What Bourbon Are You Drinking - Spring 2014

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had barbecue for dinner tonight and needed something strong to follow that could stand up to the smoke and spice from dinner. Old man Stagg was just the right pour to handle the task.

I know that '13 Stagg is not as highly regarded as previous years, but I like it just fine.

I've been doing a lot of blind side by sides recently and tonight I had some surprising results with Willett pot still being more enjoyable than Elijah Craig 12 and Fighting Cock beating out Buffalo Trace. Bourbon is a strange beast

Larceny tonight.

Last night? CEHT BP, I.W. Harper 15yo, ETL 15yo, V23 rye, AHH16, '07 PVW15 and A.Bowman BP Rye.

How do they compare side by side?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Definitely a resemblance on the nose. OCPR*nose is stronger (not sure how to describe the qualities). Barterhouse taste is more my style- definitely heavier than OCPR. More wood, more vanilla. With that being said, I would consider both to be very light bourbons.

Was out having dinner with wife at a new restaurant last night. This restaurant has a full bar and a full 2012 and 2013 BTAC lineup. After deliberating on which pour to get, I settled on a pour of WLW2012 for $20. Started out sweet and flavorful but hot. Halfway through, added a few drops of water which toned down the heat and really opened the pour up! It was enjoyable. post-10035-14489820626525_thumb.jpg

Was out having dinner with wife at a new restaurant last night. This restaurant has a full bar and a full 2012 and 2013 BTAC lineup. After deliberating on which pour to get, I settled on a pour of WLW2012 for $20. Started out sweet and flavorful but hot. Halfway through, added a few drops of water which toned down the heat and really opened the pour up! It was enjoyable. [ATTACH]18015[/ATTACH]

Nice, and all in all, a pretty good price. Of the 3 barrel proofers in the BTAC lineup, I have always found that the WLW is the one that I need to add a touch of water to every time, in order to cool it off. I don't always feel the need to do the same to the Stagg and Handy. Regardless, the WLW is a wonderful pour, and my need to add water is not a knock against it in any way.

Nice, and all in all, a pretty good price. Of the 3 barrel proofers in the BTAC lineup, I have always found that the WLW is the one that I need to add a touch of water to every time, in order to cool it off. I don't always feel the need to do the same to the Stagg and Handy. Regardless, the WLW is a wonderful pour, and my need to add water is not a knock against it in any way.

I agree. The price I thought was reasonable. All the 2012s were $20/pour and the 2013s were $18/pour. Too bad the food there was not that great. I would be sampling the others if we do go back there.

I'm having a small vatting of FRSB OBSO, OESK and OBSV while watching basketball.

I'm having a small vatting of FRSB OBSO, OESK and OBSV while watching basketball.

It is so much fun to mix all the great Four Roses, always seems to turn out well.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Right you are, Tony! I enjoy playing around with the GS private selections, vatting the V's and the K's together, with a splash of O yeast. I think this recent vatting is better than the SB's on their own. But you can't go wrong, it's all good! :grin:

Did a little blind sbs with OWA and ORVW10/107 - and was surprised by the results. Fairly similar, but found I preferred OWA by a nose (and guessed it to be ORVW10/107!). I thought it had a better balance between the wood and the sweet notes (picking up caramel apples, something I don't recall before), but also the nose seemed to be richer.

ETL last night. Good but could swear it would be interchangeable with Blanton's or AAA10yr. I should do a blind.

Some Eagle Rare while watching Stanford finish off Kansas

Some Eagle Rare while watching Stanford finish off Kansas

10 or 17?

ETL last night. Good but could swear it would be interchangeable with Blanton's or AAA10yr. I should do a blind.

Just wait until the ETL commemmorative that will be 93 proof (same as Blantons)... Then they'll really be indistinguishable...

Anniversary weekend with Mrs. dcbt. Had some PVW 20 Friday night, then W12. Last night had some Blantons at a nice steakhouse. Good weekend.

Nothing yet, but since UK just beat Wichita State, I'm heading to the bunker for something good!!:cool:

Nothing yet, but since UK just beat Wichita State, I'm heading to the bunker for something good!!:cool:

It was a great game. I am working on simple tonight. Started with EC12 (store select). Simple but very good. I was planning to hit a BT/Stagg Jr. blend next but this EC12 is so good. I think I will stick with Heaven Hill tonight.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!