What's your consumption?

Oboe Cadobro
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I drink quite a bit of wine, along with various spirits including scotch, cognac, sipping rum, gin, Spanish Brandy, and Calvados, so I estimate my Bourbon consumption to be less than one bottle per month.

I recently took stock of my Bourbon collection and found 40+ unopened bottles of RR101, WLW, McKenna BIB, ETL private barrel selection, Pappy 15, Eagle Rare 17, Jefferson 18, EH Taylor, Weller 12, plus a few stragglers along with the 11 opened bottles I have....and I'm wondering why I'm so interested in Bourbon since I have enough to last for more than 4 years at current consumption rates. :confused:

I'm thinking that more than a few of you rabid Bourbon suckers must be going though 2-3 bottles a month or more....so fess up...what's yer Bourbon consumption rate? :cool:

For planning purposes, I typically estimate about 1 bottle a month. I currently have 60 open bottles (750s or larger) and more than a dozen smaller/open bottles (not to mention unopened bottles!). I like variety and want to try everything. What I learned in the last two years is I can't afford to try everything :lol: There are months where I may go through 30+ oz, but there are months (like this one) where a cold or some such thing limits me to maybe 10 oz a month.

My current estimate is I could never buy another bottle, and continue at the current pace for a little over 7 years before running dry.

I'm not as much a planner and analyzer as my son (darylld)... I'm too lazy.

I think I probably have about as much, and drink it more slowly on average than he does; but I guess that I consume a bit under 3/4 of a 750 bottle a month. What are your current favorite pours, Oboe?

I keep about 15-20 open (that's all I can fit on my shelf!) and another 8-10 unopened in reserve. But I "only" go through 1-2 bottles a month I'd say. I'll start with a pour of a single barrel and then have a pour or two of an everyday bottle, and try to limit my consumption to weekends. I save the rare stuff for special occasions only (or at least try to!)

Yikes I have a feeling this thread is going to make me feel pretty bad about myself. I have about 25 bottles open and another 15-20 unopened. I would say that I go through about 3/4 of a 750 per week. For a while there it was about 1-1.5 bottles per week but I am trying to "slow down". Ok let me hear all of your comments about my liver...

Gonna make you feel a little better ggg, I go through 1 - 2 750's per week.

At my age I think I've earned the right to enjoy what I enjoy, when I enjoy it.

It also helps that MrsTT doesn't object.

Wow, I've been pondering the question for a while, and it's really hard to tell. Since I've become an, uh, enthusisast (that's what I'm calling it these days), I've been acquiring bottles at a far more prodigious rate than I've consuming them, and I've got at least 25-30 bottles open at this time. So I don't polish off that many as I spread my attention around. In the last year I've actually finished 7-8 bottles, but a couple I had already been working on for awhile, one was largely consumed by my poker buddies, etc. I also don't drink much, if at all, during the week (although that can vary as well).

All that said . . . likely at least the equivalent of a 750 a month. And I may be fooling myself there, but if that estimate is accurate, I could not buy another bottle and go at least 5 years without running out. I'm not sure what that tells me about myself, but I suppose if I got reflective, I could come up with something.

About 1 750 a week when only drinking bourbon, less if I mix in some wine or beer. I also share a fair amount of whiskey with friends. I have at least a 3 year supply if I don't buy another bottle. I keep about 30 open bottles and tend to mix them up unless working one down to make space.

about an ounce a day, so maybe a 750 a month. I have enough for 2 years on hand at that rate.

I probably drink about two 750s per month (maybe three in certain months) but I exclusively drink bourbon. I have all but given up on drinking beer or other liquors (rum mostly).

My rate of consumption varies depending on the time of year. I drink less during the spring and fall during soccer season, and more during the summer (parties) and winter (parties and cold). I also drink very little during the week. When I do drink, it can be as little as an ounce, or two to three (2-3 oz. pours). I went through 14 bottles in 2014 and the equivalent of another 7 bottles (still open but not emptied). I probably gave away the equivalent of 1 1/2 bottles to friends who had a favorite so I let them take the rest home, plus I had several gatherings where a fair amount were drank. So, my consumption was roughly around a one liter per month. However, that may have been at a rate of 1 to 6 ounces per sitting or an occasional 9 ounces. :grin: Of course, the other factor is proof. Most of my bottles fall between 86 and 100 proof, with a few barrel strength bottles mixed in.

Much like Renegator, I exclusively drink bourbon. I rarely drink beer or other liquor.

I currently have 24 open bottles and 7 unopen bottles which equal about 24 bottles total. So, that makes about a 2 year supply.

Edited by mbroo5880i

1-2 bottles a month. My bunker is not as large; maybe a years worth of bourbon and scotch give or take.

I drink about 1 750ml bottle per month of Bourbon and about 1 bottle of port/wine per week. Trying to stay within the recommended 2 "drinks" per day for men.

About 750ml a week. 1-2 pours a night and maybe 1-2 more than that on weekends. I have maybe 5-6 bottles open with the bunker growing constantly.

What are your current favorite pours, Oboe?

I got a bottle of OFBB as a birthday gift last year, and I friggin LOVE that bourbon! I'm generally into wheaters and I also really enjoy the EH Taylor Small Batch. I also have a few bottles left of ETL that a local vendor sold after going to Kentucky 5-6 years ago, picking out a barrel, and having the whole thing bottled for him...best ETL I've tasted and I bought a case. I have an open bottle of the Pappy 13 Family Rye that I'm nursing since I know I'll get no more....keeping it under nitrogen when not being tasted.

I also am a fan of Manhattans and Old Fashioneds....for the former I like a vatting of WT101 and ER10, and for the latter I enjoy WLW since I water it down with some soda.

210 views, and only 15 replies? :skep:

Come on....Fess Up! (I need to feel better about myself...) :lol:

Not so much as many would think. Three 1.5 oz pours on porch nights (twice a week) .. and then short "nosing/tasting" pours a couple of other nights .. and then it's just one or two 1 oz pours. I'm much more into tasting and discovering bourbons than into drinking it. On get together with the guys events .. that could be more .. but I tend to hold it to one 1.5 oz pour per hour. I've adopted no drink days on Tues/Thurs/& one weekend day and usually stick to that. Nothing's a hard, fast rule as conviviality (and common sense) rules!

Fess up? I don't wanna play. Even BHOFs can get embarrassed. BUT -

At 25.4 oz. per 750ml bottle, one can get 12 hefty pours per bottle. At two pours per day, that's two drinks per 24 hours or one bottle every six days, give or take. That's 5 bottles per 30 days or 60 bottles per year. Assuming no sharing, of course.

I can live with that.

A bald-headed old faht reveals hisself.

Edited by Harry in WashDC

I'll go with Harry's math, but change it to 13 approximately 2oz pours a bottle. At that rate I probably consume 1.5-2 bottles a month.

210 views, and only 15 replies? :skep:

Come on....Fess Up! (I need to feel better about myself...) :lol:

Well, if you practice what doctors and nurses do when they ask you how much you drink, just double what everybody says and that should make you feel better. :cool:

Upon further reflection, I'll modify my answer. Still hard to tell because I'm not finishing that many bottles on a regular basis (if I was only buying a new bottle when I finished another one and threw one away every time the recycling went to the curb it would be lot easier to tell), but it's probably closer to two 750's a month. Of bourbon and rye. Consumed by me. From my own collection.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.