What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Summer 2013

Stones
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Hope your cold doesnt blow out cam, Im on the mend from a few days of bed rest and hated every second of it, I am still recovering a week later and only just getting my sense of smell back, man would I hate to lose my sense of smell, I barely tasted anything the last few days, I tried to have a pour of WTRB and tasted nothing, I nearly cried.

Glad you're on the mend... I tell you, any honey product will taste great with a cold, and helps the throat too. Medicinal... all the way :D

Thankfully mine is just throat/glands, and I blame the plane. It could have been standing around the gazebo for hours in the cold (well, cold weather for me), but I prefer to blame the plane ;)

The flu is going around.

I am getting over it as well. I am hitting the Wild Turkey Honey pretty hard. Like you say Cam, its medicinal.

Gonna have to buy some WT honey, its been ages, the only problem is that the bottle seems to become empty a lot faster than my doctor recommends

My workplace has been hit by flu. Only good thing about the strain we've had is no blocked nose, so taste (and breathing) is ok.

The terrible headache with the dry cough was rough though.

How to Cure A Cold by Mark Twain

Let the public do itself the honor to read my experience in doctoring a cold, as herein set forth, and then follow in my footsteps.

A lady at the Lick House told me to drink a quart of whisky every twenty-four hours, and a friend at the Occidental recommended precisely the same course.

Each advised me to take a quart - that makes half a gallon. I calculate to do it or perish in the attempt.

To celebrate Joe's picking of Woodford Reserve as the Bottle of the Month, I'm off to buy a bottle tonight. Gonna crack it and make some notes. Should be fun.... and will be one us Aussies can participate in as it's available in most shops. Anyone else want to join in?

Yeah, I still have a couple of bottles of it at home and have not reached for it in awhile. So count me in. I will probably sit down tomorrow and give it a good taste or two.

If a bourbonian of the year wants wants me in.... then im in!

Been sitting on a one litre bottle since last August. Might open it.

For a cold I suggest a hot toddy. Bourbon, honey and tea. Tea is optional I think but it's been sorting me out the past week.

Hey Vietish, send me a message man. I'm in Sydney also, would be great to catch up for a few pours!

I'm finally getting into my Dickel 12. It's about a third gone now, and the flavour seems to be opening up in the bottle. Took me nearly a year to drink it down this far, but the next third should go quick :)

Just wanted to say a big thanks to bjbrowyn for helping me out with that Stagg bottle. Really went out of his way to help a fella out even if the both time he called was when I was with my GF and she now thinks I am up to something! I know it can be a leap of faith trusting someone you have never meet, but least we know we are all in this together and that for the most part I think we seem like all trust worthy guys....right?

So, for all the Sydney folk out there, there are three Whisk(e)y events going on in Sydney that I know of this year.

There is one in May at the Stanford Plaza, run by World of Whiskies

There is Whisky Live in June at Parramatta and Moore Park

There is one at the Oak Barrel in September.

Any one planning to go to any, all, or have been to any before?

If we could all manage one, it would be a good way for everyone to meet up.

I'll be at Whiskey Live Brisbane on August 22/23, but doubt I'll make the Sydney one this year now my brother-in-law has left Sydney (and his convenient CBD appartment) to take up residence in Singapore...

Alrighty then time to buy a bottle of woodfords, has been a few months but its one that I like.

I have never been to a whiskylive before, I think I will this year, is there usually much of a bourbon contingent?

Judging by last years effort, there's definitely enough to keep a bourbon enthusiast happy, but don't expect much you won't find in Dans or First Choice. I think the highlight (for me) last year was getting to try several pours from the KBD that I otherwise would never have tried.

Has anyone tried the Old Virginia 12 year that Dans has for about $60? I didn't much care for the 6yr, but might be interested to try something at this age.

I've been thinking about grabbing a bottle too Andre. Didn't love the 6yo - used it as a mixer, but might like the 12....

Same juice, more oak, personally prefer the 6 yr for the price. OV is still average juice no matter what age. There are alot better American whiskeys at that price point. JMO

For the Sydney folk, found a shop that stocks FR Yellow Roses. Golburn Liquor on Brisbane St, Darlinghurst. Interesting store to say the least. They also have a bit of HW Double Rye for 85. Hudson for 95. EWSB for 75 and few other bits and pieces. Also stock all the Free Brothers Bitters if anyone is looking for it.

Judging by last years effort, there's definitely enough to keep a bourbon enthusiast happy, but don't expect much you won't find in Dans or First Choice. I think the highlight (for me) last year was getting to try several pours from the KBD that I otherwise would never have tried.

I just signed up to the newsletter and look forward to getting the complete tasting list.

It should be good anyway, I dont know quite how to say this but I have to admit something, I think Im turning to the dark side, I dont know whats wrong with me recently but I seem to only be getting excited by scotch, I feel like Im telling my brunette girlfriend that I actually prefer pale freckled redheads, Im changing man, Dans better release some new bourbon soooon!

I doubt any of them will be anywhere near as good as the Buffalo Trace tasting we went to a few months ago :). If the rest of the Sydney people decide on what one to go to I may be tempted :). I think they will be mostly aimed at Scotch drinkers.

Vietish that store you found with the Four Rosses, did they have any single barrel?

So, for all the Sydney folk out there, there are three Whisk(e)y events going on in Sydney that I know of this year.

There is one in May at the Stanford Plaza, run by World of Whiskies

There is Whisky Live in June at Parramatta and Moore Park

There is one at the Oak Barrel in September.

Any one planning to go to any, all, or have been to any before?

If we could all manage one, it would be a good way for everyone to meet up.

Same juice, more oak, personally prefer the 6 yr for the price. OV is still average juice no matter what age.

This is a very good point. Ordinary whisky aged longer isn't better, just older.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.