What bourbon did you pass up today? Spring/Summer 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

While picking up a Weller SR (and a VOB BIB "6" NAS which was an orphan and I felt bad for it), I saw but didn't buy a Jeff Ocean II. It looked really good behind the locked cabinet door.

Think I'll use the money I saved by skipping it to pick up several OGD BIB 750's @ $15 plus tax. It's what I was looking for when I saw the WSR & VOB (they were out of OGD and I couldn't leave without SOMEthing).

I saw a WT decanter that had 8y bourbon in it. The neck of the log was taped where you pour the bourbon out.

They wanted..........hold it................hold it................$900.00.

Passed on 4-5 of the new Abraham Bowman double bourbon barrel what have you. $69+tax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm starting to think that must be a new Federal regulation that all "craft" bourbon, rye, and/or whiskey must have a starting price point of $50 and in addition must be prominently shown eye ball level, mid-shelf minimum.

Passed on a Jeff's Ocean...just heard too many ho hum reviews and they wanted like 80 bones...no thanks.

Passed up a Bookers 25th. I want to try it but just can't get excited about the price point for what you get. And considering I walked out with a Four Roses Private Selection, barrel strength that was half the cost, I really didn't have to think too hard about passing up the Bookers.

I passed by everything today, they started some major construction and closed the highway that leads to one of my regular liquor mongers, will have to seek him out this week as he is going to be hurting with the highway shutdown.

Best regards, Tony

Passed on the entire Van Winkle line and a GTS, which were all being stored on their side. Cork rot probably won't help sell those bottles.

PVW23 for $1,124.99

PVW20 for $679.99

PVW15 for $499.99

Lot B for $269.99

ORVW10 for $249.99

GTS for $199.99

post-10798-14489820728377_thumb.jpg

post-10798-14489820727284_thumb.jpg

post-10798-14489820727826_thumb.jpg

Passed on the entire Van Winkle line and a GTS, which were all being stored on their side. Cork rot probably won't help sell those bottles.

PVW23 for $1,124.99

PVW20 for $679.99

PVW15 for $499.99

Lot B for $269.99

ORVW10 for $249.99

GTS for $199.99

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18136[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18137[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18138[/ATTACH]

OMG! Forget the price, that is such a shame to treat our hobby that way. Just no respect.

Hidden

First time I've seen Cody Rd and Stetson and I nnever purchase anymore before I've researched or asked about it here.

Sorry for the blurry, maybe and omen?

post-10133-14489820730069_thumb.jpg

post-10133-14489820729507_thumb.jpg

Please post a picture in a couple of months when there is brown staining on their red velvet display when those corks leak, I will enjoy laughing at the shop owner.

On a side note, I passed on some Ocean, some Mitchers 10 and a bottle of the Beam SB. All priced at their normal retail prices, just little interest in them.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18136[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18137[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]18138[/ATTACH]

wow. just wow........

Methinks I can load it right this time. Anywho passed on Stetson and Cody Rd. First time I've seen them and I no longer buy anything without first researching or asking about it here. Doesn't mean that I won't buy just means I want to think about it.

In fact some negative posts help because my sense of taste can be 180* in the opposite direction than some members.

Sorry for the blurry pic. Maybe an omen.

post-10133-14489820730621_thumb.jpg

PVW 15. $326 total.......... Just received a call from a list i was on. When i was talking to him last week and he put me on I swear the prices he was telling me were relative to MSRP. Ran to the store all excited, only to have to pass. Price was cheaper then secondary as well as most other NYC stores, but i couldnt pull the trigger.

Gonna drown my sorrows in some ECBP later.

Passed up another Booker's 25th (I like it though), A JD Sinatra, and 4 bottles of Green spot Irish Whiskey at one store yesterday.

Was really tempted to grab a couple more Green Spot's though.

Methinks I can load it right this time. Anywho passed on Stetson and Cody Rd. First time I've seen them and I no longer buy anything without first researching or asking about it here. Doesn't mean that I won't buy just means I want to think about it.

In fact some negative posts help because my sense of taste can be 180* in the opposite direction than some members.

Sorry for the blurry pic. Maybe an omen.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18142[/ATTACH]

Wow replying to my own post. A frist I believe. Anyway a search on both turned up numerous negative comments/reviews and interesting enough all were in 2012. Money saved!

IMG_2295_zps5d3b7d85.jpg

Passed on all 3 The Stagg jr was 128 proof, but I got both that and the Saz jr bunkered in Multiples. And I'm thinking pretty bottle on the WRKD. Is there more to it.Too much bourbon not enough time, money, or liver.

Ted

IMG_2295_zps5d3b7d85.jpg

Passed on all 3 The Stagg jr was 128 proof, but I got both that and the Saz jr bunkered in Multiples. And I'm thinking pretty bottle on the WRKD. Is there more to it.Too much bourbon not enough time, money, or liver.

Ted

128 huh. I haven't seen or heard that one out there before. Interesting.

IMG_2295_zps5d3b7d85.jpg

Ted

The baby Zaz looks great though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

128 huh. I haven't seen or heard that one out there before. Interesting.

It's the 4th release up here I think 128.7 to be exact.

Ted

In L'burg today and swung by the WT gift shop to check the wares. They were plenty busy but had nothing special (unless you are looking for Forgiven and 81 proof rye). Walked out empty handed....

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!