About All Things Pappy/VanWinkle

wildcatdon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I'm surprised Bevmos in Seattle didn't go online with their Van Winkle bottles.

Has anyone confirmed a 2014 bottling of the rye?

I'm surprised Bevmos in Seattle didn't go online with their Van Winkle bottles.

Has anyone confirmed a 2014 bottling of the rye?

It was noted a few pages back in this thread that Binny's got some. Seems to be rare this year. Haven't had a sniff of it this year in Atlanta and it is one I try to look for.

A local store just announced their lottery, and it's a weird combination of lottery AND gouging. You get tickets for stopping in and buying something, and then if your name gets drawn you get the opportunity to pay these prices:

ORVW10 - $149.99

Lot B - $149.99

PVW15 - $299.99

PVW20 - $399.99

PVW23 - $599.99

I'm not going to stand around in a lottery crowd for that.

I was curious about the bottle codes. A buddy picked up his in NY but it had a 2013 bottle code.

I was curious about the bottle codes. A buddy picked up his in NY but it had a 2013 bottle code.

People seem extra conspiracy theorish about the bottle codes this year.

Every year the release includes bottlings from previous years. If you search his old posts here when he still participated on the board, JVW explained this - they will often bottle 2-3 years worth depending on what is matured at what time from their available stocks. The rye was tanked years ago and there is belief that it is all now in bottles, and the next "new" bottling will be BT product.

The rye was tanked years ago and there is belief that it is all now in bottles, and the next "new" bottling will be BT product.

If levels in the tank were getting low, it makes perfect sense to bottle all of it.

Just left a store and they said they got some on Tuesday. They said it came unexpectedly since their rep said not this week. Interesting...

Grabbed an Van winkle 13 Rye today and was surprised at the 2013 laser code, guess they hold some back.

Grabbed an Van winkle 13 Rye today and was surprised at the 2013 laser code, guess they hold some back.

See the discussion on the previous page

I follow the RWB blog, if for no other reason than he's one of the few bloggers who lists things you might also enjoy or might buy instead at the end of his reviews. I think it's a nice touch, and gives you insight into how he perceives bourbon.

At any rate, I had the 2014 PVW15 and was thoroughly unimpressed. But I have to caveat that by saying I'm not big on wheaters, especially not BT wheaters (every wheated bourbon or whiskey I've tried that I've liked has been from Heaven Hill), and especially especially not old oaky wheaters. I've had the entire VW lineup spread out over various annual releases and the only one I've enjoyed has been the ORVW 10/107. I really wanted to like that PVW15, too . . .

So what I'm saying is that my opinion should be ignored if you are already a fan of wheated BT bourbon. I should also add that I've never tried them blind, so it is completely possible that I'm biased.

I don't know what is up with ORVW10 the last few years but it has been damn nice. It's the only VW I have bunkered now. My 2013 PVW15 was very disappointing at my last tasting...

I don't know what is up with ORVW10 the last few years but it has been damn nice. It's the only VW I have bunkered now. My 2013 PVW15 was very disappointing at my last tasting...

I would echo this. Last year's 10 beat the socks off the Lot B and, for now beats the 15 for overall balance and KILLS it on QPR. The 15(from'13) was really closed and medicinal first pour. It does open up a bit with time but I am still getting far more tannic astringency than wheater caramel and apple pastry.

What is up is that Buffalo Trace makes a damn good 10 year old 107 proof wheater. Seems to be their sweet spot. Any older than that? Meh, not for me.

I go to a store today that I was on an PVW/BTAC list and did not get called.

They somehow misspelled my name and it would not match to whatever so they gave me a 2013 ER17 as a consolation prize.

I happened to have a 20% off coupon so I left the store very happy as they could have given me nothing.

Driving home I pass a decent size liquor store I have never been to so I stopped to have a look.

At the bourbon isle I see a large selection but high prices like ER10 at 41, as i am looking through the deep bookshelf type shelves I notice all the way in the back an single EHTBP. As i am trying to find the price label on the shelf that matches the Taylor bottle I see on the other side there is a PVW lot B.

I immediately pick up the bottle go to the counter an ask for the price, guy says 109 and I have another in the back.

He comes from the back with an PVW10 and apologizes saying he made a mistake it is not a LOT B.

He looks up the price for the 10 and tells me its 199, I will just take the Lot B i told him.

First PVW i have EVER found on a shelf.

... I see on the other side there is a PVW lot B.

...He comes from the back with an PVW10 and apologizes saying he made a mistake it is not a LOT B.

First PVW i have EVER found on a shelf.

• fishnbowljoe unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.