What Beer Are You Drinking? Fall '13

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sweetwater Brewing 2013 Festive Ale after a busy, busy, BUSY day. Seems a little thinner than previous years, but still a nice, robust flavor profile. I always look forward to having this release each year.

Stone Smoked Porter w Vanilla Beans. Nice porter w just the right amount of smoke, but wishing there was more vanilla in here.

Popped open a Boon Oude Gueze Mariage Parfait from 2007 to compare to a Cantillon Gueze from early 2012 purchased at the brewery last summer.

The Boon was quite good with some nice barnyard funk and tartness but was a little too fizzy for me. Still, it is a nice gueze that is generally readily available.

But it was no match for the Cantillon which had a richer cidery, wine like quality with less carbonation and a rich sweet/tart taste. A very pleasant bottle although probably more of a summer drink if you are a sour fan. Wish I had more available although I do still have a Cantillon Rose de Gambrinus tucked away for a sunny summer evening.

Edited by tanstaafl2

Been on a pale ale kick this week (not IPA's) and currently enjoying the limited release Ten Hills Pale Ale from Goose Island which reportedly uses hops grown on a single farm in Idaho. It's got a nice maltiness to it and a subtle fruitiness from the hops that places it in the realm of a traditional English-style pale ale. Next up this evening will be Burning River Pale Ale from Cleveland's wonderful Great Lakes Brewing Company. Some day I'd really like to drink their stuff on tap while passing through Cleveland on my annual family visit to New York.

Uinta Cockeyed Cooper BBA Barleywine and it is pretty great. Fantastic nose w great bourbon character. Seen some say this was more of an English style, but it's got a fairly aggressive hop character going on. Stoked that this will be coming to KY soon.

GI Fleur and it was nothing like what I'd previously expect,but in a good way nice balance of sweet and sour without any floral unbalance like I previously thought I guess 2 years mellowed it quite a bit.

Anyone tried FFF Jinx Proof? Picked some up the other day on a whim having never had it before. Poured one tonight and not sure exactly what to think of it. Part of me says it's the worst FFF product I've had, but it's hard to say a FFF product is exactly bad. I just think in the context of other FFF products, this one just isn't doing it for me.

Had a 70K at against the grain. Also tried the bourbon barrel Kentucky common which was tasty without much barrel influence but my palate might have been wrecked at that point.

Last night it was Cuvee de Mortagne, a belgian quad weighing in at 14% that had spent 6 months in French Pomerol wine casks (bottle says pomperol but I think it is pomerol?). Interesting beer with a definite raisin-y wine taste that kept it from tasting overly boozy.

Followed up with Ovila Belgian style saison with mandarine oranges and peppercorn. One of the few beers from Sierra Nevada I have had that wasn't largely dominated by hops! Drier with a bit of pepper in the finish but not much influence from the oranges that I could discern.

I preferred the Mortagne of the two.

post-8493-14489820070266_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489820070029_thumb.jpg

Mother's Winter Grind Coffee Stout, Core Brewing Bohemian Pilsner, Piney River Sweet Potato Ale, and Boulevard Nutcracker Ale.

I just finished a Dreadnaught. About 3/4 through the bottle I had to go look up the ABV. That explains why I was starting to get a buzz :-)

I just finished a Dreadnaught. About 3/4 through the bottle I had to go look up the ABV. That explains why I was starting to get a buzz :-)

Dreadnaught is wonderful!

Putting down some Founders Porter right now. Good beer for these low winter temps.

Oh it warmed me up alright. :-). I dove into some Stagg Jr after that. Figured may as well go all out ;-)

Had Trois Dames Winter Sour

Very effervescent with a nice sourness without too much. Reminiscent of kombucha but lighter. Very drinkable.

Prairie ales The Beer that Saved Christmas

Delicious with slices and a tartness I really liked

Jolly Pumpkin Noel de Calabaza

Tasty with chocolate and coffee, maltiness with tart fruits mixed in.

All on tap at a The Trappistion Oakland, CA at their annual kerstbier fest.

"Free" Sam Adams Winter Lager at the local jewelry store open house…wait a minute…that was a pretty expensive "free" beer…but she is worth it. And, the Winter Lager was tasty.

Jon

I saw a 4 pk of Guinness Red Harvest Stout at the store, so decided to pick it up, even though we're past the Fall brew season. Thinking now, I should have left this harvest in the field to rot. Totally watery, devoid of flavor, and boring as all heck...Pretty can, though...:crazy:

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!