Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Winter 2013/2014

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I guess you're referring to the fact that Glendronach was closed between 1996 and May 2002. The 12 yo that has been bottled in the last couple of years has actually been older. Theoretically, starting June this year they will have 12yo whisky that was produced since re-opening. So any 12yo bottled up to that point will be no younger than 17. The 15yo must also be from pre 1996 stock, making it also at least 17yo. The 18's, 21's & single casks are the only current age stated botlings that theoretically don't contain older stock. Having said that, just because the 12 is really 17 doesn't mean it tastes like a 17yo. They are likely using a high proportion of re-fill (or even more tired) casks to make up the 12, more first fill for the 15, and saving the fresher casks for the older expressions.

The good news is that the first three batches of the Cask Strength have been great and likely contain only whisky distilled since the re-opening. Therefore, when the 12 & 15 become really 12&15 again, the quality will likely still be high. What is unknown at the moment is what the distillate made by current ownership (took over in 2008) will be like once it comes of age around 2020.

Great summary, thanks for posting.

Saw a Rosebank 1991 13yo cask strength from G&M today and gave some thought to taking it home. Held off for the moment but might be my best chance to try this distillery for under $100. Although not much under $100 which is a lot for a 13yo. Although it is cask strength which helps!

Anybody tried this one?

Another one that helped contribute to the death of that darned cat.

Finally decided to pick up the G&M Rosebank 13yo CS I saw recently. Got a bit of a deal on it which made it easier.

post-8493-14489820487302_thumb.jpg

The recent Glendronach discussion was rather intriguing...

Great summary, thanks for posting.

From the article Brad posted though, it appears that the Revival will be a 21yr in 2016, the 18yr will actually be a 24yr in 2019, and the Parliament will be a 27yr in 2022.

Yeah, it probably explains why I like the 12 year so much and found it better than the CS batch 3. I was going to compare against the CS batch 2 but that order did not make it through customs and is on it's way back to the UK :(

Since I started this mess, I'm guessing this is directed at me, Johnny? If so, I'll state AGAIN, I am only bemused at the prices that are thrown about on these, and poked a little fun at the discussion on "sales and good deals", and compared it to the multiple price discussions we have had on SB of late. Certainly, that can't be a large problem for you? I never said one shouldn't pay whatever price may be on any of them, I didn't say anyone is wrong for doing so, I didn't throw stones of any kind, and I certainly did not say I wouldn't pay whatever price.

Sheeze, two posts in the Foreign Whiskey section, and I got one guy lookin' at me like I got 7 heads for suggesting he look for a bourbon in Canada, and now feathers flyin' here because I'm just........I'll stay up top.

You sir are just a rabble rouser! Go back to your corn/rye whiskey hiding hole and leave malt to fellas of more sophistication like Bruce and me....awe crap, I can't even type that with a straight face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's a cross to bear, Joe. Malt is a huge world to explore, much much bigger than bourbon, with a high end that bourbon doesn't even approach and probably never will. You can find a sub-$70 bottle of malt that turns out to be a remarkable value when compared to others in its category just like you can find a sub-$25 bottle of bourbon with great QPR. It's a costly game, but you know how we whiskey folks tend to be armed to the teeth with ways of justifying these things...

Sheeze, two posts in the Foreign Whiskey section, and I got one guy lookin' at me like I got 7 heads for suggesting he look for a bourbon in Canada, and now feathers flyin' here because I'm just........I'll stay up top.

Ha, I was mostly joking in my post on the bourbon up north, I tried to convey that in my response to you but It did come off harsher than I meant. Though I did actually think you had 7 heads... ;)

As for the topic at hand, I went ahead and ordered a few bottles of Glendronach 12 (aka 18) to bunker for when the 12 really becomes 12. Next I'll have to hit the 15 and 18 when they are about to hit their actual age statement. Also grabbed a few Bruichladdich Rocks for the bunker.

You sir are just a rabble rouser! Go back to your corn/rye whiskey hiding hole and leave malt to fellas of more sophistication like Bruce and me....awe crap, I can't even type that with a straight face.

And you sir, are a known goat cavorterer...(word? :crazy:)

Joe - I do take issue with the subtle suggestion that discussing malt prices is somehow in bad taste or bragging. It is not. And it's no more offensive than showing pictures of massive bourbon bunkers filled with Pappy/BTAC that cost multiple thousands of dollars to accumulate.

Just to be clear, I in no way, even subtly, suggested that discussing malt prices was somehow in bad taste or bragging. None. At all.

And you sir, are a known goat cavorterer...(word? :crazy:)

No comment......ever

No comment......ever

:D I'm sure we can produce photographic evidence...:lol:

:D I'm sure we can produce photographic evidence...:lol:

Keep talking Joe. You know I'm just down the road! Plus you can't it's me in those pictures. Jimmy's Micky Flynn pyro show screwed up the flash.

Joe - I do take issue with the subtle suggestion that discussing malt prices is somehow in bad taste or bragging. It is not. And it's no more offensive than showing pictures of massive bourbon bunkers filled with Pappy/BTAC that cost multiple thousands of dollars to accumulate.

Not to whack this equine cadaver too much more but I think we have to give credit to Squire for that one. But I am sure he is more than able to bear the responsibility for it! :rolleyes:

I do agree it should not be an issue whether it is bourbon or malt. It just is what it is.

if you, me or anyone else can afford it, who really gives a crap?
Apparently some folks on the Scotch boards do because they make repetitive posts about picking up several bottles at a time of high priced stuff. One gets the impression they enjoy pointing out what they can afford.

In the end, everyone should feel OK about posting bunker pics, talking prices and telling everyone what they purchased on these boards.

I really like Squire's bunker, a nice combo of bourbon and malts. Nice artsy pictures to boot.

In the end, everyone should feel OK about posting bunker pics, talking prices and telling everyone what they purchased on these boards.

I really like Squire's bunker, a nice combo of bourbon and malts. Nice artsy pictures to boot.

Thanks to a generous SB'r, L5 Brown-Forman import Ardbeg 10:

12471849523_a6926d8928_z.jpg

Proof that goodwill and friendship exists on SB in spite of the pettiness that sometimes plagues this place.

I was given a bottle of Aberlour A'Bunadh Batch 41 today.

Powerful dram this one.

Ah, the infamous sulfur batch! As was pointed out to me the "maltheads" rated this one very poorly because of the alleged excess sulfur but I have it and found it to be perfectly delighful. I guess I like sulfur...

http://www.whisky-monitor.com/bottle...Batch+#41'

I guess I like sulfur...

I get some definite sulphur in Batch 46 as well as the newest batch of Springbank 12 Cask Strength. Honestly - I don't mind it at all. I think it adds a certain layer of complexity and it gives it a slightly more brash signature. I didn't even realize I could detect it until I revisited my Black Bull 30 which had a gentle sherry taste to it that didn't give me the same "matchbox" tone.

I get some definite sulphur in Batch 46 as well as the newest batch of Springbank 12 Cask Strength. Honestly - I don't mind it at all. I think it adds a certain layer of complexity and it gives it a slightly more brash signature. I didn't even realize I could detect it until I revisited my Black Bull 30 which had a gentle sherry taste to it that didn't give me the same "matchbox" tone.

How much variation is there with the A'Bunadh batches? I have one from a bit ago (31 or 33, can't remember) and have not tried it yet but have tried a 43 and enjoyed it.

How much variation is there with the A'Bunadh batches? I have one from a bit ago (31 or 33, can't remember) and have not tried it yet but have tried a 43 and enjoyed it.

I have not had that many and nothing earlier than 40 but there appears to be some variation from batch to batch with some thought to be stellar, and a few like 41 that got poor reviews. But I suspect most are somewhere in between and fairly similar.

Grabbed a Redbreast CS and a Tullamore Dew Phoenix. Curious to try the Phoenix as I've read a few good things on SB about it, but may be a little while as there is quite the line of bottles to get to in front of it. Oh, the problems that we bring upon ourselves!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!