or maybe, Mrs. F. said, it was somewhere else. As I said, I like wood.

I may like wood a bit less than you Fly, but I'm with you on the Old Scout notes. Not one I will likely buy again. Not really worth $45-$50 to me, and I'd take many $20-$40 bottles over it without hesitation--FRSB, ETL, WTRB, EC12, etc. Let alone ECBP and Stagg Jr. around that price.

I may like wood a bit less than you Fly, but I'm with you on the Old Scout notes. Not one I will likely buy again. Not really worth $45-$50 to me, and I'd take many $20-$40 bottles over it without hesitation--FRSB, ETL, WTRB, EC12, etc. Let alone ECBP and Stagg Jr. around that price.

I paid $29.10 and feel it was worth it.

I paid $29.10 and feel it was worth it.

I may have been mistaken. I was talking about the 10 Year. The 7 Year OS is closer to $30, and I do not have a bottle of that. The 10 year has a very unique flavor, and that is the one I would not be quick to repurchase around $45.

Edited by jeffrey r

Been enjoying my first bottle of EW White Label over the last week.

It's pretty good, though not really the revelation I was hoping for. While sipping on it, I was reminded of something Squire said awhile ago... they seem to use the larger barrel selection to round off the edges on EWB, whereas the White label's young age is more noticeable.

I'm hoping 1783 will offer a middle ground, or vatting all 3 together may yield some good results. Waiting to finish my first bottles of each before I start fooling around with vatting tests though.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Settling down for the night w some 14 yr 4R OBSK GS. She's a spicy gal.
I've only heard this is a nice piece.:rolleyes:But I bet Josh will gladly comply to your assessment.:grin:

Started with an ECBP/EC12 blend. Took it 115 proof. Followed up with FR SmB which, while tasty, is a lot lighter.

OF Birthday '13. The nose is as advertised, but I think the taste and nice lingering finish don't disappoint either.

Enjoying a nice weekend getaway with my wife on our 29th anniversary. After a great dinner, we stopped by a quiet bar for after dinner drinks. Maker's Mark was my best option. The downside to my bourbon obsession is my inevitable realization that I have far better bourbons at home. It is a very rare bar that proves otherwise.

Sipping WT Forgiven. The less water added, the more it keeps it's complexity. Took me a few glasses to figure that out.

The downside to my bourbon obsession is my inevitable realization that I have far better bourbons at home. It is a very rare bar that proves otherwise.

i agree. Most places, I just get a coke or tea, because the selection offers nothing that I would enjoy more than coke/tea. I couldnt believe the hideous selections in every TN place we went last week. Everyone had Jack and Jim. You know, I never once even saw any Dickel while dining in TN, and that's where i'd expect it most. I make it a point not to order anything in a restaurant that I have at home, but Id have gladly ordered a D12 had it been available.

back on topic, I am once again having KCSB and Dickel 9/103. Truly enjoy the KCSB, but LOVE the Dickel 9.

Edited by 393foureyedfox

My son, Gary finally arrived 'home' for the Holidays, and we celebrated by cracking open my last Thos. H. Handy Sazerac St. Rye BP (from 2010, I think). After it had a bit of air it really shone; a fine pour worthy of the occasion. Great whiskey, Family and the 'reason for the season'. Can't beat it!

To add on to my old man's post, we moved from the THH to some JPS18, and then VSOF (with a couple sips of random things in between). I know, we should have done those in reverse order probably - but didn't (and didn't mind one bit!) Discovered that JPS18 pairs wonderfully with venison too! :yum:

Had a couple folks over for a tasting yesterday. One brought a Cody Road rye and we started out with that - never had it before, wasn't expecting much, but it wasn't bad. Then a Bourye to transition from the rye to bourbon, on to a CEHT small batch. Makers 46 to transition to wheaters, every time I have this stuff I like it more, definitely a step up from the regular MM. Started going older from there - Lot B, then finished up with PVW15. A success.

Started last night with Brimstone, Bowman Millennium, AE rye, Vintage Rye (only real disappointment), HHSS, and then for one special guest a pour of PW15.

Last night was basically all JW Dant which the more I drink has a strange metallic feel. The first pours seemed more caramel and minty but now the mint is overpowering.

My first bottle since it is BOM but most likely my last.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!