What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Had a crazy weekend full of booze friends and food. Winding down with some 1995ish Glenfarclas 25

Nicely done on the wind down.

Enjoying some Miltonduff 30yr Faultline from K&L tonight thanks to an awesome SB'er.

Enjoying some Miltonduff 30yr Faultline from K&L tonight thanks to an awesome SB'er.

OMG...I had the same thing. Great minds...what not and etc...

Last night 15 years was hitting the sweet spot. A Macallan Fine Oak 15 followed by several Laphroaig 15s.

Laphroaig 18 while out to dinner with my son and his wife for Father's Day. Went nicely with the steak, but as Mrs. Vosgar said..... "that's the smallest pour I've ever seen" :frown:

Had a pour of some Farclas 25 last night to cap a great Father's Day.

Booker's 2013-6 which I paid $32 for. Makes some of these Willett 7-9 year old bottles everyone goes ga ga over and pay 2-3x too much for taste like cat piss for the price. There, I said it. :P

Booker's 2013-6 which I paid $32 for. Makes some of these Willett 7-9 year old bottles everyone goes ga ga over and pay 2-3x too much for taste like cat piss for the price. There, I said it. :P

Agree. I've really enjoyed the Roundtable ones. The 2013-7 is maple and nuts and doesn't at all drink like 128 proof. Highly recommend it. But this is also for foreign whisky. :D

Springbank 12 Calvados - thx to a generous SBr for the sample

Edit: Followed by Abbey Whisky Caperdonich 17yr Release 1

Edited by ChainWhip

Last night 15 years was hitting the sweet spot. A Macallan Fine Oak 15 followed by several Laphroaig 15s.
Laphroaig 18 while out to dinner with my son and his wife for Father's Day. Went nicely with the steak, but as Mrs. Vosgar said..... "that's the smallest pour I've ever seen" :frown:

I enjoyed an older Froaig CS a few nights ago. Damn good malt. So earthy and dirty. Just a mouth full of sod! The methylate and iodine notes in Laphroaig are so pronounced. I love it!

ejubyvud.jpg

Had a sample of Balvenie 21 portwood, finishing the night off with a glass of Laphroaig 18. On the Balvenie side of things, it was a very nice dram, though the 50ml bottle tasted a bit more acidic than expected. I watered it until it stopped smelling acidic, then let it sit for about 30 minutes and that seemed to calm things down. Ended up being a very nice dram, with layers of sugary complexity both in nose in taste. Red fruits, birthday cake, all the classics. The Laphroaig 18, as I have mentioned before, is a favorite of mine, and did not disappoint tonight.

Tried a very odd one last night, Penderyn. This is the main release thats available in the US and is madeira finished, I believe they have several other finishes but I have not seen them generally available in my domestic travels. I tried this whisky once before at a scottish pub in Victoria, BC, and really enjoyed it, purchased a bottle soon after and it's been sitting on my shelf for the last 2 years. Finally opened it and it's not how I remembered, though to be fair, I've tried many whiskys since and my palate has developed at least a little. To me this one came off as all heavy, cloyingly sweet both in the nose and finish but more subdued in the palate. Lots of very (over?) ripe fruits all throughout, with the closest profile being a late harvest wine, something like a riesling. I'm not sure I particularly enjoy it but so far I've only tried it neat. I'm going to add some water, and then try with a little ice, because I have this feeling this could make a great summer time pour.

post-9128-14489821021734_thumb.jpg

I had a Glenlivet 16 K&L signatory and some Glenfiddich 15 DE last night. Both sherried but both very different. I enjoyed them immensely. This was a thanks to a fellow SBer.

I had a Glenlivet 16 K&L signatory and some Glenfiddich 15 DE last night. Both sherried but both very different. I enjoyed them immensely. This was a thanks to a fellow SBer.

Digging into the end of some bottles tonight.

Auhchentoshan Classic - A tasty and affordable lowland

Glen Grant 10 - One dimensional and fruity speyside. I much prefer the 16.

Springbank 10 - A wonderful entry into fruity/briny/peated balance.

Clynelish 14 - A damn near perfect $50 dram with brine, wax, fruit and malt. Highly recommended.

It's an Islay evening.

Laphroiag 10 Cask Strength (2013 batch #5)

Laphroaig 18---got it for a good price of $62.99

Both offer the Laphroaig signature peat, brine, salty, sea shore tastes, but the 18 is sweeter, more well behaved than compared to it's younger and stronger sibling. I enjoy both for different reasons. The Cask Strength is oily, where as the 18 is creamy in mouthfeel.

Digging into the end of some bottles tonight.

Clynelish 14 - A damn near perfect $50 dram with brine, wax, fruit and malt. Highly recommended.

Max Power, I will have to try the Clynelish 14, never had it!

Had some Glendronach Parliment 21 & long morn 21 K&L. Parliment wins hands down.

Had some Glendronach Parliment 21 & long morn 21 K&L. Parliment wins hands down.

Two different sherry flavors. I really enjoy them both, but the richness of that Glendronach 21 is pretty awesome.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!