Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Winter 2013/2014

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked these guys up at the launch event for the First Peated bottling. For 26 month old whiskey, they are quite good! I talked with Chris for a bit and he tells me their first single barrel, cask strength release will be soon. They are one of, if not the only, importer of sherry butts in the US and they use those, along with hogsheads, to mature their single malts. I can't wait for a cask strength single cask sherry, especially with another few years on it!

post-9128-14489820544993_thumb.jpg

post-9128-14489820544993_thumb.jpg

Springbank 10 from my honey hole for $53. It's $70 everywhere else, which is ridiculous, even if they do have their own malting floor, etc.

Springbank 10 from my honey hole for $53. It's $70 everywhere else, which is ridiculous, even if they do have their own malting floor, etc.

It's not as ridiculous as, say, Talisker 10, which will be hard pressed to find for < $75 any day now. But $53 is a great price.

I nabbed a pair of Compass Box Great King Street NY Blend after the Binny's get together. I know I'll miss this when it's gone, so a bit of bunker padding was in order.

It's not as ridiculous as, say, Talisker 10, which will be hard pressed to find for < $75 any day now. But $53 is a great price.

I nabbed a pair of Compass Box Great King Street NY Blend after the Binny's get together. I know I'll miss this when it's gone, so a bit of bunker padding was in order.

Talisker 10 @ $75 is a pass. Especially considering my honey hole just discounted the 18 another 5 dollars to $84.99. I've got a bottle of it bunkered, but might have to consider putting another aside in case I want to drink it . . . ever again.

I'm really curious about the NY blend, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Can you think of anything that has a ballpark similar taste profile?

Edited by garbanzobean

Talisker 10 @ $75 is a pass. Especially considering my honey hole just discounted the 18 another 5 dollars to $84.99. I've got a bottle of it bunkered, but might have to consider putting another aside in case I want to drink it . . . ever again.

I'm really curious about the NY blend, but haven't pulled the trigger yet. Can you think of anything that has a ballpark similar taste profile?

Yup on the Talisker 18. It's pretty much gone from Chicago, no doubt to return at around $130 up from $100.

As for a comparison to the NY Blend, I really have nothing to compare it to. Take the Artist's Blend and ramp up the peat in a couple of the single malt components, i.e. multiple shades of peat: some smoke, a little machine oil, some prickly earth. It's dirty but maintains the creamy aspect of the grain whisky. Singular stuff.

Also, been awhile since I've had it, so these notes are from memory.

The mouthfeel on the NY blend is great, too. Shame it was a one off release, otherwise it'd be my go to everyday peated whiskey.

Got in a couple of bunker stocking orders.

6 x Glendronach 12

2 x Bruichladdich Rocks

2 x JW Green Label 1L

I have 2 laddie 10's on the way, then I should be good for expressions that are disappearing or becoming "younger" in the near future.

Grabbed an Ardbeg Corryvreckan and a Powers Johns Lane. Read some old stuff on here abour the Corryvreckan and was persuaded when I saw it for $80 (at least $95 everywhere else I saw, and cheaper than Oogy). Is Corryvreckan an ongoing release? Just don't see it very much.

Edited by horn1602
Spelling....

Corryvreckan should be a regular NAS release (along w/ the Uigeadail). The 10 is the only other one available and according to Dr. Bill Lumsden, there are no plans to revive a 17yr expression.

Don't post in this thread because I don't drink much Scotch/Irish, but after tasting a pour in a bar a few weeks ago, I brought home an Aberlour A'bunadh Batch 39 today. I enjoyed the bar pour quite a lot, and it seems to maybe fit nicely as an after dinner dram.

Just got some amazing news: after a round of chemo, my mother's pancreatic cancer has become operable (was not the case in October). As a result, I picked up a bottle of Scott's Selection Highland Park 1986 that I've been eyeing for awhile. Will be cracking it open momentarily. If I didn't have an important presentation to give at work tomorrow, tonight would be one of those rare nights where I tie one on.

Great news and I wish you both well,it is a terrible disease but also very beatable and I am proud to say that my wife is 7 years and counting cancer free.

Great news and I wish you both well,it is a terrible disease but also very beatable and I am proud to say that my wife is 7 years and counting cancer free.
Thanks for the encouragement everyone! Also, hats off to your wife for beating this awful disease.

Awesome news about being cancer free. Keep fighting, praying and doing everything you can. Let's all celebrate awesome news like this together with good drams and positive thoughts. News like that makes my night even better.

Let's all celebrate awesome news like this together with good drams and positive thoughts. News like that makes my night even better.

Hear here! Great news like this is always worthy of acknowledgment. Cheers Garbanzo!!

I hope the Highland Park is as good as the news you got!

Grabbed a BenRiach 19yr peated/PX.

Sounds like an interesting dram. I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts. Or anyone else's thoughts on BenRiach. I always consider it, but never pull the trigger.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!