Old Weller Antique shortage??

Enoch
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I guess it's time to stock up on the staples. :)

Definitely, I'll grab at least a few bottles of ETL. I've never been a huge fan of BTs other standard offerings outside of the Weller family, but maybe I'll grab an ER and some standard BT as well. EHT small batch and single barrel have been around here but at $45 and $70 it's too much for me. I assume Bowman's would be included I this? I'd probably grab a few of their offerings too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah, they warned us the shortages were coming and they are here. I would stash a bottle or two of their offerings that you like. Availability will become limited and prices will increase. I am trying to add store selections where I can.

Easy solution to all of this . Quit drinking bourbon and go with flavored vodkas. Plenty of that to go around.

Careful man, that stuff will cause you to divorce your wife and buy a little red sports car.

Yeah, they warned us the shortages were coming and they are here. I would stash a bottle or two of their offerings that you like. Availability will become limited and prices will increase. I am trying to add store selections where I can.

A extra bottle or two? Do you really think the shortage is only going to last a couple weeks? :grin:

I just spoke to Buffalo Trace and they said the predicted shortage is in full effect. I was in Binny's Lakeview a few days ago and while I didn't conduct a real survey, they seemed to be out of nearly everything BT, including ETL, BT, Baby Saz, and everything Weller. They did, however, have plenty of VOB and 1792.

Not BT, but I can report that they have plenty of Rittenhouse BIB, and it probably won't last.

Never one to let an impending shortage go to waste, I'll be stopping at a couple places on the way home. In general there's still quite a bit of stock at my usual haunts, but BT and ETL are long gone from one store in particular that usually has a good number of BT products available at any given time.

Shortages are shortages, and can be dealt with accordingly. But, I have to believe that Buffalo Trace views running so low on their namesake bourbon a catastrophic event, that must corrected by any means necessary. Screw every other brand in the portfolio, IOW. Take a hike OC.

Screw every other brand in the portfolio, IOW. Take a hike OC.

at the rate OC is going (several reductions in age lately), in another 2 years or so the bottle will be so young it'll just be corn kernels in it

at the rate OC is going (several reductions in age lately), in another 2 years or so the bottle will be so young it'll just be corn kernels in it

What do you mean by several reductions in age?

What do you mean by several reductions in age?

in the just over a year period ive been into this and paying attention, I saw OC go from 10 to 8, and remember seeing 12 year a few years back and a few still on shelves in my earliest bourbon days just a year and a half ago. It'll be no time before its just #8 Im sure

Shortages are shortages, and can be dealt with accordingly. But, I have to believe that Buffalo Trace views running so low on their namesake bourbon a catastrophic event, that must corrected by any means necessary. Screw every other brand in the portfolio, IOW. Take a hike OC.

I read in one of the blogs recently that there are rumors that BT has been shopping around for bulk bourbon. I believe it was the Bourbon Truth blog. I am not certain of the basis for the rumor nor am I familiar with the blogger so I even hesitate mentioning but it is something to think about. I recall Freddie Johnson mentioning that BT has something like 20 years worth of bourbon aging in their warehouses. Of course, it is of varying ages. I believe he was basing it on their bottling capacity (i.e., at their current capacity, it would take 20 years to bottle what they have barreled.)

Warning: Just read the beginning, this blog entry is long!

http://thebourbontruth.tumblr.com/post/73599035582/home-on-the-raise

Edited by mbroo5880i

in the just over a year period ive been into this and paying attention, I saw OC go from 10 to 8, and remember seeing 12 year a few years back and a few still on shelves in my earliest bourbon days just a year and a half ago. It'll be no time before its just #8 Im sure

Old Charter has not gone from 10yo to 8yo. They were separate labels available concurrently from BT until the 10yo was discontinued.

Old Charter has not gone from 10yo to 8yo. They were separate labels available concurrently from BT until the 10yo was discontinued.

really? never knew that. I noticed 10 on the shelf and 8 at the same time, then the 10 was gone. to my perspective, at least, it looked like the 8 supplanted the 10

In an odd twist on modern trends for many years Old Charter was a 7 year old before it was relabeled as an 8.

Would you be willing to PM me the store you speak of? I moved to St Louis from Austin TX a year ago, OWA was always available there, handles for $45. I have yet to see it in stock in the St Louis metro area. Thanks in advance

Sorry, I just saw this. There does seem to be a minimum post threshold before others can send you PM's. Might I suggest posting in the New to Straightbourbon topic? My usual spots are Randall's and Wine and Cheese Place - Lukas isn't terribly close for me. Randall's was were I had spotted the OWA but they were out the last time I was there. Oddly enough, I happened to be in a store in St. Charles (Lots of Liquor) that had some bottles. As usual, if you go there because you read it here, please be courteous to others and don't clean out their entire stock! If nothing else, the last time I was in Lukas the spirits manager was hoping to get some more at the end of February/sometime in March. He's not getting good info from the distributor, but he's hoping. Lukas and W&C both have decent blogs up and I strongly suspect they'll post when they get more Weller.

(And I hope they do get more W12 soon - I'm running low on THAT after making my latest batch of SB Blend)

-- Ravensfire

Very kind of you to pass that along. For stores close to me I like Friar Tuck's, but no sign of OWA lately. As for cleaning out stock, I have neither the budget or poor etiquette to do such a thing.

:edit: no sign of W12 either and I've done a little exploring, venturing to places such as Starr's and some random stores

Edited by oldnick

I picked up some OWA last month, and that same store was restocked sometime in the last week or two. Happy to see it back on the shelves, but also hope it sells quickly. If the velocity of orders dips, I would hate for it to fall under the axe.

• 2 weeks later...

If any of my old Hoosier friends see Weller being restocked back there, can you let me know? I have a friend in the Bloomington area who's going through withdrawal.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

If any of my old Hoosier friends see Weller being restocked back there, can you let me know? I have a friend in the Bloomington area who's going through withdrawal.

We have some OWA in our stores in IA.

Edited by kwshannon

I have not seen any Weller other than SR for a long time. My past experience is; if it's around, Bloomington's largest liquor store carries it. I'll send a PM if things change, and I see any. I've been enjoying Old Fitz BIB and Makers.

I have not seen any Weller other than SR for a long time. My past experience is; if it's around, Bloomington's largest liquor store carries it. I'll send a PM if things change, and I see any. I've been enjoying Old Fitz BIB and Makers.

Thanks, Paul! Have you seen WSR lately? She said she hasn't been able to find anything.

I can vouch that there are still plenty in the Houston area.

Where can I find them?

Specs is completely depleted of inventory. I bought the last 4 handles the Conroe store had two weeks ago and bought out the last 5 the Joe Blows, now turned Specs, had at 1960 and Stuebner just yesterday. If there are more to be had I'd like to scoop them up.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.