Pappy and the hunt...is it worth it?

loki993
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On the other hand, perhaps giving a limited release to a newer customer will curry their favor, creating a sense of obligation and gratitude, thus generating a new source of revenue. The plot thickens...

This is the real value of the symbiotic relationship. The dealer can easily sell the limited items but catering to one time buyers is not the best business decision. It's in his interest to hold them for regular customers who will be returning throughout the year for other purchases.

The smart retailers do exactly what you describe (and the even smarter ones don't even advertise the fact they receive these products at all). These stores are most likely to be staffed by long-time knowledgeable employees.

The short-sighted, attention seeking stores prefer to have media show up at their door to photograph the mile-long line-ups made up of one-time customers. These stores are most likely to be staffed by people that don't know the difference between bourbon and rye.

I wish I had access to the former, unfortunately, I'm forced to buy all my alcohol from the state controlled monopoly that behaves more like the latter.

Edited by portwood

Is it worth it...not sure since I have never even tasted it, but I sure would love to at some point. Impossible to get around here. I sure won't pay $500 dollars for a 15 year, which is the going rate.

If you've tasted Weller 12 you've tasted "it".

That's what I hear. I picked up a bottle a month ago...it has since disappeared.

Was nursing a bottle of Lot B for many years now, decided to get serious in the bourbon hunt this year and landed a few more bottles. I was happy and content with just having found the Lot B and 10yr, but I won a bottle of 20yr in a lottery and must say it is most certainly worth the hunt in my opinion. Now is there other fine bourbons out there, you bet; but the chase for Pappy and BTAC and the like are a lot of fun if you take the right attitude from the start. Got to be willing to accept a lot of failure to enjoy the little success in the hunt.

@ewy - that's interesting. My experience is completely the opposite. Given a choice between the WLW's, OWA107s and ORVW10s and VW12s I've had I'd take the WLW all day long. Now it's a much more interesting discussion when comparing the PVW15 to the WLW. With either one I would feel like a winner.

This year, the hunt for PVW and BTAC has been futile for me. Thought my tide had possibly changed today. Saw an ORVW 10/107 case box sitting on top of a display. So I felt the box--empty. Then asked the salesperson, who said they had no more but they had sold a couple of bottles over the weekend. So it was a close call, but another strikeout. The hunt is still kind of fun, but it would be nice to actually hit a target every once in awhile.

Buffalo Trace has only one wheat recipe mash bill that goes into all it's brands. The difference between the labels is barrel selection and no, they do not all taste the same, but none are mistaken for rye recipe brands either.

If you want to know what BT wheat recipe whisky tastes like buy the Weller. Between that and the others I believe you will find more similarities than differences.

Edited by squire

• 3 months later...

I think I've answered this one, but I think I was rather non-committal. So, just in case..."Yes". ;)

I have been fortunate this year, was able to pick up 4 bottle of PVW 20, 4 of GTS, and 4 of WLW. Have had zero luck finding the Eagle Rare 17 though.

I have been fortunate this year, was able to pick up 4 bottle of PVW 20, 4 of GTS, and 4 of WLW. Have had zero luck finding the Eagle Rare 17 though.

Ha, yes... tough luck there striking out on the ER17, you'll get no sympathies from me though :lol:.

Great work on the other finds! Have you popped them and picked a favorite?

Ha, yes... tough luck there striking out on the ER17, you'll get no sympathies from me though :lol:.

Great work on the other finds! Have you popped them and picked a favorite?

I have, not the best year for the BTAC, while still outstanding previous years have been better. My favorite's are 2009 GTS and 2012 WLW.

From my limited experience...

...the hunt is worth it. The Pappy is incidental.

tbt

Lol I got an ER17 this year if you really want it...

• 2 weeks later...

Well, if there was any hope of a cessation of irrational exuberance, Bonhams just blew that out of orbit

If you've tasted Weller 12 you've tasted "it".
I've read that over and over in this forum and I totally disagree. I've blind tasted this stuff with friends (wlw12, owa107, orvw10 & pvw15). the wlw12 got uniformly ranked far inferior to the others. I found it to be very flat and boring. I personally wouldn't ever buy it again judging from my experience.

You conspicuously left the VW Lot B out of the list. Weller 12 and Lot B are almost identical and neither taste like the rest of the bottles you listed. OWA and ORVW are fairly close to each other in flavor and PVW 15 and 20 are considerably different than the rest of the BT wheated offerings. .

Is the Pappy hunt worth it? Is there really any such thing anymore? All you have to do is build a relationship with a retailer or two and the Pappy will come to you. That's how 90% is procured I would guess.

Now hunting dusties...that takes some time, luck, and skill.

I've read that over and over in this forum and I totally disagree. I've blind tasted this stuff with friends (wlw12, owa107, orvw10 & pvw15). the wlw12 got uniformly ranked far inferior to the others.

Certainly ew, and I respect your opinion and those of your tasting group. When I conduct a blind tasting I make sure no one (myself included) knows which brands or bottles are being poured and sometimes the results are surprising.

I think I've answered this one, but I think I was rather non-committal. So, just in case..."Yes". ;)

Every time I come back across one of these Joe-Answers-Every-Question posts I get a good laugh.

:toast:

I don't know if I've answered this one myself but I would say it is worth it. Spend all your time and money on Pappy but only Pappy and Lot B. Forget the Old Rip, that stuff is garbage, as are all the Four Roses special releases. Also pass up all the age stated VOB or HH white label you find, and let me know where they are so I can avoid those stores too.

I don't know if I've answered this one myself but I would say it is worth it. Spend all your time and money on Pappy but only Pappy and Lot B. Forget the Old Rip, that stuff is garbage, as are all the Four Roses special releases. Also pass up all the age stated VOB or HH white label you find, and let me know where they are so I can avoid those stores too.

The Four Roses special releases, especially, are garbage.

Certainly ew, and I respect your opinion and those of your tasting group. When I conduct a blind tasting I make sure no one (myself included) knows which brands or bottles are being poured and sometimes the results are surprising.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.