Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Winter 2013/2014

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The latest UK order finally made it in, yes!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17893[/ATTACH]

Looks like somebody has the right idea... Well done!

The latest UK order finally made it in, yes!!!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17893[/ATTACH]

I want one of those Nikka from the Barrels!

Had a Battlehill bottling of Imperial 17 Year that was awesome at a tasting last night and picked up a bottle for $100. Also had a very delicate Berry Bros bottling of Linkwood 15 Year that was quite nice.

Had a Battlehill bottling of Imperial 17 Year that was awesome at a tasting last night and picked up a bottle for $100. Also had a very delicate Berry Bros bottling of Linkwood 15 Year that was quite nice.

TotalWine? Do they carry Cadenhead's at your store?

Nothing fancy: Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, Old Pulteney 12 and another bottle of HP12. All super solid and excellent value for what you pay for them.

I want one of those Nikka from the Barrels!

Yeah, I've been wanting to try that for a while so I went ahead and ordered two of them for around $56 shipped each ($47 before shipping). Of course, after I do this I find out that BC liquor stores carry them for $60 and I go that way every year (week after next this year) so I didn't have to waste room in my UK order. Ugh, oh well, I will still enjoy them, even though I know I paid too much and had them shipped too far.

Nothing fancy: Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, Old Pulteney 12 and another bottle of HP12. All super solid and excellent value for what you pay for them.

Was that tasting at the Total Wine along 75 in north Dallas? I stopped by there today and, I think his name was Tom, explained he just had a tasting for his best customers, something like a round table where the Imperial 17 was the talk. After talking with him for a while I ended up getting a bottle of the Arran 16 that the group tasted. I also ended up with a few others from the Specs right down the street. Such a nice selection.

post-9128-14489820557773_thumb.jpg

Picked up a RB21 yesterday. I had inquired about it a couple of months ago and got the call this week. Can't wait to try it since I'm a big fan of the 12, especially the CS.

Was that tasting at the Total Wine along 75 in north Dallas? I stopped by there today and, I think his name was Tom, explained he just had a tasting for his best customers, something like a round table where the Imperial 17 was the talk. After talking with him for a while I ended up getting a bottle of the Arran 16 that the group tasted. I also ended up with a few others from the Specs right down the street. Such a nice selection.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]17904[/ATTACH]

Yes, I was at the Tom's tasting. It was quite good. Let me know what you think of that Arran. I thought it was good but probably the worst of what we tasted (if you can imagine that). You should've gone for one of Arran offerings at Spec's… they looked more interesting. You've got quite a collection there… sounds like a successful hunt. I have the Longrow Runlets & Kilderkins, Springbank 15 is fantastic and took a long look at Companta, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. So much good stuff out there… like those BenRiachs you found. I'm reading good reviews of the Dark Rum finish. Is that the Gaja Borolo or Calvados Expression from Springbank? I've has the latter but expect the former to be better.

Edited by bearmark

Yes, I was at the Tom's tasting. It was quite good. Let me know what you think of that Arran. I thought it was good but probably the worst of what we tasted (if you can imagine that). You should've gone for one of Arran offerings at Spec's… they looked more interesting. You've got quite a collection there… sounds like a successful hunt. I have the Longrow Runlets & Kilderkins, Springbank 15 is fantastic and took a long look at Companta, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. So much good stuff out there… like those BenRiachs you found. I'm reading good reviews of the Dark Rum finish. Is that the Gaja Borolo or Calvados Expression from Springbank? I've has the latter but expect the former to be better.

Dang, the Arran was the worse? Tom poured me a sample and I enjoyed it, but it was all on it's own there. I actually almost went back to TW and returned the Companta and Arran after seeing the Specs collection. I'm still debating driving back out there next week and doing just that, it would open up a few more spots in my checked bag. That is the Calvados bottle, I passed on the Gaja. I had the Gaja, Calvados, and Longrow R & K all in a flight at a Seattle place and loved all 3, but the Calvados was my favorite. If I return the bottles to TW I'll get that Gaja. I'm looking forward to the Springbank 15 CS sherry rechar, it sounded good and I love SB, especially at CS.

You mentioned one of the Arrans at Specs, which one are you referring to? It's about a 25 min one way from where I'm staying out there but my wednesday is looking free. I'm so torn on that Companta... it sounds interesting and the price was certainly better than WA.... Ugh. I am back here in a couple of weeks, but my wallet may not be able to bear the strain of any more.

Good luck with the BenRiachs! That Dark Rum 16 was also the one that caught my eye. I almost jumped on it but those prices... yikes! Specs and TW were a good 20-30% cheaper on similar bottles, and Specs had some of the BenRiach line but not nearly as deep. Oh well...

One could get the impression that you may have a Campbeltown fetish ;)

Between Springbank and Glendronach my whole world has opened... and my wallet emptied :(

Between Springbank and Glendronach my whole world has opened... and my wallet emptied :(

It's funny that was your 411(th) post ;)

That is the Calvados bottle, I passed on the Gaja. I had the Gaja, Calvados, and Longrow R & K all in a flight at a Seattle place and loved all 3, but the Calvados was my favorite. If I return the bottles to TW I'll get that Gaja. I'm looking forward to the Springbank 15 CS sherry rechar, it sounded good and I love SB, especially at CS.

Love the Calvados, though it is a bit pricey. The recharred sherry is something else, it's like two whiskies in one. Looking forward to your thoughts!

Michigan is a state-run over-taxed monopoly state and online liquor orders cannot be shipped here, so I placed an order with a friend who's driving up from TX:

Springbank 15 Yr (can't find anywhere locally)

Laphroaig Quarter Cask ($13 savings)

Aberlour A'bunadh ($14 savings)

Glenmorangie The Original ($15 savings)

Also, Weller 12 year and High West Double Rye.

Michigan is a state-run over-taxed monopoly state and online liquor orders cannot be shipped here, so I placed an order with a friend who's driving up from TX:

Springbank 15 Yr (can't find anywhere locally)

Laphroaig Quarter Cask ($13 savings)

Aberlour A'bunadh ($14 savings)

Glenmorangie The Original ($15 savings)

Also, Weller 12 year and High West Double Rye.

These Texas prices are interesting. A good deal on most things, but on a few WA even has them beat, what the heck!? Though the selection at the Specs I went to was crazy awesome.... I only wish I had brought my extra checked bag. As it is I'm going to struggle to stay below the 50lb mark.

I only wish I had brought my extra checked bag. As it is I'm going to struggle to stay below the 50lb mark.

Luggage is cheap ;)

Dang, the Arran was the worse? Tom poured me a sample and I enjoyed it, but it was all on it's own there. I actually almost went back to TW and returned the Companta and Arran after seeing the Specs collection. I'm still debating driving back out there next week and doing just that, it would open up a few more spots in my checked bag. That is the Calvados bottle, I passed on the Gaja. I had the Gaja, Calvados, and Longrow R & K all in a flight at a Seattle place and loved all 3, but the Calvados was my favorite. If I return the bottles to TW I'll get that Gaja. I'm looking forward to the Springbank 15 CS sherry rechar, it sounded good and I love SB, especially at CS.

You mentioned one of the Arrans at Specs, which one are you referring to? It's about a 25 min one way from where I'm staying out there but my wednesday is looking free. I'm so torn on that Companta... it sounds interesting and the price was certainly better than WA.... Ugh. I am back here in a couple of weeks, but my wallet may not be able to bear the strain of any more.

Good luck with the BenRiachs! That Dark Rum 16 was also the one that caught my eye. I almost jumped on it but those prices... yikes! Specs and TW were a good 20-30% cheaper on similar bottles, and Specs had some of the BenRiach line but not nearly as deep. Oh well...

Regarding the Arran's at Spec's Dallas, I've heard that the 10 Non-Chilfiltered, 14 Amarone finish and the CS store selection (16 year, I think) are all good. I would ask Simon or Sorin for a description and/or recommendation. Also, they have Springbank 12 CS (50.3%), which was Malt Maniacs' Best Natural Casks 2013, and Longrow Red 11 Year Australian Shiraz, which garnered Silver from Malt Maniacs in their 2013 awards.

Regarding the Arran's at Spec's Dallas, I've heard that the 10 Non-Chilfiltered, 14 Amarone finish and the CS store selection (16 year, I think) are all good. I would ask Simon or Sorin for a description and/or recommendation. Also, they have Springbank 12 CS (50.3%), which was Malt Maniacs' Best Natural Casks 2013, and Longrow Red 11 Year Australian Shiraz, which garnered Silver from Malt Maniacs in their 2013 awards.

Hmmm, your making my decisions harder. I could easily swing back over there, return the Companta and Arran, and then grab a few more bottles, like maybe the SB CS 12 and one of their Arrans. Decisions decisions... I have to remind myself that I will be back in a couple of weeks and can return with more bottles then.

Edited by MtnDew

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!