Booker's 25th Anniversary

AaronWF
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I know where there is one (1) for $200, box included.

Doing a SBS with the young and the old(regular bookers 7yr,4mo,the old 25th 10yr. 3mo.)The young has a much more sweeter taste to me,noses are familiar,but way more wood or rackhouse as I like to call it.(I became more politically correct,used to call it rickhouse). Only about a 1% difference in proof.I think the older has more flavor than the younger,a bit of water added to both and they both open up a bit more, now I did a small vat of both,and whalla a whole nother animal! Nose changes immediately,not bad but still enjoy these 2 as seperates.

I paid 100 bux for a bottle, figuring the reported additional age would deepen an already very nice pour.

Either my bottle was an aberration, or that hasn't happened. :skep:

It was little different (other than nearly double the price) from regular Booker's. :rolleyes:

Maybe a bit harsher, and hotter; just the barest hint of additional char. :bigeyes:

I'll bring it down to the Gazebo in a week and a half, maybe others will find something in it that I can't...?

I just found another bottle of this and plan to give it an opening tonight. It will get tasted, with the idea of improvement down the line as it gets some air time.

Cheers

I love the Bookers 25th. Reminds me of the very early releases of Bookers. I'm about finished with my 1st bottle; good thing I have 8 more in the bunker.

I love the Bookers 25th. Reminds me of the very early releases of Bookers. I'm about finished with my 1st bottle; good thing I have 8 more in the bunker.

Sounds like you're ready for Bourbongeddon!

I tasted this Booker's 25th last night alongside some GTS 128.2, WLW 123.4, and CEH Taylor 134.5 and it sure is quite good. I tasted them all neat first with some water back, then with a few drops of water added to each. The bottle will need more time to open up, but it's unique and very tasty- Showing to my palate great pedigree with a balance, smoothness and flavors of rye spices/ cinnamon, some maple/vanilla and oak char, and a hint of candied yam. Right now showing drier than the Weller and Stagg.

I'd say it's right up there with the best of the BTAC releases. The CEHT was definitely out of the running in this crowd. The Bookers did share some similar flavor profiles with the Taylor- however it went steps further in smooth full bodied richness of flavors, while drinking seemingly under it's 130.8 proof (at least compared to the heat of the Taylor)

Cheers,

RW

Edited by RWBadley

I just open one up and first sip neat was wow, I like this. It's has a sweet profile and enough wood which I like as well. All are quite balance and complex. I don't like the normal one but this I actually like from the get go. I wonder as it open up how much more would I like this. This is a surprise as I was fearing I won't like it at all.

Drinking it now with some melted ice

Cheers

e8uzy4as.jpg

I have one at home, sitting on the shelf for a few weeks. Ran into 3 bottles yesterday that will run just under $100 out the door with tax. No Bookerism info, I would consider picking one up tomorrow for local trade.

Edited by Infidel

Having an early pour and reached for a nice pour of Booker's 25th. This is yummy. Really liking this and drinking it daily now. Nice nose, thick mouthfeel and complex flavor, long finish and balance.

Questions for folks. The display case is nice but such a hassle. You have to pull the leather strap, lift the front screen, detach the bottle from the back plastic holding attachment before you can pull the bottle to uncork and pour. Hahaha. I may have to leave the box in the garage instead.

Early release means the Booker's private ones with the brown wax? Or after that for the commercial which also is very special? Those were supposed to be real honey barrel and superb. If this reminds of those, it is saying a lot and glad to hear.

Thanks

I had a pour of this last night side by side with a regular Booker's and was left with a little bit of a mixed impression. You can tell for sure that the 25 has more age, the color is darker, there is more barrel char evident and the candied nature of the fruits is more prominent. That said, the pour underwhelmed a little bit for a premium as it just lacked a bit of the wow factor. I will come back to this one in a bit. Might put it side by side with CEHT BP and and 11 Year WFE to see how it fares.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked up a couple of these for myself and am giving one to my cousin in exchange for 2 bottles of 120 proof 11+ year old four roses single barrel that was a private selection at a store in Kentucky from a couple years ago. I absolutely loved the combination of heat and flavor this bourbon provided. This bookers 25th really found the sweet spot and am looking to enjoy some more.

Hmmm...Quote #24 seems to be missing from the "complete" list on the bourbonr site.

I have a 24

“This is the ultimate bourbon And when I get through with you, you’re are going to agree with meâ€

post-8239-14489820830702_thumb.jpg

I have a 24

“This is the ultimate bourbon And when I get through with you, you’re are going to agree with meâ€

Considering that it is not the ultimate bourbon this sounds kind of threatening.

So much for keeping a bottle of Bookers 25th anniversary for the 50th anniversary to compare. I can only imagine how the corks will crumble in about five years.

Once I pulled the broken cork out I poured the Bookers into a trusty screw cap Bottle.

Damn corks!!!! :hot:

post-9285-14489820857587_thumb.jpg

post-9285-14489820858147_thumb.jpg

post-9285-14489820857587_thumb.jpg

post-9285-14489820858147_thumb.jpg

So, Whiskey Advocate put Booker's 25th at the top of their Summer 2014 shopping list (FWIW).

I do like it, but there's several that would knock it out of my top ten.

So, Whiskey Advocate put Booker's 25th at the top of their Summer 2014 shopping list (FWIW).

I do like it, but there's several that would knock it out of my top ten.

Do you think there will be any of it still on the shelf by Summer?

96 points on the 80-100 scale. Must be some absolutely incredible stuff, except when you do the math it's really 16 out of 20 which is B- work. I'm so confused . . .

96 points on the 80-100 scale. Must be some absolutely incredible stuff, except when you do the math it's really 16 out of 20 which is B- work. I'm so confused . . .
Unless the folks at whisky advocate have changed their grading system recently, they grade 60-100 (I assume they refuse to review anything below 60, but could easily be wrong). While I admit that a grade below 80 isn't super common, there are plenty of reviews in their archive in the 70s, and even a few 60s. So if you want to consider it out of 40, then it's a 90%, but it would probably be better to follow their actual ratings guide:

• Rating Scheme
    95-100
    A classic! All components are balanced appropriately, with the complexity and character expected in a classic.
    90-94
    Outstanding! One of the best for its style. Distinctive.
    80-89
    Good to very good. Plenty of character and no identifiable flaws. Worth seeking out.
    70-79
    Average. No unique qualities. Flaws possible.
    60-69
    Below average. Major flaws. Avoid.

(Source: http://whiskyadvocate.com/buying-guide/)

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.