Pappy and the hunt...is it worth it?

loki993
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Well in all honesty I had good intentions but when I saw the 4RSmbLE13 sitting there I had to make a change in plans.

I mean, I'm pretty sure I can get a whole case of VOB BIB ($160 for a case at Binny's) for less than the price of a single 20 or 23 year old Pappy. And I'd honestly enjoy it more over a longer period of time.

That and a regular customer can wrangle a discount.

Just out of curiosity, stopped in a store today which got some of the Pappy 2012 load to ask if they happened to get any for 2013. The answer: "Yep, we got some, but one guy bought it all before it even hit the shelves"....which is another part of the problem in this big, rotten picture. :frown:

"Yep, we got some, but one guy bought it all before it even hit the shelves"....which is another part of the problem in this big, rotten picture. :frown:

That's the ONLY reason PVW and other bottles are so hard to find and then go for 10x on the secondary market.

I don't understand why any store sells people more than 1. It's going to be gone within a day anyway and you'll earn loyalty with more customers.

Perhaps he just wanted to get rid of it, stores with a few bottles don't have enough to please all their best customers and may well anger some of them who didn't get a bottle.

Just had a pour with a good friend from the 20. It was worth the hunt.
Sorry to everyone else about the off topic inquiry, but I'm curious about your user name. Are you a bass player? Because the name Fodowsky looks like a mashup of Fodera and Sadowsky, two high end bass guitar makers.

Sorry to everyone else about the off topic inquiry, but I'm curious about your user name. Are you a bass player? Because the name Fodowsky looks like a mashup of Fodera and Sadowsky, two high end bass guitar makers.

Wow. You're good! :)

The sharing with the good friend is what makes it all worthwhile... on that note- I have a lovely lady friend I have introduced to some of the fine bourbons- she loves 'em. Well,, now she likes to have a taste or two before we go to bed (if you know what I mean :cool:). So for me this has now set up a Pavlov reaction, when I taste good bourbon I get a woody :slappin:

Ahem. Now I'm going to think of THAT quote every time I hear about "over oaked whiskey" or the "wood influence" of a 23- or 27-year old. To say nothing of the new meaning of thread titles like this one: http://www.straightbourbon.com/forums/showthread.php?18163-Age-and-Wood-Taste-(-)

The sharing with the good friend is what makes it all worthwhile... on that note- I have a lovely lady friend I have introduced to some of the fine bourbons- she loves 'em. Well,, now she likes to have a taste or two before we go to bed (if you know what I mean :cool:). So for me this has now set up a Pavlov reaction, when I taste good bourbon I get a woody :slappin:

Ding! Ding! Ding!

-Hector Salamanca

So ythe hunt so isn't worth it, until it is. Yesterday I acquired a nice little pappy 12 just by asking how they allocate. It's a store I regularly visit although it isn't my "home" store. I then on a whim stopped by a different store and saw the following - 2 ER17s, 2 Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107s and 1 Family Reserve Rye. Suddenly the hunt is totally worth it. Although I think the season is just about over up here in New England.

I'll fourth that. Have people lost their effin minds. I see people are posting on Craigslist $400 for a Lot B. I can't count how many times I've passed on it at retail, never thought it was worth that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$400 for Lot B. Gotta be kiddin me. "Pappy" hysteria. Think about it: That would buy 10-12 bottles of FR1b, and we've all had some private barrels of FR1b that would blow the doors off the current Lot B.

So ythe hunt so isn't worth it, until it is. Yesterday I acquired a nice little pappy 12 just by asking how they allocate. It's a store I regularly visit although it isn't my "home" store. I then on a whim stopped by a different store and saw the following - 2 ER17s, 2 Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107s and 1 Family Reserve Rye. Suddenly the hunt is totally worth it. Although I think the season is just about over up here in New England.

Hasn't made it to my area yet ...

$400 for Lot B. Gotta be kiddin me. "Pappy" hysteria. Think about it: That would buy 10-12 bottles of FR1b, and we've all had some private barrels of FR1b that would blow the doors off the current Lot B.

Well they will, at least for the foreseeable future they are alive and kicking.

I agree that we've got some lead time. But SW never produced the variety of whiskey that 4 roses has. So some will be judged as 10/10 in time and the test 9/10

No such thing as a pappy 12... They only pappy is 15,20,23.

the 12 yr you refer to is Van Winkle 12yr.

In my opinion, all of the current van Winkle bourbons are over rated and over priced. In more than 1 of our blind tastings, Weller Antique was rated superior to Pappy van Winkle 15 yr by some of the raters. The only reason to buy one is to sell it at a significant profit to unknowing bourbon hunters.

No such thing as a pappy 12... They only pappy is 15,20,23.

the 12 yr you refer to is Van Winkle 12yr.

No, you're wrong. Around here it's called Lot B, Pappy 12, or Weller 12 Pappy-style.

Completely agree, especially the overrated part. People like what they like and in my blind tastings choose other brands over Van Winkle products. Of course Pappy draws favorable comments if poured from the bottle, even if you decanted the Pappy and filled the bottle with Weller.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.