What bourbon are you drinking? Summer 14

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

AAA10yr. Starting off with mash bill 2. Blanton's then Straight from the barrel. After that who knows where my palate will take me.

I went to our regular Mandays Monday tasting tonight. Tonights spirit was Venezuelan rums. Mehhhh. :frown: I just happened to bring along a nice sample of Maker's Mark Cask Strength for the boys and the bar manager to taste just in case. :rolleyes: It met with everyones approval. :grin:

I finally opened a generic SAOS cask strength bourbon I've had on the shelf for a while. Very thick mouth feel, absolutely loved it

I've been alternating between Baker's and Dickel 9 the past couple of evenings. One nutty and spicy while the other is grainy (corn flakes?) and warming. Both easy drinkers.

First time tasting all three of the following:

Two nights ago: 1991 Blanton's -- really, really good. No wonder this stuff is so expensive.

Last night: 2014 Dickel 8 -- not bad, but lacking strong character one way or the other. Will use for cocktails.

Tonight: 1985 Bourbon de Luxe (ND) -- yummy, sweet, flavor lingers nicely. I guess I got a good one.

Pour of OWA after a late night volleyball league match. I swear 2 or 3 of their players were half my age. But age and treachery will overcome youth and skill. So now I can celebrate and not think how my back will feel tomorrow!

sighhhh......drinking the 4R PS OESQ again and this is SO GOOD. I just went back and checked the "favorite 4R recipe" poll thread and this one didn't have a lot of votes. Just goes to show you how good Rutledge is across the board with all his different offerings that one this good isn't even among the favorites.

sighhhh......drinking the 4R PS OESQ again and this is SO GOOD. I just went back and checked the "favorite 4R recipe" poll thread and this one didn't have a lot of votes. Just goes to show you how good Rutledge is across the board with all his different offerings that one this good isn't even among the favorites.
My local bottle shop did a barrel selection awhile back (hasn't arrived yet, unfortunately), and they let me try the winning bourbons: one was an OESF, one and OESQ. I thought the OESQ was one of the nicest bourbons I have tasted in a long time, and very different. I need to try and OBSQ soon

My local bottle shop did a barrel selection awhile back (hasn't arrived yet, unfortunately), and they let me try the winning bourbons: one was an OESF, one and OESQ. I thought the OESQ was one of the nicest bourbons I have tasted in a long time, and very different. I need to try and OBSQ soon

Let me know when that comes in. I will be willing to take a quick drive north for that.

It is funny you say that Patrick. Over the weekend I did a side by side of ECBP and SAOS 8 Year cask strength from Caskers. I was fully expecting that I would like the ECBP more but SAOS was the winner. I'm on the hunt for more!

A generous pour of Angel's Envy. Don't reach for it often; but, today seemed the right one. :grin: It Is!!!

My last pours of summer were SB blend, HHSS, and Rue Dumaine Willett, Friday night. I did have a little Lag16 Saturday night.

Pour of OWA after a late night volleyball league match. I swear 2 or 3 of their players were half my age. But age and treachery will overcome youth and skill. So now I can celebrate and not think how my back will feel tomorrow!

reminds me of the Fried Green Tomatoes scene where she smashes into the young girls' car that flew in and took the parking spot shed been waiting on...."Im older and have more insurance!"

on track....some nights HH BIB Gold is just okay, some nights it is pretty good. tonight, its pretty good!

VROHH 8 year old tonight. The full bottle that I took to the gazebo this past weekend came home with about a third remaining.

Small pour of a newly opened store selection EC 12. Not a mind blower, just a good solid pour. Followed the EC 12 with my last - large - pour of 50/50 SB Blend. Was nursing this along, but with my recent purchase of Weller 12 in Texas, I'll be mixing up a new batch this weekend. While I do intend to fiddle with a couple of variations, there is something to this particular combination that just pops.

Stagg Jr batch 2. Just cant find anything overly impressive with this bottle. I want to love it, but it always seems to fall short.

Tonight I poured a Wild Turkey rare breed blind SBS of the WT-03RB vs the new 112.8 proof release. Really like the new release much better than the old one. The 03RB tasted younger and hotter to me actually. A pleasant surprise when the new stuff is better than the dusties!

r

on track....some nights HH BIB Gold is just okay, some nights it is pretty good. tonight, its pretty good!

its one of the few bourbons I prefer with an ice cube. i mean, I like it neat a lot, but it is something about the chill of the ice cube makes it so smooth and delicious.

VROHH 8 year old tonight. The full bottle that I took to the gazebo this past weekend came home with about a third remaining.

One of my faves of the weekend. Plethora of stone type fruit in that one. Reminds me of the Antebellum.

Having some GBS OBSK with a few drops of water. Love this one, perfect for the slight night chill/chrispness that has reached GA this week.

Started with Blantons Straight From The Barrel.........whoooo boy is this an amazing pour. I find standard Blanton's to be underwhelming and too easy going. But SFTB on the other hand is a powerful flavor packed beast. Dang.

Following that up with the OESQ I've been enjoying this week. It stands up just fine.

Tonight is a good night - which I needed after a crappy day at work.

Elmer T. Lee. Finally scored a bottle in VA, now enjoying in CA. Unobtanium here. Great stuff.. I enjoy OGD BiB and OGD 114 and the ETL is also rye-forward, but different. It takes a little adjustment (for me).

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!