What bourbon are you drinking? Summer 14

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

My question was if Medley 12 is indeed a special one off made under contract then who made it?

Chuck posted something about that a while back, but he wouldn't say who the distiller is.

Having a pour of OWA from a brand new bottle. For the first time I can recall, I'm forced to add a splash of water to OWA to make it palatable. Thin and hot neat, but some sweetness comes out when cut.

Brought back a $26.99 bottle of FRSB from the motherland. Enjoying a nice 3 finger pour, settling in for a little football

made a big pot of habanero-chili tonight, then some friends texted me about an impromptu porching potluck, so I took the whole pot over there with me. I keep a bottle of HH6BIB over there, and enjoyed both.

4R Private Selection OESQ. Feeling like I could sit here and drink the whole bottle because it's going down so easy. Every time I try a new 4R recipe, I scratch my head and am not sure what to think because it's so different from what I usually drink. By about the third pour I declare it a resounding success. This one is no different.

Friday night tasting.

WP_20140919_19_20_11_Pro%20resized.jpg

- A FR PS bottle, OBSK 11 years 4 months, was my surprise favorite.

- Willett 2 year rye is missing about 4 years of age, but otherwise well built.

- 2008 Stagg and 2012 Stagg, both fresh bottles opened that night. Surprisingly different bourbons, other than proof there wasn't much in common. 2012 was better for me.

- While I (normally) love PVW20, it was not getting along with my palate that night. Dry, lacking flavor. PVW15 was showing significantly better.

- CEHT BP is a very flavor rich bourbon. You could pick out every flavor imaginable with a little suggestion, though predominantly earthy notes, like RHF on steroids. Really good.

- Four Roses doesn't make a bad bottle.

It looks like I've been part of the misinformation here, for which I apologize. . . . So, the same juice as Wathen's, which is contract distilled Medley mashbill - what is the one-off is that this one batch was age stated 12yrs and one time only, where Wathen's is said to be younger and is in continuous production.

Thanks for stepping up Tot, I wasn't singling you out, rather was just curious if I'd missed something.

made a big pot of habanero-chili tonight, then some friends texted me about an impromptu porching potluck, so I took the whole pot over there with me. I keep a bottle of HH6BIB over there, and enjoyed both.

So 4i are you going to share your habanero-chili recipe?

OGD 114. Am visiting my folks in VA and it's on the shelf for $22.99! Amazing.

Since I'm in CA, I marvel at the difference with the control state pricing. I can find really old, tax-strip items if I hunt around in L.A., but if I just make a quick trip or two here, I can find Dickel 14, Elmer T. Lee, various Bowmans, etc. which are unobtanium in CA.

I'm excited to try the Bowman's Rum i got.

The movers arrived yesterday at 8am to empty out almost all of the furniture from the first floor and a bunch of boxes from the basement, as we make room to renovate the kitchen.

We're about to gut the kitchen to the studs, also removing floor and subfloor, and the ceiling too. In will go a half-bath we didn't have before, a reconfigured and much-improved kitchen (the outgoing cabinets are from the early 60's and are falling apart, our stove dates to 1971 and is dying, the fridge to 1989 and it's sucking down the electricity, etc.), and a small punch-out for a window seat where the kitchen table will go.

After the moving guys unloaded everything into a storage unit, I spent five hours cleaning up all the places that had been covered by furniture and rugs. Dusty, dirty nasty mess, and the weather was as humid as a midsummer heat wave.

After the house was polished to a high shine, and as the clock was approaching midnight, two glasses of Larceny over lots of ice were of great assistance in cooling down the mopwielder-in-chief. This renovation stuff better be worth it...

Had some SB blend w12/owa. Its been marrying for about 3 days now and tastes amazing last night. When I first did the blend (50/50), the nose was somewhat hot and all over the place. After some time to settle down, it tastes amazing! A rich base of caramel/brown sugar richness with a top layer of unripe peach. Tastes awesome too, fruity and light on entry, big swell of that caramel burnt sugar thing and has a nice spicy fruity finish. No off notes.

I have been searching for Weller 12 for over 3 months. Since there is nothing here on the East Coast that I can track down.

BUT....Did find 14 Bottles in the Mid West..Called the store and talked to the manager. He put the bottles on the side. Called my

Brother In-Law who lives local to the store and picked up the goods. Nice delivery last Friday. $28 per bottle.

Yes.....I will be drinking this for the next 3yrs...Since the next batch of Weller 12 will be out by then.

post-8010-14489821478189_thumb.jpg

Edited by CohibaJoe

Good ol' Charter 101. Haven't had any in four or five years because there were just too many "more interesting" bourbons out there. Now I wish I'd bought more.

Regrets, I've had a few

But, then again, too few to mention.

Hope you like Weller 12....You can grab some OWA and do the SB blend. Its 50/50 but you can experiment. I find that it adds some freshness fruits to the nose and I find it to be better than either one individually.

I have been searching for Weller 12 for over 3 months. Since there is nothing here on the East Coast that I can track down.

BUT....Did find 14 Bottles in the Mid West..Called the store and talked to the manager. He put the bottles on the side. Called my

Brother In-Law who lives local to the store and picked up the goods. Nice delivery last Friday. $28 per bottle.

Yes.....I will be drinking this for the next 3yrs...Since the next batch of Weller 12 will be out by then.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]19397[/ATTACH]

I cracked open an OGD 114 that I've had in the bunker a while and it is one of the oiliest bourbons I've ever tasted. Much moreso than other 114s I've had in the past. Delicious

I have 3 in the bunker. I loved the 13. Hate the bottle shape. It takes up so much space. Eyes open for the 14.

OFBB 13. Oh boy . . .

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!