Pappy and the hunt...is it worth it?

loki993
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'll probably get skinned for the suggestion, but could they not also do something similar to what Beam do with Devils Cut?

Good idea indeed, Cam: why not add the squeezings to one of the other bourbons made by BT?

Gary

:drink:

Not much challenge to the hunt. I bought 7 bottles in the last 3 days. Totally worth it to me.

We all look for it in every store. I just don't make any special trips out for that sole purpose and/or drive out of my way, but I'll always look for the hidden gems (not just Pappy), wherever I may be.

I do think its worth it if you find it and can afford to take it home! But for me personally, I'm only willing to pay the price that I feel is reasonable. Additionally, if I have to put in numerous hours driving and searching, then it most definitely isn't worth it to me.

As others have stated previously, there are simply too many other fine options for me to better occupy my time with, for which I am thankful.

Congratulations!

:drink:

We all look for it in every store. I just don't make any special trips out for that sole purpose and/or drive out of my way, but I'll always look for the hidden gems (not just Pappy), wherever I may be.

I do think its worth it if you find it and can afford to take it home! But for me personally, I'm only willing to pay the price that I feel is reasonable. Additionally, if I have to put in numerous hours driving and searching, then it most definitely isn't worth it to me.

As others have stated previously, there are simply too many other fine options for me to better occupy my time with, for which I am thankful.

Congratulations!

Agreed. I know people who've put themselves on wait lists at stores within a 2 hour radius and spent half of last week driving around chasing it.

There are three stores in my town that get it...possibly a fourth one does but they jack up prices on even routine stuff and have bad customer service so I haven't gone in there in two years. One does a first-come first-serve, the second the owner set aside the bottle I asked for, and the third is too remote for me to bother. That's the extent of my chase.

I don't have time to read this whole thread, but am interested in how many of you have compared past bottling's to the current releases. I'll pipe in with my two cents that the Lot B is not the same profile. Hot and spicy, not even close to the profile of an older bottling. Glad I have the oldies stocked! Won't be buying anymore. Bummed that I paid $100 bucks for the bottle I got! It's no longer worth the inflated prices!

I don't have time to read this whole thread, but am interested in how many of you have compared past bottling's to the current releases. I'll pipe in with my two cents that the Lot B is not the same profile. Hot and spicy, not even close to the profile of an older bottling. Glad I have the oldies stocked! Won't be buying anymore. Bummed that I paid $100 bucks for the bottle I got! It's no longer worth the inflated prices!

I am also glad I have a few things in the bunker. I was offered some Pappy today by my local at $170 for the 20yo, $110 for the 15, $75 for the lot B... I'll pass

The LotB 2012 I had tastes just like W12 and nothing at all like the Lot B (2003? VanBlankle) that Randy Blank brought to the last tasting here in Houston. Two totally different whiskeys. Spicy and sooty vs liquid sweetened butter. I have not had any other S-W Van Winkles.

We actually compared an oldie to a 2012 and a 2013 (Lot B). I'll stick with the oldies! I turned down the opportunity to buy one in the Big Red Lottery the other day. The guy looked at me like I was an idiot. He doesn't know what I have at home.......

We actually compared an oldie to a 2012 and a 2013 (Lot B). I'll stick with the oldies! I turned down the opportunity to buy one in the Big Red Lottery the other day. The guy looked at me like I was an idiot. He doesn't know what I have at home.......

I'll stick with the oldies! I turned down the opportunity...The guy looked at me like I was an idiot. He doesn't know what I have at home.......

How was that grand opening/Pappy lottery, Dawn? Was it a big crowd? I got the email about it but obviously couldn't attend.

I had more or less the same experience with ORVW 90. A couple of years ago, I bought my first bottle at a local Greenwood store (near O'Malia's on SR135). I thought it was great. The next bottle (from the same store) was much different. It was ok, but nothing special. I could have entered the Big Red lottery, but didn't. I know that if I want to spend $$$ in one place, I'll be planning a road trip to Louisville. :grin:

I am with you Paul. You had to be present to participate and I had to work. Besides, they were trying to bring a lot of people into the store at the same time so I thought why bother. I saved my money for a trip to TPS this weekend. Well, I do have to take my wife to Jungle Jim's first. No Pappy or BTAC, but I think I will do alright.

I am with you Paul. You had to be present to participate and I had to work. Besides, they were trying to bring a lot of people into the store at the same time so I thought why bother. I saved my money for a trip to TPS this weekend. Well, I do have to take my wife to Jungle Jim's first. No Pappy or BTAC, but I think I will do alright.

TPS + Jungle Jim's = Toys R Us for drinkers

TPS + Jungle Jim's = Toys R Us for drinkers

I know...:grin:

I have never been to TPS. Any suggestions on private barrels or other selections?

Found a shop with 2 bottles of 10 year ORVW for $145 each. :lol: It's sad that someone not knowing what they are doing are going to buy them just for the name.

Found a shop with 2 bottles of 10 year ORVW for $145 each. :lol: It's sad that someone not knowing what they are doing are going to buy them just for the name.

I'll second that...and drink to it as well! :drinking:

Ill third that. Stopped by a shop that had Lot B for $159.99 and it was gone. They did however lower the price of the WT american spirit $20 after I laughed at them last year, it is now "only" $129.

I know...:grin:

I have never been to TPS. Any suggestions on private barrels or other selections?

1) TPS OWA single barrel picks.

2) TPS FR Single Barrel Private Selections-they had most if not all of the ten recipes

3) BIB's and AAA ten year.

Ill third that. Stopped by a shop that had Lot B for $159.99 and it was gone. They did however lower the price of the WT american spirit $20 after I laughed at them last year, it is now "only" $129.

Definitely sounds like a place I probably wouldn't be in too much.

2) TPS FR Single Barrel Private Selections-they had most if not all of the ten recipes

wish I had a place like that here in Michigan....

Edited by p_elliott

4) Very Old Barton

Edited by miller542

I'll fourth that. Have people lost their effin minds. I see people are posting on Craigslist $400 for a Lot B. I can't count how many times I've passed on it at retail, never thought it was worth that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those who are buying a label with the intent to impress aren't thinking in terms of value because they're in fact displaying a lack thereof.

Those who are buying a label with the intent to impress aren't thinking in terms of value because they're in fact displaying a lack thereof.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.