About All Things Pappy/VanWinkle

wildcatdon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Okay, I'm going to say this even though my memory drive hasn't booted up yet so can't cannot reference why I think it to be correct. Why should we date BT rye production from and after the Van Winkle merger in 2002? Didn't they already have some aging rye stock on hand? Under the Sazerac umbrella they have access to Barton stock and Barton has regularly made rye for years.

It wasn't long ago that rye was no big deal. I recall Jimmy Russell saying at Wild Turkey they only set aside a day or so each year to distill enough rye stock to stay current with WT's annual rye sales figures. Rye was being produced by more than one distiller back then but represented only a small segment of the whisky market so I'm saying I think that either through their own production or acquired through various deals BT was not ryeless prior to 2002.

I didn't know when BT started making rye and if they had been doing it long enough to have 13 yr stock on hand.

The press release for the first release of "baby" Sazerac Rye in 2005 claimed that the rye was "7 summers old." That would mean BT started distilling their own rye around 1998/99 at the latest. So, yes.

The press release for the first release of "baby" Sazerac Rye in 2005 claimed that the rye was "7 summers old." That would mean BT started distilling their own rye around 1998/99 at the latest. So, yes.
The Thomas H. Handy Sazerac Rye first came out in 2006 and was 8 years and 5 months old. So that tracks for a 1998 start to BT Rye production, at the latest.

gave this to my son for his 21st birthday

I got it in 2007 when Julian was in town for WhiskyFest; he was signing bottles at Lush a couple of nights before

I figure it's still S-W juice; hope he appreciates it

ab296293-2739-4a8b-a3eb-2f58550cc905_zps10a45b9c.jpg0bee65fd-b1fc-4cd1-993a-c2ed88a7ac13_zpsbd32d23f.jpg

gave this to my son for his 21st birthday

I got it in 2007 when Julian was in town for WhiskyFest; he was signing bottles at Lush a couple of nights before

I figure it's still S-W juice; hope he appreciates it

Very nice Ken. Great present for sure. :bowdown:

I read a month or so ago that total wines sent out a email to customers that they holding their bottles of Pappy till February. Is that correct? Anyone have a copy of that communication?

The Whisky Magazine auction watch shows that PVW passed Port Ellen in recent auction sales and has cracked the top 10 of all worldwide brands being tracked at auction. I find this to be crazy because the PVWs are still all currently available, even though they're not S-W, vs a legendary closed malt distillery. I'm sure some of the big PVW sales are S-W, but this just doesn't really compute with me.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to a bar with a buddy (and fellow SB'er) yesterday and had ORVW 10, PVW 15 & 20, Saz 18 and WLW (2014).

My enthusiasm for the PVW line has slowly been degrading. To me, the 10 is decent if you can get it at retail, but I like the 2013 much more than the 2014 release.

When it comes to the 15 and 20, there are trade-offs. The nose on the 15 is subtle. It has a nice viscous mouth feel, though a bit on the thin side, but still nice. The flavor flattens out rather quickly and doesn't have enough of that oily tongue digging bite I'd like to have in a 107 proof. The 20 on the other hand has a much more deliciously complex nose. I was searching for that nice chewey viscous texture, but was disappointed. The moderately complex balance of sweet and spice made up for the textural disappointment, but I still wouldn't pay over retail for it, especially at 90 proof.

I had to finish the lunch off on a good note, so I split a a WLW with my hommie and got on with the day. Oh...an my pre-lunch appetizer was a Saz 18 (not bad, not bad...pretty good pretty good)

We finished off the day w/ a quick stop off at a local shop and picked up

post-10865-14489821935958_thumb.jpg

And because this was my first time trying Saz 18, I wanted to compare it against the Ritt21...no comparison. And I wanted to finish the day off with another special pour (Charbay R3).

post-10865-14489821936187_thumb.jpg

Ahhh...Life's Good...even though the 2014 PVW line up isn't. (Harsh statement, I know, but the PVW line is way over hyped this year).

post-10865-14489821935846_thumb.jpg

I went to a bar with a buddy (and fellow SB'er) yesterday and had ORVW 10, PVW 15 & 20, Saz 18 and WLW (2014).

My enthusiasm for the PVW line has slowly been degrading. To me, the 10 is decent if you can get it at retail, but I like the 2013 much more than the 2014 release.

When it comes to the 15 and 20, there are trade-offs. The nose on the 15 is subtle. It has a nice viscous mouth feel, though a bit on the thin side, but still nice. The flavor flattens out rather quickly and doesn't have enough of that oily tongue digging bite I'd like to have in a 107 proof. The 20 on the other hand has a much more deliciously complex nose. I was searching for that nice chewey viscous texture, but was disappointed. The moderately complex balance of sweet and spice made up for the textural disappointment, but I still wouldn't pay over retail for it, especially at 90 proof.

I had to finish the lunch off on a good note, so I split a a WLW with my hommie and got on with the day. Oh...an my pre-lunch appetizer was a Saz 18 (not bad, not bad...pretty good pretty good)

We finished off the day w/ a quick stop off at a local shop and picked up

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20149[/ATTACH]

And because this was my first time trying Saz 18, I wanted to compare it against the Ritt21...no comparison. And I wanted to finish the day off with another special pour (Charbay R3).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20150[/ATTACH]

Ahhh...Life's Good...even though the 2014 PVW line up isn't. (Harsh statement, I know, but the PVW line is way over hyped this year).[/QUOT

what did you think of the charbay?

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a bottle of ORVW 10 yr/107 last week in Upstate NY - price tag of 47.99 was excellent...bottle code indicates this was bottled in early 2014...apparently only 3 bottles were received...

Picked up a bottle of ORVW 10 yr/107 last week in Upstate NY - price tag of 47.99 was excellent...bottle code indicates this was bottled in early 2014...apparently only 3 bottles were received...

Well done. I have two bottles of the ORVW 10. On one, bottle code looks smudged. The other bottle doesn't even have one. Gave to believe these are 2014 though since most places don't keep anything winkle related on the shelves long.

What was really interesting about spotting ORVW 10 for 47.99 was the fact that I saw more over the weekend - this time behind a glass display - price tag - 325.99 (!) - have to hand it to one retailer for putting the 3 bottles he received on the shelf with a sub-50 price tag...not to go OT but the same store had 3 picks from the 2014 BTAC priced very reasonably - GTS for 76.99...

This just in: Robert Van Winkle has been arrested for burglary.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/entertainment/entertainment-news/Robert-Van-Winkle-AKA-Vanilla-Ice-Arrested-in-Residential-Burglary-Police-292442671.html

I'm just having a little fun. After all, the thread title is "All Things Pappy/VanWinkle", so technically this is appropriate! And maybe it will scare some flipper into dumping his or her stash of "Pappy".

• 2 weeks later...

So I thought this would be the best place to ask this... I've been asking around about Pappy in local liquor stores, and most claim they receive about 4-5 bottles of either ORVW10 and RVWLB12.. It seems only the selected stores on Pappy's website receive Pappy 15,20,&23. Is this an accurate assumption?

Also, as far as pricing, the couple stores I went into here in FL told me they sell their Lot B bottles for around $300. This seems way too expensive to me, and I wouldn't spend that on a bottle of Lot B when I can readily get WLW12 anywhere for $29. I was wondering for those who were lucky enough to score a bottle of Pappy 15,20,23, how much did you pay for those bottles? I feel like the secondary market is pushing the retail prices to a ridiculous level where chasing this stuff won't be worth it anymore.

Insight from rom everyone is appreciated!

It's not worth it.

The prices for the three van winkle products people try to pass off as "pappy" are laughable. They're not worth a penny over MSRP. Though I would say that about the others as well.

MSRP:

15: $80

20: $130

23: $250

What I've seen:

15: $100

20: $180

23: $280

It's not worth it.

The prices for the three van winkle products people try to pass off as "pappy" are laughable. They're not worth a penny over MSRP. Though I would say that about the others as well.

MSRP:

15: $80

20: $130

23: $250

What I've seen:

15: $100

20: $180

23: $280

Chris, thanks for the information. Very helpful in knowing what to expect. Seems my local stores are way above those prices and are gouging naive/ignorant customers.

Does anyone know if certain states or locations receive more stock than other places? Does the state of Kentucky hold more stock since it's the home state? It has been a struggle in Florida to find anything North of $50 that is really worth it, besides say a bottle of WhistlePig or Booker's.

No one gets pappy anymore. You pretty much have to sleep in the parking lot overnight for a "chance" at a bottle. Make friends around here. Eventually someone will share with you what you've been missing. In the meantime go pick up an old weller antique. It'll do in the meantime

Good advice Kevin. And as Mr. mackaroni is in FLA, pick up Weller 12 yr too. ABC usually has it. Don't chase ghosts. And don't overpay.

• fishnbowljoe unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.