Old Weller Antique shortage??

Enoch
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

If I can't get what I like, I will start liking different stuff. If the stuff I like starts getting too expensive, then I will start liking cheaper stuff. If the cheaper stuff starts tasting like crap, then I will go back to drinking beer. I will pay a fair price for good stuff, if I can't, then I won't pay. It's really no one's fault. It's just the market. Fortunately, I don't think I will run out of reasonably priced and available options.

If I can't get what I like, I will start liking different stuff. If the stuff I like starts getting too expensive, then I will start liking cheaper stuff. If the cheaper stuff starts tasting like crap, then I will go back to drinking beer. I will pay a fair price for good stuff, if I can't, then I won't pay. It's really no one's fault. It's just the market. Fortunately, I don't think I will run out of reasonably priced and available options.

Applause, Applause. That's the perfect way to look at the situation. We have no control over what happens, only how we react to it. It's a tumultuous time in the whiskey business, right now. Just settle in, ride it out, and see where it ends up. Thing is, as you say, one can get off the ride at any time.

:toast:

I just talked with the Sazarac rep and he said he has been told the OWA will be released once a year with reduced allocations compared to previous years. (May be a SC issue.) Too bad as it was my favorite faux Pappy with my many brothers-in-law. They mix everything with Coke and get pissed if I don't bring Pappy.
Haven't seen the brand rep in a while. The distributors sales reps can do nothing but apologize. It's hitting them in the pocket books too.

They are still pushing barrel selections aggressively. They used to claim they would help with pappy/btac and other limited edition allocations. Now all they help with is keeping products on the shelves.

Yeah, it's the same here in AZ. Bummer, cause OWA was a regular in my cabinet.

Eric, I'd definitely appreciate if you update us if you hear anything else about it.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

There does seem to be plenty of stock of OWA in NY/NJ, but I don't want to get caught up in some Weller shortage. So I am well stocked with W12 and OWA (mostly single barrel OWA), such that I can make plenty of SB blend for a long time to come. W12 is much harder to find up here, hence why I stocked up on it a couple of bottles at a time when I could. W12 certainly isn't going to get more plentiful anytime soon.

When I first read this, I posted this link: http://www.superwinewarehouse.com/r/Bourbon/wl-weller-old-weller-antique-original-107-brand-7-year-old.

He promptly ran out. He told me, "No worries, I'll get more." It is back on the shelf. Not sure what the issue is. Don't ya getting the feeling we are

being manipulated to get prices up?

Not available from KY distributor. No ETA.

Another in the long list of out of stock from BT. We used to have an entire section of BT products (5 shelves high by 14 facings wide). It is down to just over half that now.

It makes me wonder why. It seems like even if people bought everything as soon as the stores got it, there would be more in the pipeline, and an ETA. It's very odd.

Interesting how the website is still promoting it as a 7yo. Doesn't know, out of date website that hasn't been corrected or just doesn't care?

Caskers is doing the same thing on their web site, even thought the picture is of the current bottling. BTW, they're sold out and were getting $27.99 for a 750ml. We still have it around here for $19.99.

Interesting how the website is still promoting it as a 7yo. Doesn't know, out of date website that hasn't been corrected or just doesn't care?

I asked him to carry this. I would say the average owner, (and any owners on this board can correct me) looks up the request and orders. He must have gotten that from the source he ordered it from.

I doubt any owner of a large store reads every single bottle. I would guess he just doesn't realize the bottle dropped the age statement and not meant to mislead. I would say this store is very receptive to special requests and does care about his customers more than most.

Ran over to my usual store today and they finally had the shelves restocked with OWA. Looked like about 2 cases on the shelf. No 12 year though. Somehow, a bottle fell into my hand. Funny how that happened!

-- Ravensfire

• 4 weeks later...
Ran over to my usual store today and they finally had the shelves restocked with OWA. Looked like about 2 cases on the shelf.

Would you be willing to PM me the store you speak of? I moved to St Louis from Austin TX a year ago, OWA was always available there, handles for $45. I have yet to see it in stock in the St Louis metro area. Thanks in advance

Would you be willing to PM me the store you speak of? I moved to St Louis from Austin TX a year ago, OWA was always available there, handles for $45. I have yet to see it in stock in the St Louis metro area. Thanks in advance

Even if he's willing to give up his usual haunt, I think you need more posts under your belt before anybody can PM you.

I have one open bottle of both OWA and the 12. Only pouring once a week since resupply in my area isn't scheduled until March and they are about as accurate as the weatherman.

I never see OWA in NJ, but one store I stopped in the other day seemed to have an endless supply. I grabbed a bottle. It was the first time I have seen it in NJ in about 2 years.

Guy at VA ABC told me that distribution center in Richmond has 30 cases on order and can't get a date for when it'll be shipped... sigh.

Even if he's willing to give up his usual haunt, I think you need more posts under your belt before anybody can PM you.

Hmm. I will add if you are in TX, go to Spec's

Went to my normal spot for OW12. It's been out or .75, 1, and 1.75's since the begining of Dec. But they have always had OWA.

Fast forward to yesterday, They now finally have OW12 back in stock 1, and 1.75's but still no .75's... Oddly enough they are now out of OWA.

But I must say this batch of OW12 is fantastic!

Easy solution to all of this . Quit drinking bourbon and go with flavored vodkas. Plenty of that to go around.

Easy solution to all of this . Quit drinking bourbon and go with flavored vodkas. Plenty of that to go around.

Pretty sure i start drinking turpentine before cake batter / cotton candy / salmon or any flavored vodka.

Believe it people. That is advice coming from a man with experience with it... :D

I just spoke to Buffalo Trace and they said the predicted shortage is in full effect. I was in Binny's Lakeview a few days ago and while I didn't conduct a real survey, they seemed to be out of nearly everything BT, including ETL, BT, Baby Saz, and everything Weller. They did, however, have plenty of VOB and 1792.

Not BT, but I can report that they have plenty of Rittenhouse BIB, and it probably won't last.

I just spoke to Buffalo Trace and they said the predicted shortage is in full effect. I was in Binny's Lakeview a few days ago and while I didn't conduct a real survey, they seemed to be out of nearly everything BT, including ETL, BT, Baby Saz, and everything Weller.

all the new upstarts couldnt have picked a better time to start putting out their stuff. People can't get their BT products, they'll of course try something else.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.