What rye are you drinking Spring/Summer 2014?

TunnelTiger
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

SAOS 7 year old, good thing I bought 2 bottles as this goes down way too easy.

Handy Sazerac '12 followed by VWFRR '12. 2012 was a good year for rye.

Healthy pour of Collingwood 21. I initially thought the 90 proof was too low....not so. Wish I had bought more.

Great notes Mr A. I just have to find a bottle of this.

Very happy to provide tasting notes. And there's one store nearby that had a bottle the last time I checked. When I'm there next, I'll take a look for you.

WFE 25 yr rye and their new 2 yr rye. Both tasted at the gift shop after a tour. Though young, I thought the 2 yr was quite nice and pleasurable. Didn't have enough time with the 25yr but my brother in law bought a bottle to bring over tonight to celebrate the parents in law 50yr wedding anniv so I will get a good taste tonight.

Leopold mrye tasting notes. Yes on the redbreast on the nose. Lots of raisins, hint of chocolate. Slight young grain flavor. Finish is not young. Decent rye spice, and some heavy malt.

I hope Leopold and McKenzie make it to Indiana soon. I would like to try both.

Some current WT101, hit the spot on this warm evening. Had another pour of Collingwood 21 later in the night.

Last big pour of a WFE 5yo. Still has the effervescence and mint, but less pine than the start.

March, 2014 bottling of Mich 10 rye.

Has the same nose-to-palate disconnect that Mich 10 bourbon does. If I didn't know any better and had saved more of the 10 yr bourbon, I'd vat the two and see if they complement or if it's really is like dividing by zero. :eek:

Handy with a cube. Haven't had any rye in a long while and this one is making me wonder why. Really good stuff.

Just cracked opened a Willett FE 2 year up and had a good sized pour. Not bad for a 2 year and enjoyed the flavors, but I wish I sampled this instead of spending the $48 for the whole bottle.

Just cracked opened a Willett FE 2 year up and had a good sized pour. Not bad for a 2 year and enjoyed the flavors, but I wish I sampled this instead of spending the $48 for the whole bottle.

So don't like it?

Wow - $48 seems pretty steep. I'm looking forward to finding this one, but expecting it closer to $35.

Had the last pours of some delicious CETHR last night. I do like it but at $79 a bottle it may be awhile before I pick up another.

Then again I may get one next week if the mood hits me.

Had the last pours of some delicious CETHR last night. I do like it but at $79 a bottle it may be awhile before I pick up another.

Then again I may get one next week if the mood hits me.

:lol: Right! It's quite comforting knowing that you don't always have to defend self imposed lines in the sand , ain't it ? :lol:

:toast:

I do want to add that I think pricing on that bottle is $10 cheaper down here. Pick up a coupla bottles and it more than pays for the gas in the Hog!

Yes I think my next hunting trip may be south on 75. Well at least as far as Acworth.

I saw it in Indy for the first time yesterday. It was $39.99. I thought that was a little high. It was sitting next to bottles of WFE 4 year which were also $39.99. While I like to try new things, I also like to feel like I am getting a good value. Of course, Bone Snapper is $29.99 and it is close to 2 years old I believe. I like it. I do like that the WFE 2 year is a blend. I would hope that would help balance out some of the rough edges. I suspect I will buy one at some point. Of course, I am still trying to get over the fact that the 4 year is $39.99 when last fall it was $31.99.

Edited by mbroo5880i

Had my first pours of Angels Envy Rye last night. Different, unique, and I like it.

I won't buy another though. Just priced too high for what it is.

I am glad I bought a bottle and tried it.

Had my first pours of Angels Envy Rye last night. Different, unique, and I like it.

I won't buy another though. Just priced too high for what it is.

I am glad I bought a bottle and tried it.

Glad you were able to try the AE rye. Here are a few points about the AE rye that I might add. First, let it get some airtime, as it opens up nicely. Second, don't be wary of adding a bit of water to a pour, as IMO, it opens up the pour nicely, and it lessens some of the sweeter notes making it a bit more balanced. Third, while I think it is a really solid rye in general, this is not quite its peak time of year to shine IMO. To me, it is a whiskey that screams fall and winter, and I think you'll appreciate it more in that context.

And keep an open mind to picking up another. It is not a whiskey I reach for often, especially this time of year, but I will generally have a bottle open, and a backup in the bunker. Just my .02 cents.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!