Pappy and the hunt...is it worth it?

loki993
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

To the title of this thread: "Pappy and the hunt...is it worth it"? What's the downside? Sure it's worth it if you think it is.

Call me crazy, but I kind of think this year is going to be where the tide starts to turn.

There are a lot of people out there who have never even seen a bottle, who have spent 1-2 years anticipating finding the stuff. They've been told that the move to a once yearly release will make things easier. Despite this, they'll still never see a bottle.

There is already starting to be some negative backlash.

It can only remain "unobtainable" for so long before people turn negative and move on to the newest fad.

I've come to the conclusion that if I run up on it I'll get it but I'm not going on a search. There are just so many fine tasting, high proof Bourbons & ryes at great prices for my tastes.

Call me crazy, but I kind of think this year is going to be where the tide starts to turn.

There are a lot of people out there who have never even seen a bottle, who have spent 1-2 years anticipating finding the stuff. They've been told that the move to a once yearly release will make things easier. Despite this, they'll still never see a bottle.

There is already starting to be some negative backlash.

It can only remain "unobtainable" for so long before people turn negative and move on to the newest fad.

Not this year. Demand is higher than ever.

The "there will be more next year" argument just means that there will be very little in more places.

Not this year. Demand is higher than ever.

The "there will be more next year" argument just means that there will be very little in more places.

I mean this year, after the release.

The demand is definitely higher this year than last...but I think that the vast majority of these folks are going to be bitterly disappointed in a couple weeks when they realize it has all come and gone.

Receipt from online order placed on 10/28/09. Those were days, lol:

Order Number: 3722

Description Quantity Price Ext Price.

Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year 107 Pr 3 $34.99 $104.97

Item #: 31446

Old Rip Van Winkle 10 Year 90 Pro 3 $28.99 $86.97

Item #: 42373

Those are great prices... This was a local stores pricing from this year.. These are from the email they sent out.. A little higher but not terrible. These prices are about $2 higher than last years prices.

We have 3 bottles each of Van Winkle:

10 year 107 proof@ $35.99

12 year @ $48.99

15 year @ $69.99

20 year @ $114.99

2 bottles each of: 23 year Pappy 95.6 proof @ $219.99 each

1 bottle @ $64.99: Van Winkle 13 yr. Rye 95.6 proof

Those are great prices... This was a local stores pricing from this year.. These are from the email they sent out.. A little higher but not terrible. These prices are about $2 higher than last years prices.

We have 3 bottles each of Van Winkle:

10 year 107 proof@ $35.99

12 year @ $48.99

15 year @ $69.99

20 year @ $114.99

2 bottles each of: 23 year Pappy 95.6 proof @ $219.99 each

1 bottle @ $64.99: Van Winkle 13 yr. Rye 95.6 proof

Those are great prices. Buy whatever you can.

And 15 bottles is a damn good allotment.

Back in 2011 I did the hunt and it was fun. Shared with friends. Opened a bunch of bottles. Last year I passed on an offer since it didn't seem quite as fun anymore. This year...I've had people ask to buy them off me for silly prices. Reminds me of some wine lists I signed up for back in the day. Cult Napa wineries that were so hard to find but once I finally made the list, I realized the prices for the wines didn't bring me THAT much more joy than much cheaper bottles.

I wish I could change my user name haha! Good luck to those who will hunt and get some stuff this year.

I can recall the early 2000's when pappy sat on the shelves collecting dust. It was available most of the year. As it started disappearing off the shelves, I went through the hunt phase as well: multiple stores and towns. IN 2010 with the transition to BT, I decided to give up the hunt. In my mind the reward for the price was not worth it. I've got enough pre 2011 bottles to last many years to come.

current prices here....

ORVW 107 $59.99

Lot B $79.99

13 yo rye $99.99

PVW 15 $109.99

PVW 20 $199.99

PVW 23 $349.99

Yesterday, I did get a 2012 PVW 15 and plan to compare to the SW PVW 15 in the near future. tim

I can recall the early 2000's when pappy sat on the shelves collecting dust. It was available most of the year. As it started disappearing off the shelves, I went through the hunt phase as well: multiple stores and towns. IN 2010 with the transition to BT, I decided to give up the hunt. In my mind the reward for the price was not worth it. I've got enough pre 2011 bottles to last many years to come.

current prices here....

ORVW 107 $59.99

Lot B $79.99

13 yo rye $99.99

PVW 15 $109.99

PVW 20 $199.99

PVW 23 $349.99

Yesterday, I did get a 2012 PVW 15 and plan to compare to the SW PVW 15 in the near future. tim

Wow...I guess I shouldn't feel a little bad for paying $75 for VWFRR yesterday. The last time I actually bought some it was $50 (2011). Like you in 2010, I gave up the hunting after 2011 season...too much hassle, time & $$. If I had not been in right place at the right time yesterday, I'm quite sure I wouldn't have seen & bought any this year.

I did go hunting when I heard the Old Time Rye was being phased out, that one was the pick of the litter.

I did go hunting when I heard the Old Time Rye was being phased out, that one was the pick of the litter.

I was able to get three bottles of the Old Time but haven't seen any since, a shame really. I don't know if the replacement Family Reserve Rye is the same stuff, could be, I suspect the change was mostly to justify a higher price for the Van Winkle name, but I'm not willing to pay the current price just because it has Van Winkle on the label.

As many on SB.com have said, it is easier to get a taste of Pappy from a bar or friend, than it is to chase after it. Apparently, it is much easier to get Pappy in some bars than others. Check out the top shelf of the bottle display at Krust Woodfired Pizza & Bourbon Bar in Middletown, CT. 37 bottles of Van Winkle bourbon! 2 Old Rip, 4 Lot B, and 31 PVW (various amounts of the 15, 20, and 23 Year Old). I guess bars and restaurants do get the lion's share of the distribution. You might have to right-click on the image, and open it in a new window to see the details a little better.

post-10115-14489819922812_thumb.jpg

post-10115-14489819922812_thumb.jpg

Outrageous! They must be a FOJVW.

As many on SB.com have said, it is easier to get a taste of Pappy from a bar or friend, than it is to chase after it. Apparently, it is much easier to get Pappy in some bars than others. Check out the top shelf of the bottle display at Krust Woodfired Pizza & Bourbon Bar in Middletown, CT. 37 bottles of Van Winkle bourbon! 2 Old Rip, 4 Lot B, and 31 PVW (various amounts of the 15, 20, and 23 Year Old). I guess bars and restaurants do get the lion's share of the distribution. You might have to right-click on the image, and open it in a new window to see the details a little better.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16812[/ATTACH]

If I'm thinking the right guy, that fellow is a member here, on SB. Can't remember his name, but he used to post a lot. For whatever reason, I was thinking he purchased those retail over the years for his restaurant. Though, I may be wrong.

Joe, I tend to agree with you. I know that I have seen those pictures somewhere before, and quite a while ago. I don't know if it was in an old "Show Your Stash" or "What Did You Purchase" thread, but it was somewhere around here.

The owner is a FOJVW according to rumor, but I honestly think that they have dirt on/cozy relations with the distributor cause the place has not been open that long (about a year) and there are a bunch of bottles on the back bar that haven't been available in the state in quite some time. A fine establishment, with decent pizza, but I don't think all of those bottles got on the shelf through the three-tier system. Which I believe is legal in NYC, but not in CT or MA as far as I know. I don't want to cast aspersions, but they've got to know the right people to not get in trouble for this. Not a single other spot in CT holds a candle to their absurd selection.

The owner is a FOJVW according to rumor, but I honestly think that they have dirt on/cozy relations with the distributor cause the place has not been open that long (about a year) and there are a bunch of bottles on the back bar that haven't been available in the state in quite some time. A fine establishment, with decent pizza, but I don't think all of those bottles got on the shelf through the three-tier system. Which I believe is legal in NYC, but not in CT or MA as far as I know. I don't want to cast aspersions, but they've got to know the right people to not get in trouble for this. Not a single other spot in CT holds a candle to their absurd selection.

Think they could be from his personal collection? The fellow I'm thinking about's Avatar is a picture of him, glasses, with outstretched hand holding a mini (Blanton's maybe?), with Signature saying something like "Bourbon makes me feel like a giant", or something like that. He had been very active, and I'm sure accumulated a nice personal stash. Damn, I wish I could remember better...:crazy: If this is the same guy, he commented on his Pappy accumulation for his restaurant, and posted a picture.

Nice guy as I remember.

I think I remember him vaguely now, it was before I joined, I was just trolling the site then... He did seem to be a nice guy, and I think he was wise if he accumulated those bottles from his personal collection to serve the needs of the restaurant, but I still don't think that that is legal in CT. Which means he knows the right people, which doesn't exactly seem like fair business practice. There are plenty of great bars that don't have any means of maintaining a selection like that.

Think they could be from his personal collection? The fellow I'm thinking about's Avatar is a picture of him, glasses, with outstretched hand holding a mini (Blanton's maybe?), with Signature saying something like "Bourbon makes me feel like a giant", or something like that. He had been very active, and I'm sure accumulated a nice personal stash. Damn, I wish I could remember better...:crazy: If this is the same guy, he commented on his Pappy accumulation for his restaurant, and posted a picture.

Nice guy as I remember.

ChefNash51? (padpadpadpad)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.