About All Things Pappy/VanWinkle

wildcatdon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

I scored my 1 and only PVW 20 last year at a local ABC after being on the list for 2 years for 140 bucks. I'd be lying if I said the thought of selling didn't cross my mind once or twice...I mean in this day and age what investment has had that sort of rate of return in such a short period. All I know is that when I do finally open it I'm going to enjoy the fact that I'll be drinking an alleged $1000+ bottle that I paid $140 for.

Yeah, that bottle is $10K+ my friend.

Well, she doesn't have to be a supermodel as far as I am concerned! I have seen more than a few candidates that would be just fine to handle my occasional pour that have no particularly notoriety at all. And that way I can have more than a 1/4 ounce pour!

What can I say, priorities change as you get older...

:cool:

In addition to being a whiskey enthusiast, I'm a guitar enthusiast. There's this overdrive pedal that is sort of the Pappy of the guitar world. It's called a Klon Centaur. The pedal is handmade by a guy in Massachusetts and amassed a months-long waiting list due to it's popularity. The sticker price was set around $300. I got on the waiting list years ago and got one at sticker price. Mere days after I received it, the builder discontinued the pedal. Well, as you can imagine, the frenzy over the pedal shot through the roof after the scant availability was made even more scant. Now the pedal fetches around $2000 on eBay.

I bring it up because I have a Klon and am constantly debating putting it up for sale. Is it worth thousands? Of course not. It's just a very good overdrive the same way Pappy is just a very good bourbon. I feel ridiculous having something that's so absurdly overpriced, then again I do really enjoy it and if I sell it the money will just be applied to bills and be gone in a matter of months. If I keep it I'll always have this amazing rare pedal.

Of course, there's one crucial difference between Pappy and the Klon; a bottle of Pappy provides only 750 ml of enjoyment, whereas the Klon's performance can last near a lifetime.

Anyway, just thought it was an interesting parallel. Kind of funny how every niche interest breeds these kinds of phenomena.

A good friend, and bourbon enthusiast, from work relayed a post-Christmas story today. His brother is a biomedical engineer who works directly with doctors on innovative patient-specific therapies. During their Christmas get-together, his brother, who is not a bourbon enthusiast, told him that a friend came over a while back and several friends sat around drinking a bottle of PVW23. They knew that Pappy was popular, but not being whiskey drinkers, they thought it tasted like any other whiskey so they mixed it with soda. Apparently, his brother who buys a lot of "gifts" for friends, ended up buying several bottles locally (Indy area). His contacts hooked him up with ORVW, PVW15 and PVW23. Now, to top this off, one of his doctor "friends" asked him to buy him a bottle of PVW23 if he "ran" across one. While travelling in lake country in Northern Indiana, he ran across a PVW23 in a random store so he bought it for $200. He told my friend, his brother, that it is not uncommon to stop in stores in some of the lake communities and find random premium bottles. Once people close their lake houses for the season, retail sales at liquor stores drops off dramatically.

At first I questioned whether his brother was pulling his leg, but then I remembered the circles he runs in and my guess is that he spends a lot of money entertaining clients so he probably does get first shot from his regular stores.

Doing a sbs of ORVW and Lot B from the 2014. ORVW is clear winner IMO. More complex and sweeter. Both great whiskies.

In addition to being a whiskey enthusiast, I'm a guitar enthusiast. There's this overdrive pedal that is sort of the Pappy of the guitar world. It's called a Klon Centaur. The pedal is handmade by a guy in Massachusetts and amassed a months-long waiting list due to it's popularity. The sticker price was set around $300. I got on the waiting list years ago and got one at sticker price. Mere days after I received it, the builder discontinued the pedal. Well, as you can imagine, the frenzy over the pedal shot through the roof after the scant availability was made even more scant. Now the pedal fetches around $2000 on eBay.

I bring it up because I have a Klon and am constantly debating putting it up for sale. Is it worth thousands? Of course not. It's just a very good overdrive the same way Pappy is just a very good bourbon. I feel ridiculous having something that's so absurdly overpriced, then again I do really enjoy it and if I sell it the money will just be applied to bills and be gone in a matter of months. If I keep it I'll always have this amazing rare pedal.

Of course, there's one crucial difference between Pappy and the Klon; a bottle of Pappy provides only 750 ml of enjoyment, whereas the Klon's performance can last near a lifetime.

Anyway, just thought it was an interesting parallel. Kind of funny how every niche interest breeds these kinds of phenomena.

Lol, great analogy. I'm a guitar player as well and know plenty about the Klon craze. Similarly, I have a white dot Sunface that I recently decided to sell… I think I would have traded it for a bottle of PVW15 lol. Not that either are the be all end all mind you. I just wish I would've gotten into the bourbon craze years ago when I could actually obtain these kinds of releases. It was about three years ago when I really got into bourbon, and of course, that fall I had to try and get some Pappy. I did really well and ended up with a 10, 12, and two 20s. But I haven't bothered since. I would be happy with a 10 every year but I won't break my back over it.

Lol, great analogy. I'm a guitar player as well and know plenty about the Klon craze. Similarly, I have a white dot Sunface that I recently decided to sell… I think I would have traded it for a bottle of PVW15 lol. Not that either are the be all end all mind you. I just wish I would've gotten into the bourbon craze years ago when I could actually obtain these kinds of releases. It was about three years ago when I really got into bourbon, and of course, that fall I had to try and get some Pappy. I did really well and ended up with a 10, 12, and two 20s. But I haven't bothered since. I would be happy with a 10 every year but I won't break my back over it.

Yep, the white dot sunface is a pretty fantastic pedal! Don't blame you for selling it though. Like you, I missed the days of ubiquitous Pappys, but I've been lucky enough to get some really good bottles here and there. Based on the Pappys I've had I would not go breaking my back to find them either. I actually thought last year's old rip was better than the two bottles of Pappy I've tried. I guess I could sell the Klon to finance the purchase of a wildly overpriced Pappy, but frankly I think the Klon is a better overdrive than Pappy is a bourbon.

I'm more of a guitar gear collector than I am a player these days, but I still hold hope that that may change (would like to get into a house where I can turn up more without bothering anyone). Good to read that there are some other guitar gear "cork sniffers" here among the bourbon...er...cork sniffers.

I'll echo what others have said and sing the praises of the ORVW10 yr. Just wonderful stuff. As I said in another thread, I'd give up all future chances at others in the PVW line for an unlimited supply of this one. It clearly blows away last years lot B (which is still a nice whiskey). I've read that this year's lot B is really good and I have one on the way so I'll do a sbs, but I still expect the 10 to be superior. I also have the 13yr rye on the way. That one I'm really looking forward to as I've tried it twice at a bar and remember being quite impressed.

I recently did a SBS of the 2014 ORVW10 and the Lot B. I have drunk a fair amount of 2013, so I can confidently say that the 2014 stuff is quite different.

I prefer ORVW to Lot B in the 13 versions, but have found the 14 to be the exact opposite. The 14 ORVW is distinctly woody, with a tannic aftertaste that I found unpleasant. The 14 Lot B was much better, although the lower proof definitely made the flavors less strong.

Glad to have read all these accolades about ORVW.

I was pretty much resigned to the stark reality that I wasn't getting anything VanWinkle this season and that my bourbon shopping was done for the year. I wasn't willing to pay gouged prices, the ABC in Florida had an email lottery system which I entered but I never heard a peep, Total Wine said none of their stores in the state would be getting anything except one store in Orlando but not until March (maybe), my other connection at a Total Wine in Maryland hasn't heard anything, another local chain that gets it weren't divulging any info but never stopped taking additional names for their waiting list, and a small local store that was keeping me at the top of their list were told at the last minute that they will not receive any this year.[emoji17]

So I decide on a whim to go into a Publix supermarket chain liquor store just today after picking up a prescription.

This is a place where I had already discussed weeks earlier with the manager & he said he didn't expect anything Pappy or BTAC, at least he was not able to order it. He didn't even know what they were.

I look in their high end locked cabinet - just some WT Diamond & something Woodsford Reserve in the bourbon category...I gradually scan upwards to the top of the shelf behind the counter & I see something magically familiar hiding behind a handwritten "$54.99" sign - my heart skipped a beat, my jaw just drops. "Are you kidding me?!!"

I ask the clerk - OMG, is there a limit on those?

He replies - you want all three, don't you?

OH YEA I DO!!! [emoji14]

post-10990-1448982184718_thumb.jpg

I was pretty much resigned to the stark reality that I wasn't getting anything VanWinkle this season and that my bourbon shopping was done for the year. I wasn't willing to pay gouged prices, the ABC in Florida had an email lottery system which I entered but I never heard a peep, Total Wine said none of their stores in the state would be getting anything except one store in Orlando but not until March (maybe), my other connection at a Total Wine in Maryland hasn't heard anything, another local chain that gets it weren't divulging any info but never stopped taking additional names for their waiting list, and a small local store that was keeping me at the top of their list were told at the last minute that they will not receive any this year.[emoji17]

So I decide on a whim to go into a Publix supermarket chain liquor store just today after picking up a prescription.

This is a place where I had already discussed weeks earlier with the manager & he said he didn't expect anything Pappy or BTAC, at least he was not able to order it. He didn't even know what they were.

I look in their high end locked cabinet - just some WT Diamond & something Woodsford Reserve in the bourbon category...I gradually scan upwards to the top of the shelf behind the counter & I see something magically familiar hiding behind a handwritten "$54.99" sign - my heart skipped a beat, my jaw just drops. "Are you kidding me?!!"

OH YEA I DO!!! [emoji14]

[ATTACH]20004[/ATTACH]

I love success stories! Congrat!

Will

you want all three, don't you?

OH YEA I DO!!! [emoji14]

[ATTACH]20004[/ATTACH]

Scoooooooooore!!!!!

God bless Publix! I love that chain and wish we had them here in Ky. Congratulations!

My wife and I saw one of these stores for the first time in Florida a few years ago. Part of the signage was hidden behind a tree when we drove up so we thought the name of the store was Pubix.

Publix, great store and they are in Ga and Tn but aren't allowed to sell liqour in either.

It's my understanding they could sell in GA if they wanted, but would be held to the 2 store limit imposed by the 3 tier system in the state.

OH YEA I DO!!! [emoji14]

[ATTACH]20004[/ATTACH]

Well done. A story that will be with you forever. Enjoy!

I got a note today from someone who found a bottle of the 2014-release rye in the wild and that got me thinking. 2014-2002=12. We assume ORVW10 is BT. Should we assume Lot B and VWFRR (both 12-year-olds) are too as of the 2014 release?

But my VWFRR bottles all say 13 years old (and are all of 2011-2012 vintage). Does this year's rye say only 12 years? Otherwise, I don't understand your math.

I believe this year's family reserve rye was bottled December 2013, if that matters. I have read rumors that this year was a blend of the vatted stuff and BT rye, but I didn't know when BT started making rye and if they had been doing it long enough to have 13 yr stock on hand.

Also, as the guy above me says, the bottles I have seen all say 13 yr.

• fishnbowljoe unpinned this topic

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.