Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Winter 2013/2014

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Kind of stumbled onto some Cooley cask strength single malt today online (12 and 16yo). Don't know if they will make it in time for St Patty's but I hope so.

Cooley almost never bottled anything under its own name (Tyrconnell is the Cooley single malt) but these are cask strength bottlings from A.D. Rattray that sound interesting. It is not even Cooley anymore. Since Beam bought Cooley they have changed the name of the distillery to Kilbeggan presumably to help bring focus onto that brand,

The only product I have seen put out by Cooley under the Cooley name was the pure pot still poitin (essentially Irish whiskey white dog). It is the only poitin made from a pure pot still mashbill as I understand it but it was a pretty limited run and it isn't clear if Beam Is willing to be as adventurous as Cooley was. I would like to have been able to try it. Maybe Suntory will help loosen things up a bit again!

I purchased a 12 year AD Rattray Cooley when I found it at a Total Wine randomly last year. I have not cracked it yet but am looking forward to it since, as you pointed out, there are not a lot of examples of bottles with "Cooley" written on them out there.

Redbreast CS and Powers John's Lane. Really interested in tasting these SBS (haven't had the PJL) given all the similarities (style, distillery, age, casks).

I picked up a RB 12 in honor of my Irish bloodline.

I would have purchased a Powers as well, but there was none available. Monger said something about some sort of run on, due to a holiday approaching and the like.

Redbreast CS and Powers John's Lane. Really interested in tasting these SBS (haven't had the PJL) given all the similarities (style, distillery, age, casks).

I honestly think you will be shocked how different these two truly are......but in a good way the RB is a fruitbomb and ultra crisp whereas the PJL is a deeper and richer pour and two of my top picks among the Irish examples.I really think that PJL appeals to many bourbon drinkers for this very reason.

Doing a SBS tomorrow night. On paper, they seem to be the same whiskey. Maybe PJL uses more first fill barrels?

A couple of new friends arrived yesterday via a friendly mule from the Party Source! Picked up a Redbreast 21 (tasted and will be discussed a bit in the Wednesday Tastings thread) and this little jewel.

post-8493-14489820604755_thumb.jpg

The 2012 version of the annual unpeated Caol Ila that was aged for 14 years and reportedly spent all that time in ex-sherry casks. As an added bonus it is a cask strength bottle at 118.6 pf!

A couple of new friends arrived yesterday via a friendly mule from the Party Source! Picked up a Redbreast 21 (tasted and will be discussed a bit in the Wednesday Tastings thread) and this little jewel.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17956[/ATTACH]

The 2012 version of the annual unpeated Caol Ila that was aged for 14 years and reportedly spent all that time in ex-sherry casks. As an added bonus it is a cask strength bottle at 118.6 pf!

Nice grabs Bruce!

Bought a TD Phoenix from a store that offered to special order a PJL at cost for me, since no one around here seems to keep it in stock anymore.

gudu5a5u.jpg

Gotta take a break after getting all these. Rough week all around, so I will be opening at least one of these this weekend, probably in the order shown above!

At the opposite end of the spectrum I picked up a bottle of Islay Mist 8 year old for $20. Other than a relatively short finish, it might as well be Laphroaig 10.

gudu5a5u.jpg

Gotta take a break after getting all these. Rough week all around, so I will be opening at least one of these this weekend, probably in the order shown above!

MMMmmmmmortlach...

Nice lineup - the others aren't too shabby either

Edited by ChainWhip

gudu5a5u.jpg

Those bottles in the middle look like they might be just off the boat from K&L! The hard to read 21yo Longmorn in particularly is intriguing. Have the Loch Gorm but haven't gotten to it yet. But did you get the Chieftain's 22yo Mortlach from K&L? Looks different from the one I am familiar with from K&L!

Those bottles in the middle look like they might be just off the boat from K&L! The hard to read 21yo Longmorn in particularly is intriguing. Have the Loch Gorm but haven't gotten to it yet. But did you get the Chieftain's 22yo Mortlach from K&L? Looks different from the one I am familiar with from K&L!

K&L Chieftain's Mortlach 22 is Cask # 5160 while the one in Trey's picture is Cask # 5159... sister casks.

12162009305_07842d65ec_z.jpg

K&L Chieftain's Mortlach 22 is Cask # 5160 while the one in Trey's picture is Cask # 5159... sister casks.

12162009305_07842d65ec_z.jpg

Interesting that the label is so different. Is the one on the right for the European market?

Interesting that the label is so different. Is the one on the right for the European market?

700ml so most likely yes (or other 700ml friendly markets) - it came in a nice box too (a contrast that is not surprising given K&L's recent kerfuffles with boxes)

Edited by ChainWhip

Longrow showed up in a local shop, snagged a Campbeltown Single Malt. Never tried peated Scotch before, and it was reasonable price. What the heck, who not!

The two A.D. Rattray Cooley cask strength single malts made it yesterday just in time for the St Patty's gathering after all. I did manage to get into the 16yo last night at the gathering which was definitely pretty strong but did accept a bit of water nicely to mellow it out a bit. Will need further evaluation.

post-8493-14489820609124_thumb.jpg

I don't think anyone else had the chance to try the Cooley's but not too surprising since there were a fair number or options to choose from!

post-8493-14489820609362_thumb.jpg

Also worth noting that the store that shipped them also sent the tubes and the boxes for a couple of other things I ordered in the same package without comment or additional charge! The bottles were removed and packed separately so everything arrived intact but it was nice to get everything included!

post-8493-14489820609124_thumb.jpg

post-8493-14489820609362_thumb.jpg

My limited scotch selection needed some sherry, so I grabbed my first Aberlour A'bunadh. Had a sip or two last night and really enjoyed it. I've been eyeing Binny's Signatory Mortlach 1990 for a while now, and after reading some of your thoughts, I'm going to go back and grab one.

My limited scotch selection needed some sherry, so I grabbed my first Aberlour A'bunadh. Had a sip or two last night and really enjoyed it. I've been eyeing Binny's Signatory Mortlach 1990 for a while now, and after reading some of your thoughts, I'm going to go back and grab one.

Did you taste that Mortlach? The sherry influence is quite subtle. The distillery character is center stage, but its a much more delicate malt than the sherry bombed A'bunadh.

Did you taste that Mortlach? The sherry influence is quite subtle. The distillery character is center stage, but its a much more delicate malt than the sherry bombed A'bunadh.

I have not tried it. I've read about Mortlach's "meaty" profile, and I want to try it before they change everything. Thanks for the heads up though.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!