What rye are you drinking Fall 2013/Winter 2014

michaelturtle1
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had a large pour of Mastersons 10 to go with my steak. A fine meal, good whiskey....now where's my bad girl?

A pour of Vintage 23 Rye last night.....WOW. This one blew my socks off. Much better than the Rittenhouse 23 that I had immediately after.

post-10570-14489820348622_thumb.jpg

Side by sides are always the best way to compare. Personally, I found the V23 to be completely dead, but a lot of folks seems to like it. Tomorrow will be a special pour night...going to crack into an Iron Fist.

Side by sides are always the best way to compare. Personally, I found the V23 to be completely dead, but a lot of folks seems to like it. Tomorrow will be a special pour night...going to crack into an Iron Fist.

The V23 just had a depth of character that wasn't quite as apparent in the Ritt 23. Was much darker and quite rich, I thought. Again, the Ritt 23 was absolutely no slouch (and exceedingly more enjoyable than the 25), but there was just something about the V23 that sang to me.

Though, having had the V21 just a few weeks ago, I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite out of the two.

Cheers on that Iron Fist. That would be a dream-pour for me.

To be fair, I pitted the V23 against a Willett 24 year 94 proof rye from 4/10/84...so not exactly a fair fight. I'm sure none of those are slouches...just a different level I suppose. Really looking forward to the Iron Fist...I'll try and remember to take a pic and post my thoughts here.

Having finished my last VWFRR over the holidays, I'm down to RittBIB354, Jeff10, WTR101 '11, and THH '12. In the past I thought the Handy was the least of the BTACs, but this 2012 bottle is great, and among a couple of my whiskey buds it trounced the 2011 in a SBS.

...Cheers on that Iron Fist. That would be a dream-pour for me.
I've had two healthy visits with Iron Fist. First visit, I thought it was the best whiskey I've ever had. Second visit was even more enjoyable.

It's a rye kind of night. THH12 neat and maybe Willett 4 year next.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

AE rye. This is the first pour I've had, and its really good, but I'm not sure if I could drink it for anything else except dessert.

Dickel rye is hitting on all cylinders tonight. Very balanced easy drinker. Going to follow with WTRR rye for comparison.

Dickel rye is hitting on all cylinders tonight. Very balanced easy drinker. Going to follow with WTRR rye for comparison.

Cold night, more snow. Decided it is a rye night. I am opting for HW DR and WFE 4 Yr.

AE rye. This is the first pour I've had, and its really good, but I'm not sure if I could drink it for anything else except dessert.

I hear ya on that. It is very sweet, but I like it. I also can drink it during Christmas season. I have always thought if it as Christmas in a bottle. I tried to get a bottle for this past Christmas but failed. I will try again soon though.

Cold night, more snow. Decided it is a rye night. I am opting for HW DR and WFE 4 Yr.

I've got the fire cranked up and all is well with the world. Would def be interested to hear your thoughts on how those two stack up against one another!

WTRR won best nose and mouth feel on my end. However, Dickel took best of show, as its just a perfect balance of flavor with nice medium finish that just begs you to take another drink. The WTRR has a longer finish, but just leans a touch toward too much wood and hay IMO.

Trying to polish off a bottle of High West 16 year rye, batch 6. This one isn't too different from Baby Saz poured side by side.

I've got the fire cranked up and all is well with the world. Would def be interested to hear your thoughts on how those two stack up against one another!

WTRR won best nose and mouth feel on my end. However, Dickel took best of show, as its just a perfect balance of flavor with nice medium finish that just begs you to take another drink. The WTRR has a longer finish, but just leans a touch toward too much wood and hay IMO.

I think I preferred the WFE by a nose. HW DR is a little more expensive in Indy (a few $) but easier to find. I have a store close to me with a small stash of WFE. I think the HW DR is easier to drink but it is a little weaker on the bold rye flavor that I like. Both have a nice grassy flavor, sweet but not overpowering. I ended up following up those two with a pour of Jeff 10 Canadian NCF which I really like but it was the weakest pour of the night. Who knows, next time, I may rank them differently.

It went so well last night that I'm back on the Dickel/WTRR train tonight.

I swear every time I pour a rye, I think of you. Of all of the rye posts, you seem to like the same ones that I do.

I swear every time I pour a rye, I think of you. Of all of the rye posts, you seem to like the same ones that I do.

Trying to polish off a bottle of High West 16 year rye, batch 6. This one isn't too different from Baby Saz poured side by side.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!