What Beer Are You Drinking? Fall '13

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Grain Belt Premium

It is my favorite American-Style Lager by far. It is brewed by August Schell Brewing in New Ulm, Minnesota. It is kind of a cultural icon up here. It is unique because it has a slight sweetness but there is a hint of hop aroma which you don't usually see in an American Lager. It is the beer of choice for many microbrew fans when they are not drinking micros.

I tried to get a buddy to bring some back from a MN trip this summer, but he accidentally grabbed the Nordeast instead. It was definitely a cut above, though!

I picked up some Old Chub Scotch Ale from Oskar Blues Brewing Co. in Longmont, CO. They only recently started to carry it locally. It's in cans, and I found it in a grocery store for $7.99 a six. If you like heavy ales, this stuff is great! On another topic, what's with all the IPAs everywhere? There's nothing wrong with a decent IPA, but come on folks. There are other styles of beer also worth exploring. It seems like nowadays shelves are full of beer in 3 categories: light (weak) lagers, beers with oddball ingredients, and mediocre IPAs. I must make a heroic effort to find a good stout or hefe.

I picked up some Old Chub Scotch Ale from Oskar Blues Brewing Co. in Longmont, CO. They only recently started to carry it locally. It's in cans, and I found it in a grocery store for $7.99 a six. If you like heavy ales, this stuff is great! On another topic, what's with all the IPAs everywhere? There's nothing wrong with a decent IPA, but come on folks. There are other styles of beer also worth exploring. It seems like nowadays shelves are full of beer in 3 categories: light (weak) lagers, beers with oddball ingredients, and mediocre IPAs. I must make a heroic effort to find a good stout or hefe.

You make some good points. I have been in the micro scene for about 20 years. I remember the nice subtle porters, and crisp pale ales very fondly from the old days. I too like an IPA on occasion. God forbid if you like the English-style IPA's. The market tends to favor the "extreme" beers. In honor of toning it down a bit I am going to pick up a sixer of Sierra Nevada Porter. It is probably just me showing my age and feeling nostalgic.

New Glarus "Moon Man" nice light style with a touch of citrus and zest totally drinkable,now onto some more Gumallhead,love this stuff!

Hadn't had any Maine Beer Co. product since my Summer 2012 East Coast road trip. Very much enjoyed the MO APA and Mean Old Tom Vanilla Stout that I had last night -- the MO just a touch more. Very happy to have MBC distributing here now.

Pilgrim's Dole from New Holland is on the menu for today! A barrel aged wheat wine. Sounds interesting!

After a hectic day of travels and multiple dinners today winding down with some KBS and some well deserved peace and quiet,it's good to be home!

Not sure if its available much over there but this has to be one of my favourite beers i've ever tasted, I think its a seasonal special only though.

bourbon-small__blog_post_large.png

Had my first GI Bourbon County Barleywine last night. Rich and thick -- can't wait to see what some age does to it.

Going to crack one of those open here in a sec.

Grabbed some of that today, a Boulevard Bourbon Barrel Quad, and a Utopias for a fellow SBer.

I committed to being at my local store at 7:00AM sharp to purchase some Bourbon County Brand Stout amidst what I thought would be a feeding frenzy. I just couldn't pull myself out of bed when the time came. I finally arrived at my store at 9:00AM - just in time to see the distributor carting in 6 cases of BCBS. :bowdown: He told me it would take a little bit to get checked in. When he was done, he waved me over and told me I could have two four-packs. The only variant he had was the barleywine but they were going to wait until later in the afternoon to get them scanned into their system. My wife left for more shopping a little while ago so I asked her to check on the barleywine. I neglected to tell her that it will be $20 for a four pack. :smiley_acbt:

Anyone else chase after BCBS today? I really wanted to find the Backyard Rye but I don't think any of it came to Michigan.

Anyone else chase after BCBS today? I really wanted to find the Backyard Rye but I don't think any of it came to Michigan.

Many of the Binny's locations in the western suburbs of Chicago put it on sale at 9 am. Rather than go to my "local" store, which attracts many a whale chaser, I went to another one that I frequent about eight miles away that promised a nice haul (up to a case of regular, one each of the bombers, a 4-pack of barleywine and two 12-ounce bottles of the coffee). Got there at 7:50 am, just as a dozen or so folk emerged from their cars to begin the line. I was 14th in line and was able to get some of every release except for the Coffee. (I blame the guy who brought his mother as a mule.) I hit two small stores afterwards, which yielded just a single Proprietor's (coconut, the Chicago-only release) and three stray bottles of Backwoods Bastard.

Fair bit of price gouging going on out my way -- two stores today wanted $9.99 for single 12-ounce bottles of the original and the barleywine. Another store demanded customers buy a 12-pack of another Goose Island beer *and* pay $30 a 4-pack or bomber.

Between Wednesday and today, I'm happy with my haul, which fills two cases. Hopefully the base beer will see subsequent releases like last year, or my cellar will have a weird "bubble" of 2012 product.

I allowed myself the humiliating experience of getting in line at a Binny's only to be told 5 minutes into it that they were out of it. The only thing worse than standing in line for beer is standing in line for beer and then not getting any...

I'm in the northern burbs, and Binny's was ridiculous with lines 50-60 people deep, apparently. I didn't get there until around 10, so they can all eat it!

Anyway, I was able to find 4 x 4-packs of the regular BCBS, 2 x Coconuts and a one of the Backyard Ryes. I hope to find the coffee and barleywine next week, but I'm certainly not going to hold my breath. I like beer, but I need more insanity in my life like I need to be buried 6 feet under dirt.

Goose Island Bourbon County Barleywine. Good but I will stick to the stout. Nice bourbon influence with a malty background. Little hop presence.

Was a little flat for my taste, but love the pluminess of it. Can't wait to revisit it in 6 months.

I had a 2013 BCBS the other day. Not as sweet as last year, which drank like milk chocolate from day 1. This year's is more smokey, which I think leaves more room for complexity to develop over time. Because it's not as sweet, the booze is not as well-concealed, but I don't mind that. Very, very few BBA beers are in this league for me. As far as being bottled, the only thing that I enjoyed as much was The Bruery's Bois.

I had a 2013 BCBS the other day. Not as sweet as last year, which drank like milk chocolate from day 1. This year's is more smokey, which I think leaves more room for complexity to develop over time. Because it's not as sweet, the booze is not as well-concealed, but I don't mind that. Very, very few BBA beers are in this league for me. As far as being bottled, the only thing that I enjoyed as much was The Bruery's Bois.

High praise indeed! Never had a chance to try the BCBS but the Bois may well be my favorite beer ever. Certainly in my top of five!

It's pretty great indeed. Great dark, dark chocolate nose, and big ole wallop of barrelly vanilla on the finish. Great stuff.

Burton Baton, based upon a recommendation from the guy who will be my son-in-law one of these days. A really good IPA with a nice balance of hops and grapefruit with a little wood tossed in. Nice call on his part!

Phin and Matt's, Clown Shoes Galactica, Stone Enjoy By 12.13.13, BoCo 2013.

Wish the weekend could keep rolling.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!