Pappy and the hunt...is it worth it?

loki993
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

And not just the lot B

$400 for Lot B. Gotta be kiddin me. "Pappy" hysteria. Think about it: That would buy 10-12 bottles of FR1b, and we've all had some private barrels of FR1b that would blow the doors off the current Lot B.

If anyone wants a good laugh check out internetwines.com. They have most the pappy and WLW. $1999 for 23 year. WLW and ORVW10 and WLW $429. I bet people still buy it.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Perusing the internets I come upon many a picture of people's 10, 15, 20 bottle pappy hauls all from this year. I'd like a few and I may have 0, but damn if I'm not happier to be the person with 0 than 20. I just don't understand that mentality. This is what it feels like to be bourbon Zen. Cheers

I was able to score a Lot B earlier this year when they went online at TPS. I think most of the fun was in the hunt. Now that it's in my cabinet I'm good to go. Just have to wait to crack it open and try it. But I'm in no rush.

No...in my opinion anyway.

I've been into bourbon for a couple of years now, and I went through the stage of wanting to have all the "good stuff". I did finally score a couple ORVW 10s, a few Lot Bs and a PVW 15 (over the last year...didn't score all these recently). So far I have opened a Lot B, and had Weller 12, Vintage 17 and JPS 18 (comparable bourbons). Based on what I have drank so far I'm afraid I'm not going to be wowed by the ORVW or the PVW 15 when I get around to opening them. So yeah, for me it ain't worth the hassle.

I finally got some PVW this year without hunting for it at all. It was offered to me by a store manager who knew I frequented his store. So, in that case it was completely worth it.

On the other hand, I have spent over a hundred if not hundreds of hours hunting dusties and I've enjoyed it quite a bit. I doubt many people would say that the fruits of my labor were worth it though.

On Wednesday I was running errands and popped into a little store looking for dusties and saw two bottles of OVRW 10/107. Turns out they'd been on the shelf for two weeks so they were practically dusties. I also found some CC15 in decorative tins which my friends from Canada went crazy over. It's those times when you aren't looking for pappy and you find it that make it all the more fun. As to the juice inside it's fine, but if ORVW wasn't on the label I wouldn't buy it again unless it was 1/2 the price. As it is most of this will be given out in tastes to other people.

the juice inside it's fine, but if ORVW wasn't on the label I wouldn't buy it again unless it was 1/2 the price. As it is most of this will be given out in tastes to other people.

Good move, that's exactly what I would do.

Lot B tastes just like W12. I think you will notice a difference with the other VWs though.

Yeah, I did a side by side with Weller 12 and Lot B, and I honestly would have thought they both came from the same bottle if I hadn't of poured them myself.

Yeah, I did a side by side with Weller 12 and Lot B, and I honestly would have thought they both came from the same bottle if I hadn't of poured them myself.

I get more sweetness and vanilla in the Lot B. Very similar though. If they werent side by side, I couldnt pick.

I don't have a current release Lot B open to compare. When the line was changed from the glued label to the self stick label 3 or 4 years back, that release had an intense chocolate cherry cordial flavor.

I'm with Thad and the others who think that the current W12 has a thin sootiness to it that wasn't present in earlier bottlings.

As far as the worthiness of the hunt, each time I read an article about the popularity of bourbon and the mania around some releases, I'm thankful that I got in before the wave began to build. I like the VW stuff for what I paid and would easily pass on it now that it is in 1:3 or 1:4 pricing.

The days of driving to Erie, PA twice a year to pluck multiples of Lot B off the shelf at 35.00 out the door are a distant memory.

I quit buying Lot B when the cost went up to $19.99 a bottle.

So I guess a Weller 12 @ $19.99 is too much to pay?

For my own use yes but that's because I prefer rye recipe Bourbons. I would buy a bottle as a gift for someone who liked Weller though.

• 4 weeks later...
It's only worth it to me if I happen to stumble upon a bottle, which I have done a few times. Otherwise I don't think the hooplah is worth it. If you want something very similar try Weller 12, it's basically the same thing as the 12 year pappy at a lower proof, though the barrel was not handpicked by JVW. There was an interview on whiskey cast recently where he said Weller was the primary bourbon consumed in the Winkle household.

Regarding Weller, I have heard similar comparisons as well. That Weller is the same "recipe" as Pappy's but just didn't quite make the grade when sampled before bottling. I have not personally tasted Pappy's though. After drinking perhaps 2 dozen bourbons in the past year, I would have to say that Weller is my overwhelming preference and arrived at this conclusion before I became aware of the comparisons to Pappy's.

This is the real value of the symbiotic relationship. The dealer can easily sell the limited items but catering to one time buyers is not the best business decision. It's in his interest to hold them for regular customers who will be returning throughout the year for other purchases.

We of course being the favored customer.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.