About All Things Pappy/VanWinkle

wildcatdon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Saw Pappy 20 on the shelf the other day. Nearly walked right by it. Was stunned to see one in the wild like that. Asking price was $799 though, so maybe it's not that surprising it was sitting on a shelf.

Saw Pappy 20 on the shelf the other day. Nearly walked right by it. Was stunned to see one in the wild like that. Asking price was $799 though, so maybe it's not that surprising it was sitting on a shelf.

At that price I'm surprised it wasn't behind locked glass.

At that price I'm surprised it wasn't behind locked glass.

The really crazy part is that other stores in the LA area were selling Pappy between $1500 and $2000. And guess what... They all sold out. It's sheer madness.

The stores that jack up the prices in Maryland all eventually sell out, too. Fools and their money . . .

Yep just saw a bunch of those today. Still for sell though.

The stores that jack up the prices in Maryland all eventually sell out, too. Fools and their money . . .

I'd love to meet the people who pay those prices and ask them what they were thinking.

I'd love to meet the people who pay those prices and ask them what they were thinking.
Keep in mind there is a ton of money in the DC/Baltimore area. What they're probably thinking is "$2000 and all I have to do is walk in the store and plunk down my Centurion card? No hunting? No favors? I'll take the set! That'll impress --client, golfing buddy, etc--!!"

I wonder what people who spend $2,000 on a bottle think when they actually taste the whiskey. They can't honestly think that it was worth it. There has to be some disappointment.

I wonder what people who spend $2,000 on a bottle think when they actually taste the whiskey. They can't honestly think that it was worth it. There has to be some disappointment.

I think they made up their minds about how good it was before they ever tasted it.

The really crazy part is that other stores in the LA area were selling Pappy between $1500 and $2000. And guess what... They all sold out. It's sheer madness.

I went to a PVW raffle this past Sunday at a small independent store - they lured us all in with an email blast announcing their special PVW Release Party. Upon arriving, we found out they were charging $1000 for the 23yr, $400 for the lot B, and $300 for the ORVW 10yr. Boy......what a privilege for the winners. I refused to drop my tickets in the cup and marveled at all the people willingly dropping their tickets in the cup for the 23yr. Appearances aren't everything of course, but these people looked like regular joes to me, not high rollers, and they were lining up for the chance to spend $1000 on one bottle.

The thing that gets me is that if you're going to spend $1000+ for PVW, that opens you up to a much larger world, in terms of whisk(e)y in general. At $2000, you're also able to buy some legendary scotch- Laphroaig 30, Macallan 30, Highland Park 40, very old Glenfarclas Family Cask ('60s vintages), vintage Ardbeg, etc. PVW is good stuff, but not worth it at all when you're talking $1000+.

Even at under $1000, you're still up against stuff like Glendronach Grandeur, Glenglassaugh 37, Laphroaig 25 CS, Brora 35, etc. As well as stuff like Eldorado 25, Santiago de Cuba 25, and some very high-end Cognac and Armagnac.

I guess that doesn't matter if you're only interested in bourbon and nothing else.

It is easy to underestimate the raw number of people alive today who have so much money that they could not spend all of it in their lifetime even if they really tried.

This basic dynamic is nothing new. A Rolex does not keep time as well as a Timex, but for people who buy Rolexes, keeping time is not the point. A $15,000 flavor-of-the-month designer purse does not hold your junk better than a $15 purse, but holding your stuff is not the point. The point is having something expensive that other people can recognized as expensive and that they have seen on TV. It is also easy to underestimate the number of people who confuse this concept (conspicuous consumption) with having "good taste".

I suspect they're only interested in the Pappy label. Whether for the perceived status or they truly believe it will be a remarkable drinking experience who knows.

Found a ORVW 10yr and 12yr Lot B at lunch. Paid more than retail but it wasn't too bad considering the store was asking $899 for the 20yr and $1599 for the 23yr.

Like spending $12 bucks for a Miller Lite at ballgame, it isn't the beer in the cup you are paying for. It's the opportunity to enjoy that beverage in those surroundings.

Paying 1k for a pappy 20 or 23 isn't about the whiskey in the bottle. It's about the way it makes you feel before it ever touches your lips. It's the reaction your buddies have when they see it sitting on your bar.

I have paid well over $1000 for a bottle of $20 vodka and some red bulls in a Vegas club. But it was never about the GNS in the bottle, it was the environment and the way we were treated like royalty during the whole process. Walking past a 500 deep line to an elevator that took us to our table. To the bouncer in our section knowing our name and walking my wife to the bathroom. To the super model "server" in a skimpy outfit pouring our drinks. It wasn't about the vodka and red bull. It was the experience.

I have paid well over $1000 for a bottle of $20 vodka and some red bulls in a Vegas club. But it was never about the GNS in the bottle, it was the environment and the way we were treated like royalty during the whole process. Walking past a 500 deep line to an elevator that took us to our table. To the bouncer in our section knowing our name and walking my wife to the bathroom. To the super model "server" in a skimpy outfit pouring our drinks. It wasn't about the vodka and red bull. It was the experience.

Been there, done that and it was worth every penny although those days are now history for me but I don't regret it one bit.

If paying $1000 for a bottle of Pappy makes someone feel like a big spender I've got no problem with that, it's their money. Of course I also live in a part of the country where you can see a fully tricked out $50,000 truck parked in the driveway of a trailer house worth barely five.

Found a ORVW 10yr and 12yr Lot B at lunch. Paid more than retail but it wasn't too bad considering the store was asking $899 for the 20yr and $1599 for the 23yr.

Nice find. Congratulations!

It has been hard for me to find any ORVW or Lot B or PVW in the Bay Area. I keep missing out by a day or two.

Most stores got in little inventory or so I was told.

I'd consider paying $1K for PVW so long as a supermodel in a skimpy outfit pops out of the liquor cabinet and into my living room every time I want a 1/4 ounce pour :) By my rough estimate, that's about 100 visits from said super model at $10 per visit. Add in the small taste of PVW each time and I'd say that's a bargain.

I'd consider paying $1K for PVW so long as a supermodel in a skimpy outfit pops out of the liquor cabinet and into my living room every time I want a 1/4 ounce pour :) By my rough estimate, that's about 100 visits from said super model at $10 per visit. Add in the small taste of PVW each time and I'd say that's a bargain.

For $1K she sounds a little over dressed to me...

• fishnbowljoe unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.