Pappy and the hunt...is it worth it?

loki993
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Good point, Yeti. I'm just saying, YMMV. And I didn't exactly move heaven and earth to find them. Dropped some cash on some other bottles, got in good with the owner, moved quickly and to some extent may have gotten lucky.

Just pulling your leg, bud.

It's exactly your kind I story that keeps the hope alive for everyone else.

Hopefully mine too, well I wont be tripping over anything, Im only getting one bottle if I can....for whatever reason I feel strangely optimistic about it...

Hopefully mine too, well I wont be tripping over anything, Im only getting one bottle if I can....for whatever reason I feel strangely optimistic about it...

Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things.

If you don't have one, and you want one...yes, it's worth the hunt. Just, retain your dignity and your Soul while doing so...

:toast:

If you don't have one, and you want one...yes, it's worth the hunt. Just, retain your dignity and your Soul while doing so...

:toast:

I always go with the approach of "don't do anything you'd hide from your Mother or your Employer", Otherwise...have at it!

When is the "new" distillation of Pappy bourbons coming out of BT? I seem to remember they were eventually going to release some.

I always go with the approach of "don't do anything you'd hide from your Mother or your Employer", Otherwise...have at it!

if only the other 99.9% of the population thought like that.....

When is the "new" distillation of Pappy bourbons coming out of BT? I seem to remember they were eventually going to release some.

Do you mean when will BT distillate be in bottles labeled "Pappy Van Winkle?" Because that already happened.

When is the "new" distillation of Pappy bourbons coming out of BT?

Not sure of your question Mark, are you asking at what point will all Pappy labels be 100% Buffalo Trace distillate? It's my understanding the 23 is still SW whisky, the 20 is SW/BT blend and all the rest is BT though I don't follow such things closely.

Not sure of your question Mark, are you asking at what point will all Pappy labels be 100% Buffalo Trace distillate? It's my understanding the 23 is still SW whisky, the 20 is SW/BT blend and all the rest is BT though I don't follow such things closely.

It seems like the closer you try to follow it, the more confusing it gets...I've read so many different statements on this site alone about the supposed composition of the current releases...

My post was based on some comments made by Julian and Preston Van Winkle, also a few from Harlen Wheatley, but I wasn't really paying attention to them because it's not something I care much about. If all the Van Winkle/Pappy versions were readily available on the shelves I would still pass.

Edited by squire

it's not something I care much about. If all the Van Winkle/Pappy versions were readily available on the shelves I would still pass.

that says a lot right there. Squire's been at this for decades, and still says this.

that says a lot right there. Squire's been at this for decades, and still says this.

Yeah, but Squire's not a wheater guy.

.....is chasing pappy worth it or should I look elsewhere for something different? I mean you have to do it at least once right?

IMHO the answers to your questions in order are: Pappy isn't really special enough in intrinsic taste/aroma to be worth the price.

It is, of course the great 'unicorn' of many folks who hunt it. So, for respect and rarity it is in a class by itself. That doesn't mean it's fabulous, only rare, expensive, and hard to get. As to 'something different', you mentioned you have many in the lower to middle price ranges that you like well enough; so there's your answer. As to the idea that "you have to do it at least once"; there is no such rule. ... But, it is an experience that will broaden your understanding of what all the commotion might be (or not be). So, look for a place that'll serve you a dram of it at $25 or $30 and try it "once". Then you'll truly know whether it's worth the effort and expense

to you. :rolleyes:

I agree with everyone that said to try a pour at a bar. I remember that for many years, I could have easily walked into one of several stores and bought the various VWs for regular retail prices. I thought the stuff was some kind of novelty/permanent store display in the glass case with the crazy expensive scotch and tequilas. I did purchase a couple bottles of Old Rip, when I could get it under $40. I thought it was good, but very similar and not better than Weller 12 at $25. Granted Pappy is older. Older doesn't guarantee you will like it more.

Don't forget you can probably get a sample from some of the fine SBers around here. That's how I got my first taste.

As to whether it's something one should do at least once I'm reminded of the bamboo fly rod aficionados who want to fish with an original Dickerson just once and when they do discover that while nice it isn't really identifiably "better" than one that cost 1/10th of the price.

Sometimes rare and expensive is just rare and expensive.

There are those who love or hate Pappy because it's fashionable to love or hate Pappy :) There are those that love it or not because they just love it or not.

All I know is that I've enjoyed it for more years than I want to admit and it's always been a tasty treat. I've also never paid more than retail for a bottle. It's always been worth it to me. YMM-Certainly-V. But, IMO, you should try it - preferably with a good friend on a good night.

There are those who love or hate Pappy because it's fashionable to love or hate Pappy :) There are those that love it or not because they just love it or not.

All I know is that I've enjoyed it for more years than I want to admit and it's always been a tasty treat. I've also never paid more than retail for a bottle. It's always been worth it to me. YMM-Certainly-V. But, IMO, you should try it - preferably with a good friend on a good night.

This raises a good question. What is the MSRP for the various releases? I checked the internet and can only find online premium prices.

I have not bought any since 2009 when I bought 2x PVW20 ($75 each) and 6x PVW15 ($45 each) on clearance because it wouldn't sell at this college area store (I drink it sparingly, still have 1.4 and 4.5 bottles). It had been on the shelf since 2007, so they said. The same store just announced that this year there will be a lottery with the prices $100 for the PVW15, $200 for the 20, and $300 for the 23. Times have changed. As mentioned earlier, I love my Pappy but for the price I buy W12 and OWA.

Interestingly, I suddenly have many friends asking me where to get Pappy, that they just have to have a bottle, since all the news about the stolen Pappy???

I have not bought any since 2009 when I bought 2x PVW20 ($75 each) and 6x PVW15 ($45 each) on clearance because it wouldn't sell at this college area store

Damn, I really need to get to work on my Flux Capacitor.

I have not bought any since 2009 when I bought 2x PVW20 ($75 each) and 6x PVW15 ($45 each) on clearance because it wouldn't sell at this college area store (I drink it sparingly, still have 1.4 and 4.5 bottles). It had been on the shelf since 2007, so they said. The same store just announced that this year there will be a lottery with the prices $100 for the PVW15, $200 for the 20, and $300 for the 23. Times have changed. As mentioned earlier, I love my Pappy but for the price I buy W12 and OWA.

Interestingly, I suddenly have many friends asking me where to get Pappy, that they just have to have a bottle, since all the news about the stolen Pappy???

Receipt from online order placed on 10/28/09. Those were days, lol:

Order Number: 3722

Description Quantity Price Ext Price.

Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year 107 Pr 3 $34.99 $104.97

Item #: 31446

Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year 90 Pro 3 $28.99 $86.97

Item #: 42373

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.