Old Weller Antique shortage??

Enoch
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

W12 came and went pretty quickly around here recently. And yeah, at many places the price was closer to thirty bones. Still plenty of OWA and WSR, however!

I was also told at a local store it's the "cheap way to Pappy" to which I went ehhh. But they get one bottle of OWA at a time and no 12 in sight. At this point, I buy any OWA or 12 I see, which has led to a total bunker of 2 OWAs and 0 12s. Even the special reserve is rare now.

It's getting silly that people can't find Van Winkles so supposedly they start hunting Wellers, which are going extinct it seems. Soon we'll be scavenging for Maker's to get a wheater fix

Edited by corpse_welder

I have seen WSR recently at a number of stores around Indy's South side. I would say make a few phone calls before taking a drive up. The price also varies. I think there is even a store in Martinsville that carries WSR.

Sounds like I need to load up the car with OWA and WSR when I go to KY in a couple of weeks.

Sounds like I need to load up the car with OWA and WSR when I go to KY in a couple of weeks.

those are everywhere here, but havent seen any 12 in a while

OWA is available in basically every store I've visited in NC. I've never seen 12 however...

A buddy of mine found a couple 1.75L bottles this week, and I got a call that WSR was in yesterday. This is the first time I've seen either since the summer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WSR sits on the shelves forever around here, while W12 & OWA go really fast. I have learned to stash extra bottles and venture south to the big city in order to maintain my supply.

OWA comes and goes in some stores around Lansing, MI, but generally is in stock. We don't get Weller 12 here. SR is usually on the shelves.

From what I read around here, TX seems to have an unusual amount of dusties of various types too. It makes me wonder. Is it that TX is the big Weller market. Maybe wholesalers and stores had so much inventory to begin with. BT can stop shipping and you guys wouldn't notice for a long time.

Havent seen any Old Weller products on NJ shelves so far. Im hoping to find one just to try it. Will report back after further investigation/store crawls

I can report that I have found OWA in the garden state. I have yet to find it near my area, but Bayway World of Liquors had some OWA on the shelf.

That name "World of Liquors" has a ring to it. It is a nice place to shop.

The other excellent thing I found at Bayway World of Liquors was Private Selections!!!!! Yes!! yes!! They had several products, BT, ER, GD which they had gone and selected their own barrel/batch. I grabbed a private selection ER and a BT.

So yeah, OWA is in NJ at least some what. Next I'll watch to see if I notice any Weller 12 orWilliam Larue Weller on shelves.

Edited by Dannabis

Those of you in NJ, have you tried Canals? I found some OWA there last time I was in NJ. Granted, that was in December, but just throwing it out there.... (The one I went to was in Mays Landing, FWIW.) They didn't have Weller 12, though.

@dcbt: I've been to a couple of Joe Canal's and I've never had a complaint. The craft beer selection varies by store, but always a decent selection available. The whiskey and whisky shelves at Canals have usually been ample in my experience. I didn't notice whether they stock anything Weller.

as far as OP:

Is there an actual shortage?

Edited by Dannabis

Local store just put some Weller 12 on the shelves, no Antique though.

Grabbed two at $24.95 each, a bargain!

I picked up some OWA in NJ.

Got it from the Little Silver Bottle Shop in Little Silver, NJ.

Small selection of bourbons, mostly wine, but they always seem to have OWA.

I've seen some people tweeting and commenting recently on a "perceived" quality issue on some of the newer Weller 12 releases. Anybody having that same issue with Weller 12, or seeing it with OWA?

I've seen some people tweeting and commenting recently on a "perceived" quality issue on some of the newer Weller 12 releases. Anybody having that same issue with Weller 12, or seeing it with OWA?

Hmm. Hardly ever drink these by themselves but when blended they are still tasting great so no perceived quality issue for me at least in the SB Blend form.

Hmm. Hardly ever drink these by themselves but when blended they are still tasting great so no perceived quality issue for me at least in the SB Blend form.

Yeah, ditto. No quality issues in my opinion, and still awesome in the SB blend. Pass W12 up at your own peril. Fortunately I stocked up when I could, as it's gotten even more scarce now in the NY area (never seen W12 in NJ). OWA is still generally available in northern NJ.

Edited by jeffrey r

I was at a warehouse type wine store and on the shelf they have Weller 12 for 20.99 and Weller Antique 107 for 26.99.

I always thought the 12 was more expensive than the 107.

I was at a warehouse type wine store and on the shelf they have Weller 12 for 20.99 and Weller Antique 107 for 26.99.

I always thought the 12 was more expensive than the 107.

I'm no Weller 12 fan, but $21 for a 12 yr age stated bourbon with the love that it has, is absolutely absurd. There is no way that BT should be putting that product on the market where retailers can price it at that. Someone said earlier in one of these threads that they wouldn't mind paying more for some of the BT products in order to increase availability. I agree.

Like you SN, I have always thought that OWA was, and should be, lower priced than the W12. But, maybe proof trumps age in their current pricing models.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.