What bourbon are you drinking? Summer 14

Special Reserve
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Cracked open one of my Bourbon DeLuxe bottles, a '94 Beam era.

Wow, I won't be putting this into the rotation. It's definitely going into the "mixer" category. Of course, it was probably $9. But I could have spent that $9 better. I look forward (maybe) to one of the ND bottles. I guess I should keep this on hand to do a comparison. I imagine my '77 bottle and my early 80's tax strip bottle are better than this.

I'll probably ditch the glencairn, grab the tumbler and add coke.

I was gifted one of these, my assumption was your assessment. Might by more interesting to compare it to JIm Beam white because comparing it to bourbon deluxe of ND would be like comparing grapefruit to a pineapple tree.

Last night I did side by side 3 cognac finished wheated bourbons in one of the most interesting tastings I have ever done. Lots of note taking and a girlfriend staring at me like I'm a crazy person.

I was gifted one of these, my assumption was your assessment. Might by more interesting to compare it to JIm Beam white because comparing it to bourbon deluxe of ND would be like comparing grapefruit to a pineapple tree.

Last night I did side by side 3 cognac finished wheated bourbons in one of the most interesting tastings I have ever done. Lots of note taking and a girlfriend staring at me like I'm a crazy person.

I know what you mean. However, I also find value from experiencing the contrast in a lineup. It's one thing to have people tell you that something is what it is, but it's another thing entirely to see the contrast in a label's evolution yourself.

If it were more expensive it would be an obvious decision.

I know what you mean. However, I also find value from experiencing the contrast in a lineup. It's one thing to have people tell you that something is what it is, but it's another thing entirely to see the contrast in a label's evolution yourself.

I hear you, Old crow over the years is an interesting tasting of peaks and valleys for sure.

PHC POH, a great pour for my first night in Kentucky

Have fun, Tony! Wishing I was back there now, but April will be here before I know it.

had the last of a bottle of OGD114 while grilling some habanero-brownsugar-BBQ ribs tonight. Ive been going through and polishing off the bottles that either I dont visit regularly for one reason or another, or just dont overly enjoy. I like OGD114, but it may be a while before I grab another.

After whittling down the stash, I find myself left with the things I like most......Bookers, Dickel 9, WTRB, Larceny, HH6BIB, and WT101.

2011 Stagg in the glass tonight. This one is getting dangerously low, but there might be another in the bunker. :grin:

QgkhwGN.jpg?1

Having some Bulleit 10 tonight. Bulleit got me started into bourbon so I do have a bias towards the name. However, the Bulleit 10 is hitting all the right spots tonight. There is a sweet smokiness with berries in the background. I know this was Four Roses made and I can definitely taste the similarities.

Changing pace tonight, since someone gifted me a bottle of Finlaggan single malt. Very different from bourbon! Peaty. Very tasty.

celebrating my birthday with a legend

I have an open bottle and one "in the bunker"

somewhere I came across these and was smart enough to buy them

IMG_20130331_113259_355_zpsf5d07d67.jpg

preceded by some single malt

IMG_20140917_215701_220_zpsabf67c39.jpg

feea1820-ab42-4c5c-9bd2-5e4eb0b90c53_zps4da78e7b.jpg

7be855b0-8ea9-4f60-bd1b-58817f4e4773_zps872d5c9c.jpg

47f4afd9-7a88-46d7-8d5f-179cca9cf23a_zps8f2aa5ea.jpg

I'm still waiting for my cold to dissipate enough that I feel confident my palate is fully up to snuff, but had to try the new HHSS. Wonderful nose, the cognac influence is obvious but not overpowering. Initial taste was sweet - maybe honey? - and dark fruit, ramping up to a little alcohol zing that faded quickly. Great mouthfeel, nice finish. Just a terrific pour.

Some 4rSmb. 2nd pour from this bottle and its reading drier than its predesessor. The Ks seem to be center stage is this batch of small batch vs. the Os which were more prominent in the previous bottle. Both satisfying pours.

Tried a little BT mash bill #2 SBS. Recent store pick 2013 Blanton's vs. 2014 standard ETL.

The ETL definitely tastes a little older than the Blanton's, with a little more spice and tannins. The Blanton's is a little lighter in flavor, has more vanilla on the nose and palate, and a more pleasant finish. Both good bourbons.

I am in the dark on the Hirsch so would welcome any notes you may have on it, whats it like? and a VERY happy birthday to ya I rocked some 4R 125th on mine!! Gotta love those birthday pours.

celebrating my birthday with a legend

I have an open bottle and one "in the bunker"

somewhere I came across these and was smart enough to buy them

IMG_20130331_113259_355_zpsf5d07d67.jpg

preceded by some single malt

IMG_20140917_215701_220_zpsabf67c39.jpg

feea1820-ab42-4c5c-9bd2-5e4eb0b90c53_zps4da78e7b.jpg

7be855b0-8ea9-4f60-bd1b-58817f4e4773_zps872d5c9c.jpg

47f4afd9-7a88-46d7-8d5f-179cca9cf23a_zps8f2aa5ea.jpg

Working on a small pour of my home brew 4RYL. I can detect the components having gotten to know their component parts but gotta say that in this case they shine more individually than in concert ( some of my beloved Fs are in this mingle!!!!!!), at least that's my take and it. It also makes very clear that the proportions are not 1:1 That said, the BPYL is most certainly on the table long as MR Rutledge is formulating the mingle.

lunch at Little Goat

Fernet About It cocktail

IMG_20140918_131428_274_zpsa6c39f0c.jpg

IMG_20140918_131249_980_zps29091225.jpg

Los Drowned Sammich

IMG_20140918_133050_598_zpsc747c686.jpg

had to go to Binny's to pick up some special bourbon, so I grabbed the ingredients for the cocktail; already had the CH

now, have to figure out the proportions

IMG_20140918_163924_255_zpsef47f33d.jpg

4R 2014 SmB thanks to one Stefan Bing. Off profile. Nutty an hot. So different than any of the other SmBs but I like it. Not sure ill stock up on it like years past but glad to have this one.

i had one brutal day today, and jokingly thought about bringing home an IV set and tubing and putting myself on a bourbon drip as a result, but thought itd be better with tasting it.

I looked for a cheapy I could overly indulge in, and grabbed the HH gold BIB a friend gave me in June and hadnt opened. Its been a long time since Ive had one of these, and gotta say I find it quite enjoyable, and it comes across as more like a 90 proofer to me. For a $9 bourbon, you cant say one bad thing about it.

Cracked a Baker's 7 and Dickel 9. Figured the 107 vs the 103 proofs would be a fair fight. Started with small pours of each neat. Moved on to larger pour of the 9 with a few drops. Too early to tell, but I'm thinking that we'll manage. :grin:

Edited by Paddy

Cracked a Baker's 7 and Dickel 9. Figured the 107 vs the 103 proofs would be a fair fight. Started with small pours of each neat. Moved on to larger pour of the 9 with a few drops. Too early to tell, but I'm thinking that we'll manage. :grin:

both good, but thats a no-brainer to me! D9 it is!

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject!