What Bourbon did you purchase today? Winter '13-'14

bigtoys
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

You're right - it is DSP 414! Has it right on the tax stamp! And you're also right about it being great stuff - I drove back this morning to check out another (as he had two handles, but we thought the second didn't have a tax stamp). It was a Christmas (almost) miracle - second handle was also tax stamped 414, and is coming home :D
Great finds Gary and those are rather tasty,I really love the stuff myself....... and handles no less!

Lamenting the VOB's loss of an age statement, I went and picked up a couple Old Ezra 7/101's. One of the only value age stated whiskeys left around here... Picked up a liter of Bulleit too, just because the price was pretty good.

Did a little 'dusty hunting' with my son, Gary today. I managed a few slightly aged Old Foresters, and one handle of OF that seems to be from mid-to-late-eighties (tax stamp, no gov't warning) along with a WT-101 that Gary thinks may be from the early 2000's ('01-'04?). He picked up a WT-101 that's a little older.

Was some fun, and worth the effort, especially since it was some time we were able to spend together, "just the guys". :slappin:

Whenever I open the 'handle' I'll post about how it is.

Well, Gary & I did crack ,and it was LOVELY! It is 414, and has a huge, rich mouthfeel and a big robust palate... & the nose is pretty damned fine to boot. You were right wmpevans. Gary grabbed the last remaining bottle which we mistakenly left the first time around, not seeing the tax stamp (it was turned forward and the stamp was on the back). Lucky guy; I was gonna go back after the Holidays to grab it ... even if it had no stamp.

Cards you have a find there, age stated Grand Dad is not something you see everyday. I suggest you go back and grab any more they have and the Foresters as well.

When I was there I picked up a liter bottle as well of the age stated grand dad. I think he has some more in the store. I'll go by tomorrow and look into it. I'm sure he has a bunch of the old forester in there still.

I just cracked the champion open and it isn't that bad. Wouldn't say it's a favorite. Not a lot of bite to it at only 80 proof. Grand dad to be cracked open next.

Look forward to your notes.

You were right. The grand dad is quite a bourbon. Very spicy on the nose. The palate is sweet with a big dose of spiciness as well. Full of flavor. I didn't love the finish because quickly I tasted a minty/medicinal quality. That still isn't stopping me from going back to see if he has anymore of it though.

Grabbed an Early Times 100 proof 150th anniversary bottle (never seen it before, and technically not bourbon - but curious how 100 proof ET tastes).

CF the minty quality you are tasting is due to the high rye content in the Grand Dad mash bill which is something one either likes or one doesn't. It is the flavor of traditional high rye Bourbon and very popular with some hereabouts. Also a useful yardstick to determine if your palate leans toward low rye or wheat mash bills.

Picked up a JB Signature Craft 12 year, Jefferson's Chef, along with two non bourbon whiskeys, Seven Brothers Wheat whiskey and a bottle of Slow and Low which is some Rock and Rye thing (It was cheap and I am always after trying new things!)

Finally found a 2013 FRSmB LE! Very excited to open this one and then take a long break from premium buys. Nothing but under $35 bottles for me for the next few months.

I picked up a bottle of Bulleit 10 year for Christmas Eve. For $40 and a 10 year I expected a little more. It was tasty but nothing really wowed me.

Finally found a 2013 FRSmB LE! Very excited to open this one and then take a long break from premium buys. Nothing but under $35 bottles for me for the next few months.

I'll drink to that, for sure. Nice way to end the 'season'!

I picked up a Bulleit bourbon today in da UP. Talk about a bourbon wasteland. I asked the person at the counter for some Four Roses and he handed me some tequila rose. Gag. Anyway was lucky enough to find a Bulleit to go along with my OGD BiB up here while visiting the in-laws.

With all the age statements dropping like flies, and this and that being discontinued due to shortages or what-not, I thought I better grab some HH6BIB. When I went to find some, it was either out, no longer carried, or just a few bottles everywhere I went. So, I ordered a case at the big box store, and waited to see if it would come in.......Ive voiced several times my idea that it was just a matter of time before this gets axed.

It came in today, still with an age statement, and Im gonna put it aside just for backup. With a case discount its pennies over $10 a bottle, and a steal. I hope it stays in production, but Im preparing otherwise. I've heard rumors....

Im gonna go back and get a case of the HH6 90 proof as well. with the discount its just over $8 a bottle.

A case of each in the cellar is a good start. This stuff is so cheap its easy to create a stash on the cheap.

get 'em while you can, right?

post-10005-14489820193595_thumb.jpg

Cards you have a find there, age stated Grand Dad is not something you see everyday. I suggest you go back and grab any more they have and the Foresters as well.

Driving through Kentucky on my way to Georgia, pulled off to get some gas. Saw a little po dunk liquor store..what the hell, why not..

Grab their 3 bottles HH BIB 6yr at $8.00 each. I love Kentucky. .:cool:

Getting a jump on the new year, picked up a EWSB 04'.

Hope the new year holds up the standards of the last couple.

B

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!