What bourbon are you drinking? Summer 14

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

OGD BIB neat (two pours). My wife asked me to buy an Angel's Envy for her (she liked a cocktail made with it). One for her, two for me . . .

I was lucky enough to pick up two of the 11 year Willett Family Estate Bourbons that have been released over the past few weeks. One is a wheater that comes in at 116.8 proof. It immediately comes off at hot... hot hot. Having only tasted WLW once and having never had any other barrel proof wheaters I was a bit taken aback. Once it aired out a bit it was a wonderful pour. Definitely a Heaven Hill profile IMO (which you all can conclude it's definitively not Heaven Hill because I'm usually wrong). It tasted more Old Fitz than Larceny, and made me wish HH did some BP offerings other than their Select Stock. The 2nd bottle is a standard mash, coming in at 120.1 proof. Immediately I could tell the difference between this and the first. I have to say I was a bit disappointed, not at the whiskey, but at the price mainly. This definitely (second time I used that word?) has the typical KBD profile, which makes me wonder if it's worth the premium over Noah's Mill or something of that nature. I somewhat indifferent to the KBD products, not bad or good, just enjoy other things more in that price range. As for the whiskey, it's hot, not as much as the wheater which I found strange, but it finishes nice and is a good overall bourbon. I can't say I would've bought this one having tasted first. Either way complaining about getting yourself good bourbon is a fool's errand. It's nice to get in on some of these and I enjoyed tasting them both... cheers!

I looked for a cheapy I could overly indulge in, and grabbed the HH gold BIB . . . . For a $9 bourbon, you cant say one bad thing about it.

OGD BIB neat (two pours). My wife asked me to buy an Angel's Envy for her (she liked a cocktail made with it). One for her, two for me . . .

Starting off a three day weekend with some KCSB in me coffee. Only a few pours left in this bottle and then I'll open up the back-up.

Started off with some Colonel Lee BiB, then some Bull & Bush OESQ, now having some Eagle River OBSV. At this rate who knows what I will get into. Trying to be at the gazebo in spirit anyway :-)

Started with JBB. I bought a bottle today just to have one more 8 year old before they change over to NAS. Then moved on to a bottle of EWSB 2014.

4R 2014 SmB thanks to one Stefan Bing. Off profile. Nutty an hot. So different than any of the other SmBs but I like it. Not sure ill stock up on it like years past but glad to have this one.

Good notes, opened one today...nutty, hot and more side of mouth feel. Quick finish. Not bad, just a very different animal than the 125th.

After a long day at work, settling into some 2013 Michter's 20yr. Easily one of my favorite pours in recent memory.

S36EdB2.jpg?1

After a long day at work, settling into some 2013 Michter's 20yr. Easily one of my favorite pours in recent memory.

S36EdB2.jpg?1

A polarizing bottle given the uncertain sourcing and shameless NDP who brought it to market (not to mention the salty price tag). But all reports of the actual bourbon in the bottle have been VERY positive. And obviously you agree. Now here is the question....if you tasted it blind against some worthy competition would it stand up in terms of QPR? Not putting you on the spot, but if you feel inspired to provide some research for the good of the cause then I'm sure folks would be very interested in the results. I have a 20 yr Bernheim wheater that might be a good comparison. So maybe a Sampler blind challenge next April?

Started the evening with WTKS. I tend to like the Turkey's, but find this one to not quite be up to snuff for the price. 101 and RB are better to me and less expensive. I like the RR's better too. Still, I like it, so I will enjoy the rest of the bottle, I just know what to prioritize for future purchases.

Onto 4R Private Selection OESQ now. I think it's my third pour and it keeps getting better. I had the same experience with the OESK I finished a while back - thought it was weird at first, but grew into liking it quite a bit. Four Roses just knows what they are doing big time.

If you tasted it blind against some worthy competition would it stand up in terms of QPR? Not putting you on the spot, but if you feel inspired to provide some research for the good of the cause then I'm sure folks would be very interested in the results. I have a 20 yr Bernheim wheater that might be a good comparison. So maybe a Sampler blind challenge next April?

Great question. I was highly skeptical and planned on buying zero bottles when they hit the shelves, but was able to try some at a get-together (courtesy of a generous friend/SB'er). Went in wanting to hate it, but absolutely loved it.

QPR on this one is tough, since there are very few bottles that compete in the same category. I believe it's a wheater, so PVW20 and other Willett Bernheim wheaters are the "available" options. I don't have a ton of experience with the Willett Bernheim barrel-proofers, but I will say that the 2013 M20 13H126 bottle wins fairly handily over the Willett C43A I recently tried.

I will do my best to further research your question over the next 6 months and would love to do a blind competition in April! :D

Add me to the FR SmbLE list. Love the lighter feel and taste on this one. Very different profile from last year and not as good, but still worth adding to the bunker that is for sure.

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!