Which Water of Life Did You Purchase Today - Winter 2013/2014

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Grabbed a Redbreast CS and a Tullamore Dew Phoenix. Curious to try the Phoenix as I've read a few good things on SB about it, but may be a little while as there is quite the line of bottles to get to in front of it. Oh, the problems that we bring upon ourselves!

First world problems! Speaking of those, my order of GD 12 arrives tomorrow. Might need to make another order for some GD 15...

Stumbled on a bottle of Macallan CS and put it away. Gotta do a flight soon of 12, 18, CS, and Select Oak soon. FYI, I found this bottle in a Publix liquor store in south Florida.

Edited by BoyScout

Stumbled on a bottle of Macallan CS and put it away.

Wish I could find a Mac CS. Forgot bourbon dusty's - I should start hunting sherried dusty's! [but seriously, no way in hell there's any of that still around Chicago]

I've passed up on Mac CS multiple times, guess I should have grabbed a bottle or two.

There's a few close to you ;)

Is Mac CS dusty?
I think it is - but may make a return in some form if I remember correctly.

I wasn't into single malts at all when it was available, but I've been told it disappeared from Chicagoland sometime last year (late summer/early fall I think). Pretty much a dusty here now.

I think it is - but may make a return in some form if I remember correctly.
How does it compare to other CS sherry bombs? I know of a bottle or two sitting around on shelves, but I've avoided them thus far due to my mixed feelings for the 12: decent but kind of boring.

How does it compare to other CS sherry bombs? I know of a bottle or two sitting around on shelves, but I've avoided them thus far due to my mixed feelings for the 12: decent but kind of boring.
Edited by ChainWhip

Haven't had the Mac CS in a few years, but last bottle I went through bored me a little. Seemed pretty one dimensional. I guessed that's the reason I've never tried the A'bunadh either.

Want to get a sherried scotch, but I want something elegant and delicious. Some options I saw at the local bevmo:

Glenfarclas 12 ($45)

Glenfarclas 17 ($106)

Glendronach 15 (96)

Tomatin 18 ($55)

They also have A'bunadh (batch 46) and Glenfarclas 105 CS, but I was afraid they would just repeat my Mac CS experience. Thoughts?

Haven't had the Mac CS in a few years, but last bottle I went through bored me a little. Seemed pretty one dimensional. I guessed that's the reason I've never tried the A'bunadh either.

Want to get a sherried scotch, but I want something elegant and delicious. Some options I saw at the local bevmo:

Glenfarclas 12 ($45)

Glenfarclas 17 ($106)

Glendronach 15 (96)

Tomatin 18 ($55)

They also have A'bunadh (batch 46) and Glenfarclas 105 CS, but I was afraid they would just repeat my Mac CS experience. Thoughts?

Glenfarclas 12 ($45)

Glenfarclas 17 ($106)

Glendronach 15 (96)

Tomatin 18 ($55)

IMO, the Glendronach 15 is the pick of the bunch, followed by the a'bunadh.

Many a sample of life water today. I like this concept.

post-10579-14489820529299_thumb.jpg

These are birth year drams and will be saved for a while. That Bunny is practically the same color as the wax.

post-10579-14489820529711_thumb.jpg

post-10579-14489820530083_thumb.jpg

Testing that Lag 12 before I decide to buy a whole bottle.

post-10579-1448982053049_thumb.jpg

I got ahold of a Glenmo Companata for $90 last night on the way to the gem. Also restocked a Redbreast Cask Strength.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sun is out and the sky is blue. The friendly bike messenger dropped off three bottles this morning:

Ardbeg 10

Ardbeg Corryvreckan

Ardbeg Uigeadail

Never had the 10 or the Corry and looking forward to both. The Oogie is a favorite.

The peat is strong with this one...

I had a similar path. I liked my first taste of Uigeadail so much that I went out and bought 5 different Ardbegs that week.

The sun is out and the sky is blue. The friendly bike messenger dropped off three bottles this morning:

Ardbeg 10

Ardbeg Corryvreckan

Ardbeg Uigeadail

Never had the 10 or the Corry and looking forward to both. The Oogie is a favorite.

Ardbeg 10 is a classic. Absolutely love it. The Corryvreckan is, in my (probably minority) opinion, a tastier buy than the Uigeadail. It has a lot of really interesting flavors going on that I haven't found in other peated whiskies--tons of fruit and dark, chewy chocolate and coffee.

Glenfarclas 12 ($45)

Glenfarclas 17 ($106)

Glendronach 15 (96)

Tomatin 18 ($55)

Glendronach 15 Revival, A'Bunadh (I've had 42 & 43) and Glenfarclas 105 are great. I'd probably go for the Revival first. I also agree that MacAllan CS is uninteresting.

Finally decided to take the plunge and picked up a Yamazaki 18 I have been eyeing for quite some time. I can't wait to try it and compare it to the 12.

I love the Yamazaki 12. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts about the 18yr.

I picked up a bottle of Lagavulin 16 year today.

Ardbeg 10. All the talk here pushed me to actually try it, after starting with Uigeadail. I like it very much: it has a light peat (compared to Uigeadail or Laphroaig) and nice mild sweetness to balance it. It is fun to see where the base peat and sweetness notes come from in the Uigeadail. Having tried a few variations and met Dr. Bill Lumsden, I have to say I am very impressed with the Glenmorangie/Ardbeg products.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!