Old Weller Antique shortage??

Enoch
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Several of the large stores in Columbia SC have discontinued OWA because they say it is currently unavailable. Does anyone know if there is a shortage or is it just no longer available in SC?

seems these days if it comes from BT, there are shortages. stock up when you can. of course, this is also another root cause of shortages, but, every man for himself it seems

I haven't checked recently but the supply has always been spotty around here.

I haven't heard anything either, but same here. It's easier to find Weller 12 at most places (close to me.)

There seems to be less on the shelf around here, but I can still find it at multiple locations. I have noticed Eagle Rare supplies getting thinner as well.

The only shop around me that I know who carries it only has bottles from a selected barrel in stock. No word on whether they'll be able to continue carrying it after its gone, but they did say they can't get Weller 12 at all.

I don't think it's well received around here anyway but everything goes through the State here and they order what sells.

Yep... I've whined several times about OWA going extinct out here. Total Wine says it's expected in stock Nov 2014. It's been out for at least 6 months already.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Yep... I've whined several times about OWA going extinct out here. Total Wine says it's expected in stock Nov 2014. It's been out for at least 6 months already.

That's what I was just told at Friugals. From now on it will be released once a year with the BTAC. Next release is nov 2014.

That's what I was just told at Friugals. From now on it will be released once a year with the BTAC. Next release is nov 2014.

Dammit. In 5 years, will there even BE a middle shelf? Seems like they want a bunch of 80 proof near-blends and then special yearly release $100 bottlings.

For years, it seems to go through spans of months. I won't see any in the few retailers that sometimes have it. As it is now, I haven't seen one in the wild for like half a year. Each time I say to myself "this is it". Once, I got so fed up I dove to KY to stock up. Now, I have to say, I'm starting to agree more and more with the people saying the quality has slipped. Too bad.

In the last several months, I've heard salespeople, in several different stores, tell customers. ..

Have you ever had Weller Antique or Weller 12?. Its the same as the Van Winkle bourbons...

It seemed to me that in all these cases, the customer was an uninformed buyer. This kind of new buyer may be contributing to shortages in some areas.

Liquor store owners and distributors (and a few SBers :)) love to gossip. If it doesn't sell they won't carry it. As with the Weller 12 supply issue, it's most likely regional and sporadic.

In the last several months, I've heard salespeople, in several different stores, tell customers. ..

Have you ever had Weller Antique or Weller 12?. Its the same as the Van Winkle bourbons...

It seemed to me that in all these cases, the customer was an uninformed buyer. This kind of new buyer may be contributing to shortages in some areas.

I think BT is having some really issues with their entire supply line. I've been told twice now by my local retailer that he's having a hard time getting regular BT, ER, and Blantons. Then all of these others product lines being dropped or sporadic.....

Something is going on, and it's not good for any of us.

B

Is it at all possible that some of the shortages are just due to the time of year? Everyone is buying booze for themselves and/or others. Delivery schedules thrown out of whack due to holidays and bad weather...

And when people miss out on pappy or BTAC or whatever else, they suddenly have 'extra' money to spend on other pours...

Just throwin' some stuff out there.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.