Old Weller Antique shortage??

Enoch
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Here is the receipt.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17973[/ATTACH]

I was at a warehouse type wine store and on the shelf they have Weller 12 for 20.99 and Weller Antique 107 for 26.99.

I always thought the 12 was more expensive than the 107.

I was at a warehouse type wine store and on the shelf they have Weller 12 for 20.99 and Weller Antique 107 for 26.99.

I always thought the 12 was more expensive than the 107.

Me thinks maybe that is priced bassackward..:shocked:
methinks I'd have grabbed more than two at that price!

That's the standard everyday price for those bottles here in Houston: WSR ~$18, W12 ~$21, OWA ~$25.

I've typically seen OWA priced higher than W12 at list. However, seeing W12 priced way out of line is also typical.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Went by Julio's at lunch. Pretty much all mid-shelf BT products are either sold out (BT, ETL, Loch & K(e)y OWA) or will be soon (ER10, Standard OWA). Upper and upper/mid shelf stock seems fine - plenty of Single Oak Project, CEHT standards, and Blanton's.

Went by Julio's at lunch. Pretty much all mid-shelf BT products are either sold out (BT, ETL, Loch & K(e)y OWA) or will be soon (ER10, Standard OWA). Upper and upper/mid shelf stock seems fine - plenty of Single Oak Project, CEHT standards, and Blanton's.

I've slowly watched the supply of OWA and Special Reserve dwindle over the last 3 months at my local shop, one of the top booze shops in my area. Today, you cannot find either of those bottles on the shelf.

Back in late January, one of the sales persons snickered at me when I asked to buy a case of OWA. He said we have TONS of that stuff and asked me if I wanted more. A case was enough for me, but I'd say there is a definite shortage in light of its lack of availability today.

Now, the next question to answer is why is there a shortage? Demand increase? True supply shortage? Artificial shortage?

I can't find Weller 12 here in Los Angeles. I just wanted to try a bottle! I see OWA and Reserve, though they are not common.

Anyone know where I can pick up a W12 or 2 around SoCal? Thanks!

Blatons is the one BT product I've always seen available everywhere..

Blatons is the one BT product I've always seen available everywhere..

.....because it is overpriced at retail

I'm a huge fan of most things BT, but I have to agree. Low to mid 30's might be more fair, IMHO. I'd be more than willing to forgo the holy hand grenade packaging to make up some of the difference.

And frankly I'd be ok with higher prices on other products if it meant more availability like Blantons...

Agreed. I just can't pay $54.99 for a bottle of Blantons since I know how it tastes.

I'll pay that much for a bottle the first time but if the taste doesn't suit me it won't happen again.

Funny, because if you ask a random Kentuckian what a really nice bourbon is, I bet more than 50% would tell you Blanton's.

Funny, because if you ask a random Kentuckian what a really nice bourbon is, I bet more than 50% would tell you Blanton's.

since the random majority of KYans probably dont drink bourbon (the KY population when viewed as a whole across the state), I imagine if you asked a random KYan what a nice bourbon is, theyd pick the only one that pops right into mind....MM.

Most bourbon drinkers that I ask say that Blanton's is nice but overpriced. One friend says that and ETL are his favorites, but with the prices and similarity, he has ETL in the house regularly and practically never a bottle of Blanton's ($30 vs $55)

since the random majority of KYans probably dont drink bourbon (the KY population when viewed as a whole across the state), I imagine if you asked a random KYan what a nice bourbon is, theyd pick the only one that pops right into mind....MM.

Most bourbon drinkers that I ask say that Blanton's is nice but overpriced. One friend says that and ETL are his favorites, but with the prices and similarity, he has ETL in the house regularly and practically never a bottle of Blanton's ($30 vs $55)

You beat me to the punch: Blantons IS a good bourbon but is the bottle design alone worth almost twice the price as ETL? They are essentially the same product.. If ETL cost more, I don't think people would have as much of a problem with the price of Blantons. The spread between the two probably shouldn't be as severe as it is.

Price IS a major consideration. Blanton's currently sells for $38 here - for me it's worth the small premium over ETL.

It will vary greatly depending on where you are in KY. Makers or jack Daniels would be a popular answer outside the state. But blantons, knob creek and woodford reserve would be equally popular inside ky.

I didn't realize it either.

More often than not I see regular ole Kentuckians picking up Woodford when they are getting something "good."

Price IS a major consideration. Blanton's currently sells for $38 here - for me it's worth the small premium over ETL.

Last time I was in HI, everything was like twice the mainland cost.....how does HI get Blantons almost $20 cheaper than the state where it is made? Seems like the overland and oversea shipping would easily double the cost....

It will vary greatly depending on where you are in KY. Makers or jack Daniels would be a popular answer outside the state. But blantons, knob creek and woodford reserve would be equally popular inside ky.

what I was saying is that most KYans don't drink whiskey, when you look at the population as a whole. In which case, you ask what a good bourbon is and all they can think of is what advertising has told them....MM

I think the favoritism for Blanton's comes from it's early reputation as "premium" bourbon. Those of us that are enthusiasts understand the multiple (cheaper) variations available, but I think the packaging and marketing that kicked Blanton's off has stuck over the decades.

I didn't realize it either.

More often than not I see regular ole Kentuckians picking up Woodford when they are getting something "good."

Agreed, either Woodford or Makers 46. Only guys I know who drank Blanton's before I joined SB were high rollers.

Agreed, either Woodford or Makers 46. Only guys I know who drank Blanton's before I joined SB were high rollers.

I love Blanton's and I can't get RHF or ETL where I live so I buy Blanton's. I try to drink it in small amounts at a time.

I've been checking around DC in the past couple of weeks, and the shortage is apparent. There are a few left in inventory in Montgomery County, Maryland, but in DC I have seen only one handle of WSR and no OWA at all. There might be some at places I don't go, simply because the prices bring out my bad side. At any rate, these used to be fairly plentiful up here.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.