What bourbon did you pass up today? Spring/Summer 2014

DBM
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The old 1849, the dustys, yes, well worth picking up. The recent bottles have little to recommend them other than a wheat recipe. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if the current stuff is just Rebel Yell under another label.

Passed on BTEC 125 and BTEC 115 today. Price was somewhere in the low $50's for each. Too high for 375 ml, I would have been interested around half that price.

Passed on BTEC 125 and BTEC 115 today. Price was somewhere in the low $50's for each. Too high for 375 ml, I would have been interested around half that price.

I picked up all three BTEC "rediscovered barrels" (17, 19 and 21 year) when the state I live in had them incorrectly priced, around $23 each.

post-5227-14489820765809_thumb.jpg

Every time my wife and I visit our son and his family in Omaha (every 4-6 weeks), we always end up having to stop at his local HyVee grocery store for something. I always check out the liquor department and this poor lonely bottle of OWA has been sitting on the top shelf with this crazy-ass price since late summer/early fall of last year. I laughed the first couple of times, but now I just want to see how long it will be there.

Saw a few Weller 12's on the shelf but passes for now as I have a few. Getting to be a rare sighting. Price was still relatively decent though.

post-8493-14489820797616_thumb.jpg

I saw a couple of bottles of Ezra B 12yo Single Barrel for $29.99 per bottle today and I passed it up.

I'm thinking I should go back for at least one.

If Buffalo Trace were selling a 12yo 1B it'd prolly go for a hundred dollar bill.

Saw a Black Maple Hills red label/NAS today for $65. My understanding is the older stuff is what people are nutty over and the red label is nothing special. Is that about accurate?

The older stuff as in the 16 year old offered about 20 years ago. Those barrels were chosen and bottled by Julian Van Winkle and are what made the brand's reputation. The stuff offered now under any color label is just overpriced ordinary.

Stagg jr at $89.99 and WT101 @ $24.99. My other store has the WT101 @ $19.99 so I think I'll pick up a few thurs.

The older stuff as in the 16 year old offered about 20 years ago. Those barrels were chosen and bottled by Julian Van Winkle and are what made the brand's reputation. The stuff offered now under any color label is just overpriced ordinary.

That's not entirely true. Some of it is extremely overpriced ordinary.

That's not entirely true. Some of it is extremely overpriced ordinary.

I've taken a chance on two bottles of the red label and found them both to be very enjoyable. I got them for well less than $65 though, and realize that the pedigree on these is sketchy at best. You're really taking a chance at that price, but for $40ish I was very happy with mine.

Yep, decent whisky alright, some of it very good, just depends on the source used at the time.

I think the NAS Black Maple Hill my Bro-In-Law sent me was just under $50. It's a decent enough bottle for that price. Haven't asked for another though.

Passed on some Michter's 10 year single barrel for $95...now I'm wondering if I should go back...

Not sure where you're located, but I picked some up a few days ago for $75.00

We all have different taste and I've only tried one bottle of BMH but if it is woth $50 OGD, HH, AAA, and a host of other bottom/mid shelfers should be $100. But that is just one old farts opinion.

Now having said that if I could buy BMH for say $2.99 to $3.99 a 750 I might consider it.

$89 for stagg jr? good god did they take your shirt too?

Stagg jr at $89.99 and WT101 @ $24.99. My other store has the WT101 @ $19.99 so I think I'll pick up a few thurs.

$89 for stagg jr? good god did they take your shirt too?

Thats pretty steep markup. Im waiting for 2 to get delivered tomorrow (if usps is on time for a change), they were 49.99 each. Thats here though.

We all have different taste and I've only tried one bottle of BMH but if it is woth $50 OGD, HH, AAA, and a host of other bottom/mid shelfers should be $100. But that is just one old farts opinion.

Now having said that if I could buy BMH for say $2.99 to $3.99 a 750 I might consider it.

Based on this post, I think it's high-time I revisit my bottle of BMH. Hopefully it tastes worth at least $5...

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!