2013 BTAC discussion

JVande
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I am going to be in Toronto and Oshawa this coming week. Any recommendations for good places to bottle shop? PM if you do.

Is the GTS'13 worth getting? My bottle of GTS'12 is still mostly full as it really hasn't done it for me. Ditto question for the WLW'13.

The general discussion on BTAC from the Info sheet thread has been moved here.

Please keep the discussion on the topic of the 2013 BTAC releases and any info sheets should be submitted to the proper thread that is stickied at the top of this forum.

Edited by callmeox

Is the GTS'13 worth getting? My bottle of GTS'12 is still mostly full as it really hasn't done it for me. Ditto question for the WLW'13.

For me, the '13 Stagg is definitely worth getting, but I really liked the '12 as well. To each his own, but I never pass up the opportunity with Stagg since it's always been a personal favorite.

Agreed. I too have a bottle 2012 Stagg I can't seem to finish. WLW has never done it for me.

Agreed. I too have a bottle 2012 Stagg I can't seem to finish. WLW has never done it for me.

Pick up the WLW's you see and I will wash your car, mow your lawn and even trim your bush for it :smile:

Pick up the WLW's you see and I will wash your car, mow your lawn and even trim your bush for it :smile:

Are you saying his bush needs trimming?

LOL ;)

Any luck this year on BTAC Brian? Indy is SCARCE this year. :(

None so far. Word is that stock should arrive here next month, so we'll see. Would like to land a Weller at least but it sounds like they're harder to find this year. How did you make out this time?

None so far. Word is that stock should arrive here next month, so we'll see. Would like to land a Weller at least but it sounds like they're harder to find this year. How did you make out this time?

It's very odd this year in KS/MO... One place got theirs in two weeks ago.. and a few last week got theirs... Other places on both sides of the state line haven't seen any yet.

On a side note.. Some places on the MO side started to see Pappy last week... No sign yet on the other side of the state line.

One of my favorite bars posted this picture earlier today..

aawsd5.jpg

Edited by KCJason1

I'm with Smknjoe - the new ORVW bottles look really different. Guess the distillery only has to buy one less bottle shape.

Thats a pretty picture

It's very odd this year in KS/MO... One place got theirs in two weeks ago.. and a few last week got theirs... Other places on both sides of the state line haven't seen any yet.

On a side note.. Some places on the MO side started to see Pappy last week... No sign yet on the other side of the state line.

One of my favorite bars posted this picture earlier today..

aawsd5.jpg

So, has anybody opened any of their BTAC bottles yet?

Opened my WLW. Thought it was excellent, but did cut it with a couple drops of water after first sampling it neat, and thought that opened it up a little. Only had it once before, so it's a bit hard for me to make a comparison to prior years. Thought it was sublime the first time I tried it, and in that sense I'd say this year's is just a hair off that quality - but that was the 5th wheater in a tasting where we slowly moved up the ladder in quality. So I don't know if that's a good point of reference.

So, has anybody opened any of their BTAC bottles yet?

My GTS crossed the mid-point last night, so I guess I've been enjoying it just fine. WAINWRIGHT asked me how I thought it compared to the last few years, and I don't have any open for direct comparison, but I enjoyed 2012, and after a bumpy start I've come to really enjoy 2013 as well. It's a very easy drinking Stagg, with a good deal of bitterness that comes across as tobacco, extremely dark chocolate, and to me at least, wasabi.

I also cracked the WLW, but I think I've only had one pour, maybe 2. I thought it was excellent and completely in line with last year's profile despite the significant rise in proof. I will say that the 2012 is still the better pour for me.

Won a small lottery today in NW Indiana. Was able to pick up WLW, ER17, and GTS. Merry Christmas to me!

Curious if more stores are shifting to the lottery approach to "spread the wealth". Around Louisville I know of one store who does, and it seems to be great free publicity. The rest follow the family then friends then high spenders path (which I don't begrudge them for).

My GTS crossed the mid-point last night, so I guess I've been enjoying it just fine. WAINWRIGHT asked me how I thought it compared to the last few years, and I don't have any open for direct comparison, but I enjoyed 2012, and after a bumpy start I've come to really enjoy 2013 as well. It's a very easy drinking Stagg, with a good deal of bitterness that comes across as tobacco, extremely dark chocolate, and to me at least, wasabi.

I also cracked the WLW, but I think I've only had one pour, maybe 2. I thought it was excellent and completely in line with last year's profile despite the significant rise in proof. I will say that the 2012 is still the better pour for me.

I love this years Stagg - its more balanced and less in your face. Some people may be upset with that, but I really enjoy how much of an easy drinker this one is. You're notes are spot on (didn't get any wasabi, though). Mine is also already at the half-way point. Better get some more...

I was disappointed with WLW. I thought it was hot, dry and one dimensional - the "valley girl" of this years BTAC. It didn't open up that much more with a splash of water.

Curious if more stores are shifting to the lottery approach to "spread the wealth". Around Louisville I know of one store who does, and it seems to be great free publicity. The rest follow the family then friends then high spenders path (which I don't begrudge them for).

I know of a few in the Indy area who do. I have mixed feelings about the fairness. It seems fair but anyone can call or stop by and put their name in and not purchase anything or support the store throughout the year. I saw where one in Missouri provides one "lottery ticket" for each bottle of selected brands you purchase (e.g., you buy two bottles of BT, you get two lottery entries). Seems fair to me since it allows those who support the store a fair opportunity to purchase premier releases. I don't recall when the purchases had to be made (e.g., if they started issue entry forms back in the summer or just for recent purchases).

I was disappointed with WLW. I thought it was hot, dry and one dimensional - the "valley girl" of this years BTAC. It didn't open up that much more with a splash of water.

I don't mean to speak for him, but I think this is more or less what MOKD thought of it as well. It took me a full week of daily tastes to get my head around GTS, but I enjoyed the WLW right out of the bottle. Different strokes.

We all know how good (and obviously consistent) Saz is, but I'm surprised we're not hearing more about Handy.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.