What bourbon are you drinking in Australia? - Winter 2014

Stones
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

The combination of me being a big Wild Turkey fan, being a sucker for a nice bottle, and just getting my tax return has me closer than I'd like to pulling the trigger on a pre-order of Masters Keep at mybottleshop :crazy:.

Anyone pulled the trigger on the WT Diamond Release? Probably should google it but wonder how that will compare to the Masters Keep? I particularly enjoy the 'mongrel' of WT101 so not sure how an extensively aged version would go.

Also: Brissie folk any tips/leads on some of your better liquor shops in the area?

Also: Brissie folk any tips/leads on some of your better liquor shops in the area?

That got asked on the FB forum 'Dram Full - Brisbane' yesterday by someone chasing (Scotch) Whisky leads. Most common answers being 'Try Cru, Malt Traders, Wine Emporium, Craft'.

I haven't personally been to Malt Traders or Craft, and it's been several years since I last visited Cru and Wine Emporium. From memory Wine Emporium didn't have much, but Cru had a few harder to find bourbon/rye in stock. PM me if you'd like any more detail, and don't forget, if you're in the city, let us know if you're keen for a catch up drink!

For our South East Queensland members, the Brisbane Whiskey Live events are happening on the 21st and 22nd of August. As usual there's lots of International whiskies on offer and a number of Bourbons & Ryes (which are listed below). More details are at www.whiskylive.com.au/brisbane/

I'll plan to attend on the Friday night, so if you are going let us know on here as it'd be great to say g'day.

Dry Fly Straight Wheat Whiskey

Dry Fly Straight Cask Strength Wheat Whiskey

Dry Fly Triticale Whiskey

Dry Fly Port Finished Wheat Whiskey

Hudson Manhattan Rye

Hudson Baby Bourbon

Jack Daniel's Tennessee Whiskey

Jack Daniels 1907 Brand

Jack Daniel's Tennessee Honey

Jack Daniel's Single Barrel

Jack Daniel's Gentleman Jack

Knob Creek 9yo

Knob Creek Sngle Barrel

Knob Creek Rye

Maker's Mark

Maker's 46

Russell's Reserve Small Batch 10yo

Russell's Reserve Single Barrel

Dux you are refering to Masters Keep. 44.4% and $199.

Yep I will pass. What happened to WT keeping the proof real

Anyone pulled the trigger on the WT Diamond Release? Probably should google it but wonder how that will compare to the Masters Keep? I particularly enjoy the 'mongrel' of WT101 so not sure how an extensively aged version would go.

attachment.php?attachmentid=21301&stc=1

Opened these up on Wednesday night with Jimmy and Eddie Russell, and a great bunch of guys. Oh, that Donut!

post-1792-1448982262802_thumb.jpg

post-1792-1448982262802_thumb.jpg

Great photos Scott. Had a great time on Friday night at the same event. I agree with your opinion of the masters keep, didnt have high expectations initally, but it really pleasantly surprised. This is Eddies first solo effort andfull of flavor even at a lower proof that previous releases.

Great to meet alot of fantastic people at the event including Vetish and his bride to be ( im right here!!!!!!)..

Special thanks to the guys from Campari for putting on a great event, and of course the men of the hour for their relaxed demeanor and willingness to engage in conversation with everyone!

A night to remember.

I tried this on Wednesday night and it was amazing. so full of flavour. The reason it's 86.8.....when they blended the barrels, due to evaporation (some of these were in stone warehouses for a long period) it came out at 89 proof. so they added a little water. I don't know for sure, but I imagine this may be on the table at Whisky Live in Brisbane. It's due to hit wholesalers this coming week, so should start showing up on the shelves soon.

I may have to rethink my view then, to be honest to diamond release was quite underwhelming and tainted new, and lower proof, releases of WT for me.

I tried this on Wednesday night and it was amazing. so full of flavour. The reason it's 86.8.....when they blended the barrels, due to evaporation (some of these were in stone warehouses for a long period) it came out at 89 proof. so they added a little water. I don't know for sure, but I imagine this may be on the table at Whisky Live in Brisbane. It's due to hit wholesalers this coming week, so should start showing up on the shelves soon.

You've sold me on a purchase.

The more I read about Masters Keep the more it seems like WT cashing in on the frenzy for high Age Stated Bourbon. Don't get me wrong, I've got several bottles of 'mistake' bourbon; CEHT Tornado, Smooth Ambler Contradiction etc and they are fantastic but the story on this seems very much like a batch of second rate stuff (stored non conventionally, moved between facilities etc).

then there's the low proof (then they watered it down even more!?!)

On a quick trip to Auckland New Zealand... Picked up a Jim Beam Single Barrel, Jim Beam Kentucky Dram, willett XCF and a Mellow Corn... Now I just gotta get it home :)

The more I read about Masters Keep the more it seems like WT cashing in on the frenzy for high Age Stated Bourbon. Don't get me wrong, I've got several bottles of 'mistake' bourbon; CEHT Tornado, Smooth Ambler Contradiction etc and they are fantastic but the story on this seems very much like a batch of second rate stuff (stored non conventionally, moved between facilities etc).

then there's the low proof (then they watered it down even more!?!)

It is a "Barrel Proof" offering, even at that low proof. The whiskey was barreled at a low 107 proof, and actually lost proof during its 17 years in the rickhouses. A real oddity, for sure.

It is a "Barrel Proof" offering, even at that low proof. The whiskey was barreled at a low 107 proof, and actually lost proof during its 17 years in the rickhouses. A real oddity, for sure.

The haul from my trip to New Zealand.....

attachment.php?attachmentid=21385&stc=1

Will be curious to hear what you think of the Willett XCF. That was the bottle that started my current Willett boycott. Not because it was bad necessarily, but because I thought the initial asking price was absurd (about $150 as I recall). Although the reviews since then that I saw have generally been less than stellar as well.

Yeah, the XCF will be interesting. We don't generally see the Willett offerings in Australia, so when I am in NZ (or any other country that carries it) I tend to grab one. I trust the retailer I purchased it from, as his tastes align to mine in most instances, and he's generally steered me to good bottles in the past. For someone used to Australian prices, the $140-$150 US asking price isn't all that high... or for perspective, it's about on par what we'll be paying for Wild Turkey Masters Keep.

Yeah, the XCF will be interesting. We don't generally see the Willett offerings in Australia, so when I am in NZ (or any other country that carries it) I tend to grab one. I trust the retailer I purchased it from, as his tastes align to mine in most instances, and he's generally steered me to good bottles in the past. For someone used to Australian prices, the $140-$150 US asking price isn't all that high... or for perspective, it's about on par what we'll be paying for Wild Turkey Masters Keep.

Yeah Master's Keep is going to retail at $200. 10,000 bottles for Australia. Reckon it'll be on the shelves for a while.

Interesting to note, a friend in retail (and a fellow member here) has already sold half of his first delivery.....

Interesting to note, a friend in retail (and a fellow member here) has already sold half of his first delivery.....

Heard US gets 20k and Japan gets 6k. Will pick up a bottle next week.

Also enjoying a small pour of WT RB. It always seems to hit the right notes with me, which is great since it's the cheapest readily available high-proof bourbon around here.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.