What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Summer 2013

Stones
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

From what I can gather from the Aldi website, it looks like that the FR could be a stayer. Which is good for all of us.

That would be great, I hope they get some more brands in :)

That would be great, I hope they get some more brands in :)

Saw the price on Bakers and nearly hopped on my bike to go fetch a bottle. Really like the stuff.

Can anyone tell me if Russel's Reserve Single Barrel is that much different than regular Russel's Reserve? Better? Lot better? Should pick it up?

Can anyone tell me if Russel's Reserve Single Barrel is that much different than regular Russel's Reserve? Better? Lot better? Should pick it up?

I suppose it goes back to what you prefer. RR is 10yo batch bourbon from multiple barrels to create a general profile bottled at a fairly lightweight 90 pf.

RRSmBSB is typically 6-8ish yo single barrel bottled at 110 pf which has the inherent pluses and minuses of a single barrel (Plus it has a goofy name which even the distiller admits to!). While they may all fall in the general profile some may suit you better than others and you would only be able to match it again for sure by finding that same barrel. Except I can't recall if they put the barrel number on the bottle. My recollection is that there is not a barrel number which is similar to other so called single barrel bourbon like ETL, recent Eagle Rare and no doubt others.

This is in my opinion an odd practice. If it is truly single barrel then identify it as such with a barrel number so once can at least have a chance to find more of the same if you want it.

Edit: Don't have a clue about Australian prices but here the RR is $30-35 and the RRSmBSB is typically more like $50 to $55 I think. Not sure if the proof warrants the extra cost!

Edited by tanstaafl2

Would love to pick up a bottle of this also, if anyone can help source one for me, id be greatful!

Finished off the last two pours from a bottle of 90 proof Buffalo Trace last night. It's all downhill to 80 proof versions now as that was my last one :(

Oh, and thanks to our friends at BT (Fred!), I took their idea of mixing root beer with BT Cream Liquor (they do it at the gift shop tasting after a tour) and modified it using Baileys. It worked a treat and was an instant hit on Sunday night with everyone who tried it!

Curious post today from Fred Minnick about an Australian based distiller using "bourbon" on the label of their product. Anybody down under heard of, seen or perhaps even tried this product?

One of those 'whoops, that's not what I meant to say' moments, but like they say, you can't unring a bell. I'm interested to know if the chocolate and vanilla undertones noted on the label refer to additives.

That stuff has been around for a while, never been tempted to try it though.

I pose the question then, why does Jim Beam (and the bourbon industry to that effect) allow their standard range of products to be sold here at 74proof and still be labelled a 'kentucky straight bourbon'?

Also, how can a premixed can of bourbon and coke also contain the term 'kentucky straight bourbon' front and centre? Are we suppossed to believe they actually use a legal straight for the mix? I would have thought all the added colours and flavours would mask even the crappiest and youngest whiskeys amongst all that coke, by some reports the base for these products come premixed as a syrup which is dilluted, carbonated and canned locally, who is responsible for regulating an export only syrup? Who would care as long as the huge profits keep rolling in?

Edited by onemorepour

My local bottle shop stocks it. I have also tried it. Now, it was awhile ago, so I cant give you detailed notes, but I can tell you that it tasted weird and had a bit of a burn. After the taste, I never looked at it twice. I think it goes for about 40?

And yes, I have cracked the ER17. Its good so far. I am going to sit down on the longweekend and try and write out a better review.

Are we suppossed to believe they actually use a legal straight for the mix? I would have thought all the added colours and flavours would mask even the crappiest and youngest whiskeys amongst all that coke

I think that's sorta the whole point.

I believe jack daniels uses green label for their premixes even though the cans are black!

It's not just there Cam...it's been going on forever. Beam, as well as many others, have a long history of "blending down".

I've been fortunate enough to collect some old Beam decanters from the late 70's/early 80's. They were blended 27.5% straight bourbon with 72.5% grain neutral! :hot:

It's really sad, as folks wanted to collect the decanters, but the real issue is that they shorted the loyal customers by skimming on the contents.

That's why I will never drink them and they remain sealed to this day. :(

Maybe Suntory will right the wrongs done by JB to y'all bourbon lovers downunder?

Hidden

All this talk lately about HH 6 BIB, and I have a liter size somewhere unopened but too tired/lazy to look through the boxes. So when in Rome and trying to be a Roman, having a 4 year Willett picked by Liquor World about 2 years back or so that is surely, unfiltered 121 proof HH. Is fantastic with one ice cube in a Sampler WT glass from more than a few years ago.

What's everyone's thoughts on the Stagg jr ? Been tempted but unsure if it's worth it so many mix reviews.

Tastes like barrel proof Buffalo Trace to me. I wouldn't overpay for it.

I have a bottle from the UK :) so much cheaper than here for sure, the cheapest here was $240 a bottle crazy pricessssssss :)

Enjoyed a great pour of Knob Creek last night. Going to have to replace this one soon - but am not looking forward to the $85 price :(

Enjoyed a great pour of Knob Creek last night. Going to have to replace this one soon - but am not looking forward to the $85 price :(

Eagle rare is posing quite the conundrum for me . The first glass from my first bottle I hated it. Too much oak for me, and generally seemed out of balance. I said never again. The last few glasses however seemed great, finally undertanding why its a popular choice. Buy another bottle and have the same initial evaluation, sits in the bar for 6 months, getting better and better. Im now up to my fifth bottle and haven't had one ive enjoyed from the first glass.

I wish I could buy the last quarter of the bottle ( for quarter the price). Any one had any similar experiences?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.