What Bourbon Are You Drinking - Spring 2014

jcg9779
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I still have some of my vatting of Old Rip Van Winkle 10/107 (3X) and 2013 WLarueW (2X), neat of course.

Started out with a small pour of a new blend I'm working on. It's a vatting of Larceny and MM. Might have to tweak it some. I'll let it sit for a while and see what happens.

After the blend, I had a pour of BT. Man oh man! :bigeyes: It sure seems like every bottle of BT I open is just a bit better than the one before. It's tasting really good tonight.:yum:

Cheers! Joe

Me too. My first pour ever of the stuff. And my second. And third.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

It's extremely underrated. My second pour of the night was OFBB '13. Really enjoying it with a bit of water tonight.

VSOF in the hotel both before and after dinner. Not quite up to the W12 IMO, but still a solid pour nonetheless.

It's extremely underrated. My second pour of the night was OFBB '13. Really enjoying it with a bit of water tonight.

I know some people criticized the PH PoH for being $90 McKenna. And I see the similarities, but disagree with the conclusion.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Stagg Jr. as I can't get my hands on the Sr. 15 y/o. Had a surprising experience here in Upstate

NY at a Restaurant bar Pappy Van Winkle 15 year standing there among less distinguished bourbons and not counting a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue scotch . $12 a shot. As sometime happens with a young bartender not usually with good stuff I got at a healthy double shot. First and likely last taste of any Van Winkle product. Well worth $12.00, but not up to Stagg IMO. The Stagg kick is like the roar of a Harley Davidson engine: Bold, distinctive,

unique, unabashedly in your face and a throw down for everyone else. Of course, there remain the more aged Pappys which I will never taste. At this point, Stagg sets the bar for me.

Edited by Dwt

Had some just bought RHF a couple nights ago, it was gone from the shelves for about 6 months before. Tonight I started with a small RHF, then switched to my blend of OFS100, Stagg Jr. and 4RYL. After a couple of those I'm now enjoying a 2012 TH Handy with a splash of Jefferson's 10 yo rye to cool it down . . . really good!

Though Stagg is what got me started in this hobby a little more than a year ago, Makers Mark was my first and only bourbon for a long period of time. I decided to revisit it via the sample size tonight for the first time since I started branching out. I now recognize the wheated nose on it and enjoy that nose. I actually like it more than I thought I would, though it certainly pales in comparison to the Weller offerings I now prefer. I agree with others who have said that it would be a lot better with more age and proof. I'm happy to have tried it, but don't need to buy a bottle just yet. I have many more bottom and mid shelf offerings to work my way through.

Followed up the Makers with a 60:40 SB blend. SB blend wins by a very solid margin.

Followed up the Makers with a 60:40 SB blend. SB blend wins by a very solid margin.

Maybe give M46 a shot. Its a totally different pour than the standard. The staves give it a much more aged profile.

Having some W12 with my cousin who has only ever had MM. Thought I would introduce him a different kind of wheater. So far so good. :-)

A week from April and it's snowing to beat the band. Settling in at home w some V17 and lining up a stout next.

VOB BIB 6 yr (I guess you have to be specific, now) over a couple of cubes. There is something comforting to me in the sounds of ice cubes kinkling together in a glass of whiskey, when I reflect and decompress with it after a productive day.

Some CETH neat, it was snowing so hard on the way home from work that I thought I was in a blizzard.

Enjoying a sample of WT CGF 12yr from a friend and catching up on my favorite Japanese reality show.

Same here Squire. Sipping on some OGD114 with a couple small cubes of ice just to change it up a little.

EWBIB over a few cubes. I like it. A lot. I am terrible at nuances and proper terminology but to me, this product tastes like bourbon should taste. I have a few BTAC's, Van Winkle's, and PHC's stashed and I truly like them, but I have to tell you that my heart does not belong to those top shelfers. Those high enders taste incredible but, they are not 5 times better than Evan White. Not even close

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!