What Wee Dram Are You Enjoying Now - Spring/Summer 2014

ChainWhip
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Started with some Johnnie Walker Green Label and then finished with some Laphroaig Caideras 2013. Really excited for the 2014 release!

Splash of Laphroaig 15 last night. What a great pour. Such a soft palate compared to the 10yr CS and the MASSIVE amount of iodine is right in my wheelhouse. Love it!!

So I was bummed that I was going to miss the V&T Ardbeg Day and a chance to taste the new Ardbeg....

John Burlowski to the rescue!!!!

John and Joan were so nice to open their home to Mecha and I after a long and fun day at the Aquarium in Newport, KY. And then John takes me down to his very impressive and beautiful bar and pulls out and cracks a brand new Ardbeg Auriverdes! Looks like I'm going to taste it after all! Woot! Woot!

I half expected (and my wallet hoped) it would be another mediocre release from Ardbeg with Galileo and Ardbog as it's predecessor but alas, expectations shattered.

THIS IS SOME DAMN GOOD MALT BOYS!

Tim Davis, you better get a bottle ASAP. You will be kicking yourself if not. I'm going to call Denis and try to get one. Was hoping to be able to pass on this one with our barrel picks looming but no way. Tasting notes.

The nose is delicate. Plenty of iodine (which I love) and a nice evening sea breeze. Buttered scallops and fresh seaweed.

Now the palate is where this one REALLY shines. And I don't say this lightly....the softest, creamiest Ardbeg I have ever had on entry. This one wouldn't scare a flea! Absolutely ZERO "bite" or abrasive standard Islay. No age statement but my palate-o-meter is hitting around 18+ years just based on mouthfeel and roundness.

Guys, this might be the Islay to convert the non-Islay drinker.

I'd love to do a blind taste off with this one and Day.....I just might be surprised which one wins.

Thank you John!

Tim Davis, you better get a bottle ASAP. You will be kicking yourself if not. I'm going to call Denis and try to get one. Was hoping to be able to pass on this one with our barrel picks looming but no way. Tasting notes.

A bit of an impromtu tasting last night with Tali 175th, a Madiera finished Caol Ila, 2014 Devils Bit and an appearance from the General.

Been many moons since I've had any scotch but a post last week perked my interest and I picked up my first bottle of Glenmorangie.

I really enjoyed the first couple of pours and after getting excellent word from the Dr on Mrs TT's "procedure" yesterday I really put a dent in it last night. Just very enjoyable pour/pours.

I think a change from bourbon/rye occasionally will benefit my palette.

Been many moons since I've had any scotch but a post last week perked my interest and I picked up my first bottle of Glenmorangie.

I really enjoyed the first couple of pours and after getting excellent word from the Dr on Mrs TT's "procedure" yesterday I really put a dent in it last night. Just very enjoyable pour/pours.

I think a change from bourbon/rye occasionally will benefit my palette.

Glenmo is a good transition and has a big fruity/malty flavor. If you want a special occasion malt, the Glenmorangie 18 year is damn near perfect for me. Cider notes, malt, biscuits. Really approachable and delicious.

It's been several weeks since I had it last, so went back to the Red Breast Cask Strength to finish off the evening last night. As expected, it was delicious as ever, so I will start with it tonight! :D

Talisker 10, lately if I have bourbon after work, and am in the mood for a small dram before bed, scotch is where I end up!

Talisker 10, lately if I have bourbon after work, and am in the mood for a small dram before bed, scotch is where I end up!

Welcome, Twin Cities person!

Also hitting the Ardbeg Auriverdes. I guess I'm going to be the Debbie-Downer here by saying that I am not impressed. I think it is very light whisky. I got light smoke/brine, mocha/coffee and a little vanilla. I enjoyed the in-yo-face attitude of Ardbog. Auriverdes is much more docile. I understand why some people like it - it's very drinkable (which generally, seems to be the modus operandi of Dr. Bill). But IMO, for the cask strength whores out that there that like a good tongue raping, there just isn't enough oomph there for this "special release."

I popped open the Kavalan Sherry Cask as soon as I could after getting home last night. It pours a chalky black-brown - very little light gets through this stuff. The nose is dense, sweet and fruity, heavy and rich with milk chocolate and coffee. It's a stunning nose and the palate is no less intense with meaty fruit and only slight hints of Oloroso dank sulphur that is my major problem with Glendronach. Amazingly, despite the overwhelming sherry influence, the malt stands up to the sherry here. It has a pillow-y body, like marshmallow that allows the sherry a full spectrum on which to dance: from sweet citrus at the top all the way down to rich chocolate notes at the bottom. It's sooooo darn pleasing. The finish continues on these notes with not a hint of oak. Spongy stuff through and through, an immensely pleasurable sherry bomb.

I poured The General and a Glendronach Revival to compare SBS. The General was not a good comparison, it's an entirely different animal. The Revival is not bad, but the palate is nowhere near as chewy as the Kavalan and I get bitter oaky notes on the finish that bring out the worst in Oloroso. The Kavalan is really in a class by itself, and it's really, really good. The packaging is classy, but I really don't need it and would much rather pay $25 less and just get the bottle. Unlike with Scotch, there is no relationship between age and price here. It's just a succulent malt whisky, and though it put a hurting on the wallet, I can only say it's worth every penny.

That was my impression, too. I had a good chat with Ian Chang and he understands that Kavalan is priced high for a younger malt...but he also believes that the pricing is in line with the quality of his spirits. As much as I don't like it, I'm inclined to agree with Ian. Kavalan is making great whisky. When evaluating Kavalan, its better to look beyond age and just focus on quality.

Side Note: we're all nerdy enough to know this, but when I was chatting with Ian he emphasized that Taiwan's climate gets very, very hot and there is a lot of interplay between the wood and whisky while the distillate is in the barrel.

Side Note: we're all nerdy enough to know this, but when I was chatting with Ian he emphasized that Taiwan's climate gets very, very hot and there is a lot of interplay between the wood and whisky while the distillate is in the barrel.

It's amazing how all the best parts of the Oloroso cask are extracted with none of the bitter oak along for the ride. It speaks to the quality of the casks and distillate and how harmoniously they work together with the climate. Remarkable stuff any way you cut it.

It's amazing how all the best parts of the Oloroso cask are extracted with none of the bitter oak along for the ride. It speaks to the quality of the casks and distillate and how harmoniously they work together with the climate. Remarkable stuff any way you cut it.

Ian was saying that they spend TONS of money to get quality casks (especially sherry). A lot of their bourbon casks come from Beam.

I revisited Auriverdes last night and I'm changing my opinion. I got the creaminess that Josh was talking about and it definitely wasn't light. I got more brine and salt, too, with a nice medium finish. A little air has gone a long way and its more enjoyable. Definitely a decent whisky. My bottle's been open for two weeks now and my previous post was based on when I first opened it.

Just did a little blind Irish SBS of PJL, RB 12 CS and TD Phoenix. I had done this a couple of months ago, and I ranked them TD, RB and PJL. Tonight, the RB CS edged the Phoenix, but the PJL was still an easy third for me. The softer PJL just can't stand up for me to the more robust and flavorful RB and TD. All excellent though.

I wonder if the humidity adds to the speed of aging beyond just the heat? Having spent time there a few summers back for work, have never sweat so much in my life.

Attended a scotch tasting last night hosted by the Metro Atlanta Scotch Club with Andy Smith, president of the LA Scotch Club, as the featured guest.

Some fairly heavy hitters in the lineup last night.

post-8493-14489820945927_thumb.jpg

LAPHROAIG Single Malt / 1998 Vintage (15-Year Old) / CS 60.8% ABV / Signatory / Selected by the Singh Bros of The Whisky Exchange

CHICHIBU/HANYU Pure Malt Japanese Whisky / “Ichiro's Malt Mizunara Wood Reserve” / NAS / 46% ABV

STRONACHIE Single Malt (Benrinnes) / 1976 vintage (31-year old) / 52.6% ABV / AD Rattray

HIGHLAND PARK Single Malt / 25-Year Old / 45.7% ABV

GLENGLASSAUGH Single Malt / 26-Year Old / 46% ABV

CAOL ILA Single Malt / 1983 Vintage (27-Year Old) / CS 52% ABV / Frisky Whisky

All were delightful although the HP25 may well have been the least interesting of this particular group. The Laphroaig was a single sherry cask of peated whisky with wonderful balance and the 27yo Caol Ila CS was simply delightful. The Chichibu was perhaps the lightest of the bunch but the flavor was most unusual presumably from the Japanese Mizunara wood. The Glengassaugh seemed even more mature than its 26 years and the Stronachie was a sweet buttery delight.

I also shared a few whiskies with Andy but nothing in this league. It included the Hammer Head 23yo from the Czech Republic, Eddu Silver Buckwheat whisky from France and a personal favorite, the Smith's Angaston 12yo vintage 2000 from Australia. I was pleased he thought highly of the Angaston as well so hopefully it wasn't just my peculiar palate that thought it was good.

Attended a scotch tasting last night hosted by the Metro Atlanta Scotch Club with Andy Smith, president of the LA Scotch Club, as the featured guest.

Some fairly heavy hitters in the lineup last night.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]18537[/ATTACH]

LAPHROAIG Single Malt / 1998 Vintage (15-Year Old) / CS 60.8% ABV / Signatory / Selected by the Singh Bros of The Whisky Exchange

CHICHIBU/HANYU Pure Malt Japanese Whisky / “Ichiro's Malt Mizunara Wood Reserve†/ NAS / 46% ABV

STRONACHIE Single Malt (Benrinnes) / 1976 vintage (31-year old) / 52.6% ABV / AD Rattray

HIGHLAND PARK Single Malt / 25-Year Old / 45.7% ABV

GLENGLASSAUGH Single Malt / 26-Year Old / 46% ABV

CAOL ILA Single Malt / 1983 Vintage (27-Year Old) / CS 52% ABV / Frisky Whisky

All were delightful although the HP25 may well have been the least interesting of this particular group. The Laphroaig was a single sherry cask of peated whisky with wonderful balance and the 27yo Caol Ila CS was simply delightful. The Chichibu was perhaps the lightest of the bunch but the flavor was most unusual presumably from the Japanese Mizunara wood. The Glengassaugh seemed even more mature than its 26 years and the Stronachie was a sweet buttery delight.

I also shared a few whiskies with Andy but nothing in this league. It included the Hammer Head 23yo from the Czech Republic, Eddu Silver Buckwheat whisky from France and a personal favorite, the Smith's Angaston 12yo vintage 2000 from Australia. I was pleased he thought highly of the Angaston as well so hopefully it wasn't just my peculiar palate that thought it was good.

Sounds like a blast Bruce. I'm sorry I missed it. I was coming back from Sonoma/Napa last night.

Relaxing on the porch with a Fuente 8-5-8, Laphroaig 15 and my terriers

Had a crazy weekend full of booze friends and food. Winding down with some 1995ish Glenfarclas 25

Had a crazy weekend full of booze friends and food. Winding down with some 1995ish Glenfarclas 25

A pour of vintage Benriach 10 to start the night. Man, if 10yr old product tasted like the 90's era stuff....I'd be laughing.

A little bit of everything tonight - Laph 10, Macallan 18, Hibiki 12. Threw in a Corsair Triple Smoke as well. The Hibiki 12 was a pleasant surprise but I can't get enough of the Laph 10. Islay all the way for me!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!